How many years

We can pick up the debate for a new choice when the time is right to make it....about a year from now.

Actually, if we're not going back to Annapolis after next year, DCA needs to look at options now. And I believe I read that they are doing so.

This is not, by any means, a slap against Annapolis. I loved the venue and would go back there every year given the choice. However, my understanding is that Navy football is playing at home during Labor Day weekend in 2014 so it may be off the table, at least for Saturday. And to think they'd move the football game to accomodate drum corps? Probably ain't gonna happen.

Do the "Powers That Be" in DCA love Annapolis enough to be flexible with their schedule, perhaps by moving prelims to Friday or continuing to hold them on Saturday, albeit at a different, smaller stadium? Since prelims doesn't pack the crowds in, that could be feasible. Annapolis hotels might also book up with football fans but with BWI and Baltimore hotels a half hour or less away, that probably isn't a horrible scenario.

The point is, wherever DCA goes, the best venues will probably be college football stadia. And Labor Day is opening weekend for college football, so you're going to have potential Saturday conflicts if you go out more than a year or two.

As for my Allentown comment, I wasn't aware of the Allentown Fair conflict. Thanks to those who pointed it out.

Edited by Phillygwm
  • Like 2

Actually, if we're not going back to Annapolis after next year, DCA needs to look at options now. And I believe I read that they are doing so.

It's going to be Rochester. Not sure why anyone thinks otherwise.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/150685-dca-accepting-bids-for-2014-2015-world-championships/page__st__80__p__3127956__hl__geoff__fromsearch__1#entry3127956

Edited by camel lips

Annapolis is available in 2014 (Navy plays Ohio State in Balitmore), but not 2015.

I will be politicking pretty hard to get the 50th anniversary of DCA (2014) here in Annapolis, but I know they prefer 2 year bids.

Jeff

Jeff, congrats on the great job your team did. I hope DCA comes back for many years to come.

• Like 1

Annapolis is available in 2014 (Navy plays Ohio State in Balitmore), but not 2015.

I will be politicking pretty hard to get the 50th anniversary of DCA (2014) here in Annapolis, but I know they prefer 2 year bids.

Jeff

Good luck sir.

Fran, after I posted on the other thread, I now read your Thursday/Friday football suggestion. We do think alike on several things!

Tom, the Allentown hotel situation is no longer a problem, but there are other issues DCA didn't face before. Back in the early DCA Championhip era, the area had about 3000 hotel rooms total. It's now closer to 5000, and the Fair now does poorly.

The other issues against Allentown include an expanded area of crime that's now relevant a block away. Even less parking, as the city no longer allows temporary grass parking, poor audio/video facilities, less restrooms, and 3 high schools that use that weekend for football games. Add in a disinterested local populace and media, and strong competition for sponsorship dollars from Musikfest and America's most successful AAA baseball franchise.

HOWEVER . . . . with Cadets2 now a player, the Allentown idea could be promoted.

My congratulations to Annapolis Chairman, Jeff. Your community benefited greatly due to your hard work. Hope they appreciate what you have done. :worthy:

""

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 2

Bring it to Allentown!!!! Great drum corps place! Who needs a 35,000 seat stadium for 2,000 people??? And maybe 5,000 at finals! Rochester wasn't much better the past two years!

no way in hell man. with the Fair in town, Allentown is a zoo, doesn't have the hotels and parking sucks.

and I love Allentown

There are some nice stadiums here in California ... no rain! :-)

submit a bid

• Like 1