What music would you love to see a drum corps do that hasn't been

Drum corps has found substance in the music of Eric Whitacre. What about Morten Lauridsen... Magnum Mysterium for example. I could hear Crown or Phantom bringing the audience to tears with it. I am a choral person, mother of a hornline member, so of course I'm partial to the great choral works... which are so beautiful coming from hornlines!

• Like 2

I could come up with a million. There are so many great works by lesser known composers and lesser known works by great composers that haven't even been sniffed by DCI. For starters...

excellent and extensive list removed to shorten post

...you know, just for starters.

How did you get into my iPod? I'll get a list off of mine and we'll have some more fun!

A few I have done arrangements for for my own bands and some for others. These are the ones I've done off your list;

BELA BARTOK

-- Allegro Barbaro

also did his string quartet as a perc. feature

PAUL CRESTON

-- Symphony No. 5, Movement I

also did Celebration Overture

PHILIP GLASS

-- Symphonies Nos. 2

ARAM KHACHATURIAN

I'll add the Symphony for 12 Trumpets (!!!!)

ZOLTAN KODALY

-- Dances of Marosszék

ARVO PART

-- Agnus Dei

Symphony No. 3

MAURICE RAVEL

-- La Valse

OTTORINO RESPIGHI

-- The REST of Belkis, Queen of Sheba (Ottorino Respighi) (i.e., Solomon's Dream, Orgiastic Dance)

-- Dance of the Gnomes (Ottorino Respighi)

SILVESTRE REVUELTAS

-- Homenaje e Federico Garcia Lorca

-- La Coronela

did La Noche de los Mayas for my band in KY

DMITRI SHOSTAKOVICH

-- The Fall of Berlin (I have a complete concert band transcription of this. Incredible music! The Finale should be played by PR, you could give them the trophy in June.)

-- Symphonies Nos. 9, 10, 11, 13, and 15

JOAQUIN TURINA

-- Orgia from "Danzas Fantasticas" did it with my last HS band

RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS

Sym. 4 & 6 No matter how many times you've played Folk Song Suite, you'd never guess in a million years that he wrote either of these.

There is SO much music out there that almost no one in drum corps has ever heard of...

Edited by Steve Knob
  • Like 1

Drum corps has found substance in the music of Eric Whitacre. What about Morten Lauridsen... Magnum Mysterium for example. I could hear Crown or Phantom bringing the audience to tears with it. I am a choral person, mother of a hornline member, so of course I'm partial to the great choral works... which are so beautiful coming from hornlines!

That is beautiful!!

Drum corps has found substance in the music of Eric Whitacre. What about Morten Lauridsen... Magnum Mysterium for example.

SoCal Dream DID play O Magnum Mysterium in 05 or 06 (I forget which year). It was an in-arc only chart tho.

I would love to see a corps take on Don Ellis' "33 222 1 222" Good luck marching to 19/8 time!

Edited by 84BDsop

Where they need to go is to mid 20th century symphonic music of William Schuman, Eduard Tubin, Ernst Toch, and the like.

I'd definitely agree with you abot William Schuman and Mahler's 3rd. Tubin's 4th would be a blast to hear on the field. I'd also like to hear some of Hovhaness' works. That said, I think you meant to say Ernst Bloch, not Toch!?

Edited by A Cavalier TDY

How did you get into my iPod? I'll get a list off of mine and we'll have some more fun!

Steve, count me in for Shostakovich 11 and add Vaughan Williams 5 ... particularly the slow movement. Vaughan Williams 7th would be a blast, but it'd be a bit 'dark'! ;-)

-- The Execution of Stepan Razin (the first six minutes are IMMENSE; it's criminal this hasn't found its way to DCI yet)

Here's those first six minutes I was talking about. I'd sell a kidney (mine or, if necessary, yours) to hear Phantom pound this through the back of the stands.

• Like 1

Here's those first six minutes I was talking about. I'd sell a kidney (mine or, if necessary, yours) to hear Phantom pound this through the back of the stands.

Well...it WOULD continue their trend of death on the field.....

I would love....LOVE to hear a good brass line to the jazz charts of Danny Williams. Unfortunately, I'm probably the only corps fan who actually has recordings of "Heads Up," "Waiting," "Since We've Met," "'Nuther Blues," "The Throne of Ishtar," and "Workin' on Miss Mantooth's Auto."

Hmmmm....Surf, maybe....