For Dinosaurs Only

If you're referring to this anachronistic obession with the fact that corps are plugged in today, you're right. People need to get over that just as they got over the grounding of the pit, the advent of the modern guard, assymetric drill, etc.

Actually I was alluding to the idea that people view the present through rose-coloured glasses too. Your reply proves the point. You couldn't acknowledge that there are problems. Everything old = bad, everything new = good.

Not so....

The truth lies in the middle ground - it's never an extreme.

• Like 3

The truth lies in the middle ground - it's never an extreme.

EVER! NEVER EVER. If there is ONE thing you believe in this world it's that there are NO black-and-whites- ONLY shades of grey, and NOTHING ELSE.

[/sarcasm]

Just kidding- I agree. I just love the irony of the saying "never speak in absolutes"

:tongue::thumbup::tongue:

I didn't say any such thing. I will say we're better off with sustainable corps than we are with selective, inflated memory of a drum corps past.

HH

And how far back does your personal memory of Drum Corps go ... "inflated",.. deflated, or otherwise ?

Edited by BRASSO

I'm also not sure that audience members are vocal anywhere other than DCP etc.

Some let their feet and absence do the talking for them, Grandpa. DCI attendance has been flat lined of late. Whatever changes we incorporate into DCI Drum Corps, one can not escape the unavoidable factor of national audience acceptance.. or rejection of the changes. These Corps do not perform their shows in a vacuum. None of these Corps exist without a paying customer. And when it comes to success in any Performing Arts endeavor, ultimately the customer is always right. Without sufficient satisfied customers to make the endeavor financially sustainable, the activity ceases to exist. Thus it is imperative that the customer base grow.

Or else the lights go out, and the curtain comes down for good.

This much I think we can can agree on here regarding any changes that DCI Corps undertake now or in the future.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I certainly agree with the sustainable part. Unfortunately tour costs are not sustainable for many organizations. Three of them found out the hard way this year.

Memory can be selective - absolutely. But so can the view of the present.

some of theose corps were actually on tour for a week ...that doesnt have anything to do with affording a tour or not BUT does have alot to do with bad management as well as maybe trying to be something they arent

• Like 1

I agree with the posters that say that change is inevitable. But in the last few years the number, and speed at which changes have been made make it difficult for some fans to keep up. Most of the people that are going to shows are not the ones that participate in these forums or view dci.org regularly They attend 1 or 2 shows a year. I remember sitting next to a couple at 2004 finals when members of Crown started singing and reciting poetry(BTW that is one of my favorite shows ever). They were a bit shocked to say the least as were a lot of people.

My point here is that the casual fan be allowed to catch up and appreciate the current changes. I would suggest a time period of a couple of years or more between changes, thus allowing us slower moving Dinos to adapt rather than become extinct.

• Like 1

some of theose corps were actually on tour for a week ...that doesnt have anything to do with affording a tour or not BUT does have alot to do with bad management as well as maybe trying to be something they arent

If you can't affored a one week (or two day) tour, going on it is always a bad decision.

This is why I would like to see regional circuits that would compete on weekends and reduce the transport costs.

If you can't affored a one week (or two day) tour, going on it is always a bad decision.

This is why I would like to see regional circuits that would compete on weekends and reduce the transport costs.

well nice thought but im not sure how much of a difference it would make to mnay corps....corps are rarely today from a specific region no matter what their zip code says. You also have to have enough kids locally to be involved..that stopped quite a few years ago. At this level anyway most corps would be traveling just as much or pretty close to it and to go home after a few weeks like the days of 1st and 2nd tours ( which was nice ) wont mean alot to a corps BITD we went home a little during that time , today that would be impossible...many kids dont even come from the state where the corps may be from

well nice thought but im not sure how much of a difference it would make to mnay corps....corps are rarely today from a specific region no matter what their zip code says. You also have to have enough kids locally to be involved..that stopped quite a few years ago. At this level anyway most corps would be traveling just as much or pretty close to it and to go home after a few weeks like the days of 1st and 2nd tours ( which was nice ) wont mean alot to a corps BITD we went home a little during that time , today that would be impossible...many kids dont even come from the state where the corps may be from

I'm not thinking the DCI level for this. Young, startup corps, maybe up to the level of the lower ranked open class. I can't see how a new corps will get started any other way in the face of current costs.

Edited by Grandpa

.corps are rarely today from a specific region no matter what their zip code says.

The Corps that finished 7th at DCA Championships on Sunday out of 20 Corps in their Division probably doesn't have too many marchers with zip codes located anywhere in North America.

And rightfully so, nobody cares what regions their zip codes are in. That stuff went out the window in the 50's.

Edited by BRASSO