How many years

I was too busy rehearsing with my corps to partake in any activities. I wish the noise ordinance allowed for playing off at retreat or the old parking lot jams but I guess we're moving past those things and I do understand why the rules are as they are. From a performers perspective the stadium was very nice. Great turf, great stands, and a very nice sound on the field. The sound "feel" took a little getting used to but hey, you should be watching hands anyway, right? Annapolis gets an A from me.

well, ya know there are houses right there. I'm sure their privacy is invaded a lot by the stadium and it's activities, and they were there first looking at them, so I'm ok with giving them some peace

If it comes down to constructive suggestions, I'd like to see a more cozy venue for minicorps. If there's a way to expand the DCA at the dock event to be the mini-corps event...don't ask for all the particulars, yet, its the seed of an idea...I think that reflects the flavor that mini-corps has established; a standing room only social with drum corps as the backdrop. If its put on one of those portable event stages and set up theatre-in-the-round, it can be a variety show with select individuals and ensembles interspersed with minicorps in competition. Restaurant, shopping and the boardwalk would welcome anyone on vacation with that night's entertainment being the best in DCA (free).

This could easily be a showcase event and the Annapolis business sponsors are already on board. They also have one year of history/metrics behind them having witnessed the draw to the Dock that the corps created this past weekend so expanding the idea is a lower risk opportunity for all. The party atmosphere of Mini Corps would be recaptured in this case with the cozyness and intimacy of the Dock being an upgrade to the somewhat sterile and distant atmosphere of the big stadium.

It might be time for I&E to be rethought a bit. My suggestion: open auditions for the Dock show could be done by video. 8 - 10 acts could be selected by committee. Two drum acts, two horn acts, two guard acts, two brass ensembles; Govies chorus would get an automatic bye :) As a shout out to some of the auditioners that "didnt make the cut", video montages of some of the good ones could be played between corps/acts on a giant and super expensive mega screen (see how not all ideas are necessarily GOOD ideas? just trying to put a few different cards out on the table here...like a production meeting :satisfied: )

See DCI 1991 Dallas for a good example of an I&E showcase (I think it was called I&E Showcase). One of the craziest drum corps crowds ever and a strong basis for this "seed of an idea".

And if we wonder if our crowd would show up if I&E was "changed", think of it this way: If you were in town for a drum corps event and one was happening at "the Dock", even if it was a little different than you were used to or you werent participating in it, would you head down to it or stay in your hotel room? You'd be there. If that's where the action was, you'd make sure to be there. :P

i'm sure this will irritate some people, but you do realize DCA doesn't make anything on I&E right? So DCA will go with what works best for them and whatever the venues and city allow. If people want to start dictating what DCA should do for I&E, then you better be prepared to start paying for it.

It sort of rocks. The sight lines and sound rock. The restrooms, concessions, parking, seating, and accesibilty in that place absolutely sucks. Not to mention the warm-up sound bleeds over into the stadium badly.

The Annapolis venue is superior in EVERY way. Location, neighborhood, parking, access, restrooms, concessions, walkways, seating, access to hotels and restaurants...you name it, Navy-Marine Corps Stadium beats out every location DCA has ever been hosted. It's not even close.

[/quotee

I loved the stadium, just beautiful. Parking plentiful. The hotel where I stayed was great. Restaurants were awesome. Annapolis folks friendly and welcoming.

A couple things that maybe could be tweaked for next year:

CLOSER rehearsal sites!! I spent WAY too much time driving back and forth to our rehearsal site ( AT LEAST 45 minutes each way,one trip took over 2 hours).

I agree that we need to do something different for mini corps. It didn't translate well on turf in a big stadium.

I & E venues. Not exactly sure what could be done, but it was awkward- banquet rooms not set up, not enough seating, no stage for performers. Difficult to see many performances as the separate venues were too far apart (except the 2 banquet rooms)

Beer- I'm not a beer drinker, so it didn't bother me, but MANY complaints heard that they stopped selling beer at 7 or 8 each evening.

Smoking- were the areas just inside each gate supposed to be designated smoking areas, or were there just no regulations at all? As a performer, spectator and brass player, I REALLY resented having to wander through the ever present cloud just inside each gate. Maryland must have very different public smoking regulations than the state where I live. Didn't like having my bags searched every time I came in and out as well.

Parking cost- couldn't we arrange for a day pass somehow? One day I had to come back and forth 3 times- $30.....Ouch...

Overall, thanks DCA and thanks Annapolis! Looking forward to next year (just wish it wasn't such a long drive, I was spoiled having it 15 minutes away).

they sold beer? I just saw Bud Light and Bud Lime

:tongue:

• Like 1

TCF Stadium in Minneapolis would be PERFECT... just sayin satisfied.gif it'd be nice to have the east coast corps come out here for a change (even if its just for a show weekend thumbup.gif )

submit a bid

• Like 1

Actually, if we're not going back to Annapolis after next year, DCA needs to look at options now. And I believe I read that they are doing so.

This is not, by any means, a slap against Annapolis. I loved the venue and would go back there every year given the choice. However, my understanding is that Navy football is playing at home during Labor Day weekend in 2014 so it may be off the table, at least for Saturday. And to think they'd move the football game to accomodate drum corps? Probably ain't gonna happen.

Do the "Powers That Be" in DCA love Annapolis enough to be flexible with their schedule, perhaps by moving prelims to Friday or continuing to hold them on Saturday, albeit at a different, smaller stadium? Since prelims doesn't pack the crowds in, that could be feasible. Annapolis hotels might also book up with football fans but with BWI and Baltimore hotels a half hour or less away, that probably isn't a horrible scenario.

The point is, wherever DCA goes, the best venues will probably be college football stadia. And Labor Day is opening weekend for college football, so you're going to have potential Saturday conflicts if you go out more than a year or two.

As for my Allentown comment, I wasn't aware of the Allentown Fair conflict. Thanks to those who pointed it out.

prelims on Friday shrinks the crowd further

Annapolis is available in 2014 (Navy plays Ohio State in Balitmore), but not 2015.

I will be politicking pretty hard to get the 50th anniversary of DCA (2014) here in Annapolis, but I know they prefer 2 year bids.

Jeff

:worthy:

""

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 2

BTW everyone...Joe is a sharp guy! He knows what he is talking about and not sitting around making this up. It may be worth listening to.

not sure what you mean by "dictating what DCA should do for I&E" when the comment was for it to be " might be time for it to be rethought a bit"

Regardless, the idea of a bit more of an expanded showcase at a venue that has already been provided (the Dock) with enthusiasm by the Visitors bureau...the cost (if any) has already been factored into the equation. Without assuming a thing, moving forward on the showcase idea would concentrate resources to one event (Dock) instead of two (Dock plus stadium) and, perhaps, be the impetus for some locals (who get a quick intro to the cool entertainment that is DCA at the showcase) to take a test drive at Prelims (by buying a few ducats).

I imagined using the outside-the-20's (or even 30's) seats at Prelims as comps...those at the Dock getting an invitation for two to our party with the option to upgrade inside the 20's at the window. Lower cost, higher attendance? higher revenue? I'm not sure what there is to "pay for" (except my oversized video board - see earlier post).

Having been a part of the DCA team for several years as a project chair (Dick even asked me if I would consider taking a hold of I&E b4 he passed), I'd like to think this basic stuff is already in my "i do realize" caption. You can look me up in past program books if you need the proof. Picture and all. :tongue:

Not to be a weenie....I am thinking outside the box with a few ideas, but have a real clear picture what the inside of the box looks like before I chirp :) If it will fly, there are a few people with a seat at the big table that let me know right away. If its a turkey, they let me know that, too. Trust me. :huh:

• Like 1

""

Edited by wishbonecav

I really like the idea of doing I&Es downtown--you could even split it up so that some is happening at the docks and some is happening elsewhere--just spitballing, obviously, but off the top of my head I can think of two theaters, two colleges (St. John's and the Naval Academy) with lots of facilities and fields, and a number of random outdoor locations that are all within walking distance of city dock that might work for one performance or another.