How many years

not sure what you mean by "dictating what DCA should do for I&E" when the comment was for it to be " might be time for it to be rethought a bit"

Regardless, the idea of a bit more of an expanded showcase at a venue that has already been provided (the Dock) with enthusiasm by the Visitors bureau...the cost (if any) has already been factored into the equation. Without assuming a thing, moving forward on the showcase idea would concentrate resources to one event (Dock) instead of two (Dock plus stadium) and, perhaps, be the impetus for some locals (who get a quick intro to the cool entertainment that is DCA at the showcase) to take a test drive at Prelims (by buying a few ducats).

I imagined using the outside-the-20's (or even 30's) seats at Prelims as comps...those at the Dock getting an invitation for two to our party with the option to upgrade inside the 20's at the window. Lower cost, higher attendance? higher revenue? I'm not sure what there is to "pay for" (except my oversized video board - see earlier post).

Having been a part of the DCA team for several years as a project chair (Dick even asked me if I would consider taking a hold of I&E b4 he passed), I'd like to think this basic stuff is already in my "i do realize" caption. You can look me up in past program books if you need the proof. Picture and all. :tongue:

Not to be a weenie....I am thinking outside the box with a few ideas, but have a real clear picture what the inside of the box looks like before I chirp :) If it will fly, there are a few people with a seat at the big table that let me know right away. If its a turkey, they let me know that, too. Trust me. :huh:

the right thought for an event that generates $0 for DCA is whatever costs DCA the least amount of money. end of dicsussion. Unless you can get a sponsor to underwrite it, be happy they have it at all.

Annapolis is available in 2014 (Navy plays Ohio State in Balitmore), but not 2015.

I will be politicking pretty hard to get the 50th anniversary of DCA (2014) here in Annapolis, but I know they prefer 2 year bids.

Jeff

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

they sold beer? I just saw Bud Light and Bud Lime

Totally agree.

Neither one of those qualify as actual beer. :tongue:

""

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 4

I can say firsthand that the original idea for I&E was to hold all of the events at City Dock. I knew going in that one of the best parts about Rochester was the "block party" feel of I&E, and the best spot to replicate that experience in Annapolis is City Dock. The deciding factor was that I&E concludes with mini-corps, and with the mini-corps drill expanding every year, the City Dock stage was simply too small. Hell, one of the ideas had each City Dock pub sponsoring one of the I&E events (as most of them have small live music venues), so you could "pub crawl" your way through I&E. I voted six times for that one. But it all came down to keeping all of the events together so fans could bounce from venue to venue, and anchoring the event on the mini-corps competition. There is no space large enough on City Dock to hold the mini-corps competition. That led us back to the stadium and its facilities.

Jeff

• Like 2

""

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 1

There is no space large enough on City Dock to hold the mini-corps competition. That led us back to the stadium and its facilities.

Jeff

So what if, for next year only, we say "no drill" for minis? Or something along those lines. Heck, hype it up and make the score all about music performance and music effect ONLY. The cool thing about minicorps is that it's fluid, and super-easy to tailor your show to a venue if you know about it in advance.

Make lemonade out of lemons...

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

Speaking from accessibility angle had some pains that we dealt with:

1) Well the walk/roll (pushed a whellchair) from parking was a bit far due to the location of the one gate that was open. Was there a reason that the parking lot in front of the gate was empty, is this the normal for Navy games?

2) Those blasted ramps leading to the non-handicapped seating area. Too steep for some and a railing would have helped.

3) And the thing that we really didn't understand... Why have a family bathroom (near main entrance) and have the flipping thing locked? Locked Saturday and no one we talked to with S.A.F.E. could tell us if it would be open for Finals. They are a Godsend for handicapped who could use extra help, especially after sitting for a few corps.

But all in all very good venue for our needs this year.... :thumbup: Ability to stow the chair and walker nearby was a big help.

Speaking from accessibility angle had some pains that we dealt with:

1) Well the walk/roll (pushed a whellchair) from parking was a bit far due to the location of the one gate that was open. Was there a reason that the parking lot in front of the gate was empty, is this the normal for Navy games?

Or alternatively, have ticket takers and security at the "main" gate we all walked past on our lengthy trek to the end zone/box office. That seems like a pretty easy fix for those that have tickets in hand.

***That area is normally for charter buses at Navy games. I can certainly ask if that could be handicap parking next year. Makes perfect sense to me. I think they wanted to keep that area clear to guarantee that corps buses and equipment trucks had full mobility into/out of the lot. Maybe overestimated how much room was needed for that.

2) Those blasted ramps leading to the non-handicapped seating area. Too steep for some and a railing would have helped.

***Ramps to "non" handicapped seating.. do you mean the downhill ramps/tunnels from the concourse into the general seating? Yes, I agree they are kind of steep. I will look into getting additional ushers to help those that need assistance to negotiate those ramps.

3) And the thing that we really didn't understand... Why have a family bathroom (near main entrance) and have the flipping thing locked? Locked Saturday and no one we talked to with S.A.F.E. could tell us if it would be open for Finals. They are a Godsend for handicapped who could use extra help, especially after sitting for a few corps.

***I think you are referring to the restrooms in the building immediately behind the ticket booth? I can look into this for next year. All I can say is that Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium is a "modularly rented" facility. What I mean by that is, you can rent all or parts of the stadium to host an event. Each part of the facility "added" to host an event adds to the rental cost. The Class of '53 pavilion (the one that houses those restrooms, the ticket booth, and the large scoreboard) may not have been part of the rental contract.

Great feedback, and exactly the kind of info that will make 2013 the best DCA weekend yet!!!

Jeff

• Like 4