What music would you love to see a drum corps do that hasn't been

Music from Howard Shore's score to "The Lord of the Rings". Blue Devils C and a few international corps have done it, but I want to see/hear a World Class treatment. Someone in another thread mentioned Crown as possibility. They'd be perfect for it.

Edited by tubabeard42
  • Like 2

What is a "serial piece"?

Sorry, I was referring to 12-tone serialism (i.e., the music of Schoenberg).

12 tone music for dummies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5dOI2MtvbA

Weirdly enough, Phantom Regiment played a Schoenberg piece in 2000 but it wasn't a 12 tone work.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there's ever been an explicitly 12-tone work played in drum corps. The Bird & Bela piece BD has played a bunch of times has a few 12 tone inspired sections, but I don't think it's entirely 12 tone.

On that note, I've always thought Phantom Regiment would be able to pull this off in black uniforms. A Berg, Schoenberg, & Webern show with them in the black unis just sounds too awesome.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

12 tone music for dummies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5dOI2MtvbA

Weirdly enough, Phantom Regiment played a Schoenberg piece in 2000 but it wasn't a 12 tone work.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think there's ever been an explicitly 12-tone work played in drum corps. The Bird & Bela piece BD has played a bunch of times has a few 12 tone inspired sections, but I don't think it's entirely 12 tone.

On that note, I've always thought Phantom Regiment would be able to pull this off in black uniforms. A Berg, Schoenberg, & Webern show with them in the black unis just sounds too awesome.

My thanks to you both. I've learned something new today...even if I don't understand it.

:thumbup:

If I were a bit more motivated today, I could look on corpreps and see if my memory is correct, but I think "Somebody to Love" along with other Queen favorites, "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Killer Queen," and of course "We Will Rock You/We are the Champions" were pretty standard fare, especially for smaller more local corps, but that's not to say they can't be revisited as Carolina Crown showed us last year with "Rach Star." I don't remember any corps performing "Bicycle Race" but that's not to say it hasn't been done.

Personally, I've thought for a while that Gilbert and Sullivan could be fun for a corps to attempt. The patter sings would be challenging for a corps, there are plenty of melodies for ballads, great ensemble pieces, and with such fun music, the shows could be a great time for audiences. That being said, I've suggested it before, probably on one of these threads, and no one has called me to ask me to further elaborate on my great idea, so maybe I'm guilty fo thinking just because I like it, it will work for drum corps.

Yesterday afternoon I was driving to Cape Cod for the day (not a great idea on the Friday of Labor Day weekend), and had plenty of time to listen to music. I was in a Phantom mood and listened to the 1989 "New World Symphony" show and 1999's treatment of Tchaikovsky's 4th, 5th, and 6th symphonies (a rather underrated show). It got me thinking about other symphonies. Two of the Killer "B's" Beethoven and Brahms have largely been ignored. Glassmen has performed Beethoven, and 7th Regimnent used Symphony #7 as an opener this past year, and Crown and Phantom did Symphony #9. Kilties did a bit of Symphony #5 as part fo "Roll Over Beethoven," but I'm not sure that counts. Brahms was done by Blue Knights a few years back, but by and large a great deal has been ignored by these two composers.

I know it's been done before, but I'd love to see some shows based on Duke Ellington and Glenn Miller that would include some of the well known pieces but also the lesser known.

"Transfigured Night" ("Verklärte Nacht") was written in 1899, over two decades before he created his version of serialism.

I have long wished Phantom Regiment would do Olivier Messiaen's "Turangalîla-Symphonie." This is just the first movement. My favorite theme, which comes in quite often throughout the entire symphony, starts at 0:36.

I could come up with a million. There are so many great works by lesser known composers and lesser known works by great composers that haven't even been sniffed by DCI. For starters...

YASUSHI AKUTAGAWA (heavily influenced by Stravinsky and Shostakovich)

-- Ellora Symphony

-- Music for Symphony Orchestra

-- Rapsodia for Orchestra

GRANVILLE BANTOCK

-- Thalaba the Destroyer

BELA BARTOK

-- Allegro Barbaro

-- Kossuth

-- Six Dances in Bulgarian Rhythm, No. 153 from "Mikrokosmos"

-- Romanian Dance

-- Buciumeana from "Romanian Folk Dances" (a different piece)

-- Transylvanian Dance No. 3

ARNOLD BAX

-- Overture to a Picaresque Comedy

-- Symphony No. 1, Movement III

NIKOLAI BUDASHKIN

-- Fantasy on Two Folk Songs

PAUL CRESTON

-- Interlude and Dance

-- Symphony No. 5, Movement I

-- Toccata

ANTONIN DVORAK

-- Slavonic Dance, Op. 46, No. 8 "Furiant"

-- Slavonic Dance, Op. 72, No. 2 "Starodavny"

-- Slavonic Dance, Op. 72, No. 7 "Srbske Kolo"

-- Symphonic Variations on an Original Theme

DAVID GILLINGHAM

-- Galactic Empires

ALBERTO GINASTERA

-- Overture to Fausto criollo

PHILIP GLASS

-- Symphonies Nos. 2, 5

JERRY GOLDSMITH

-- Soundtrack to "Congo"

CHARLES TOMLINSON GRIFFES (an American version of Debussy)

-- The Lake at Evening from "Three Tone Poems"

-- The White Peacock

JOHANN HALVORSEN

-- Norwegian Rhapsody No. 2

JACQUE IBERT

-- Bacchanale

KAMRAN INCE

-- Concerto for Orchestra, Turkish Instruments, and Voices

VASILY KALINNIKOV

-- Symphony No. 1

ARAM KHACHATURIAN

-- Waltz, Mazurka, and/or Galop from "Masquerade"

-- Symphony No. 2, Movement IV

ZOLTAN KODALY

-- Dances of Marosszék

-- Theatre Overture

GUSTAV MAHLER

-- Symphony No. 4

ARVO PART

-- Agnus Dei

SERGEI RACHMANINOFF

-- The Bells

-- Russian Song No. 3: Belilitsy, rumyanitsy, vy moy

-- Symphony No. 1, Movement IV

MAURICE RAVEL

-- La Valse

-- Toccata from "Le Tombeau de Couperin"

OTTORINO RESPIGHI

-- The REST of Belkis, Queen of Sheba (Ottorino Respighi) (i.e., Solomon's Dream, Orgiastic Dance)

-- Dance of the Gnomes (Ottorino Respighi)

SILVESTRE REVUELTAS

-- Homenaje e Federico Garcia Lorca

-- La Coronela

YURI SHISHAKOV

-- The Living Room

DMITRI SHOSTAKOVICH

-- Sentimental Romance (Ballet Suite No. 2)

-- Elegy from "The Human Comedy" (Ballet Suite No. 3)

-- The Execution of Stepan Razin (the first six minutes are IMMENSE; it's criminal this hasn't found its way to DCI yet)

-- The Fall of Berlin

-- Symphonies Nos. 4, 8, 11, 13, and 15

-- The Tale of a Priest and His Worker, Balda

ISOTARO SUGATA

-- Dancing Girl in the Desert

JOSEF SUK

-- In the Power of Phantoms from "Summer Tale"

JOAQUIN TURINA

-- Orgia from "Danzas Fantasticas"

RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS

-- Beat Beat Drums from "Dona nobis pacem"

GIUSEPPE VERDI