Just a Thought....

I am what you might consider a "tadpole" or whatever term you like to use for the new people to the activity. 2012 was my first season following DCI closely, and also my first year marching in a corps. I feel like saying from my perspective, I LOVE DCI today. 2011's shows and watching clips and the like from those was a big part in my getting into the activity. The sound of today's corps is the sound I fell in love with (performance recordings are pretty much my favorite kind of music to listen to right now).

Personally, I don't mind electronics, as long as their used correctly. Correct use is of course quite subjective. I'm fine with it if it adds something, which it can do. Especially in arrangements, there might be bits and pieces that are best presented electronically. The show I marched this year had a brief synth feature before the final chord. The part was a pipe organ in the original piece, so a synth was the best thing to use. I'm not so fine with it in excess, pretty much. For example, if synths/canned recordings are used for an extended period instead of the brass/other pit to present a melody (nothing against synth players, of course). Teal Sound had a section like that in 2011 (for the record, I liked their show overall, just not that one section). In a nutshell, it all comes down to usage for me.

"Theme" as a term and the use thereof can be interpreted in a wide variety of different ways. Some themes are simply such as a show featuring music by a particular artist. Other themes might go deeper, presenting music that explores a particular idea or set of ideas. A theme often helps to make a show a complete and unified presentation. Specifically, the OP presented the question of getting rid of themes and going back to recognizable music. That seems to imply that a show with a theme must needs have music that is not recognizable, that themes and recognizable music are somehow mutually exclusive. Also, as many have mentioned, recognizability is extremely subjective. A show with a specified theme can just as easily have "recognizable"music as a show without. Eliminating "themes", as the OP put it, I think would be a bit too broad of a task. If this were to be done, would DCI mandate that a show must not have theme?How then would "theme" officially be defined?Would the corps not be allowed to have any sort of common idea connecting their music (one way a show theme might be defined)?

These are just a few thoughts on the topic from the perspective of a rookie.

• Like 1

I may be an anomoly in the dino world, but I could care less about Bb vs. G.

I would assume there is far less money in the electronics than there is in the hornline. I don't see that as a compelling reason to believe we're stuck with it.

We are stuck with it because we seen corps "succeed" with electronics. I put it in quotes because the amped music just sounds bad (personal opinion)

The bugles were more symbolic item that changed the activity from drum corps to high quality dancing brass bands. Yes the sound is smaller and strained and adding another 22 people helped a little. But that bugle mystique is gone. They are no longer drum and bugle corps. So the powers that be should be given the freedom to JUST... put high technique shows that are only built to compete. The bugle was just the line in the sand... the trumpets are not the big deal. It was the bugle that truly seperated corps from band.

Some people find that entertaining. I personally like soul and heart for my entertainment dollars.

I am proud that I can say that I was a lead Soprano player. (not just a trumpet player)

I am what you might consider a "tadpole" or whatever term you like to use for the new people to the activity. 2012 was my first season following DCI closely, and also my first year marching in a corps. I feel like saying from my perspective, I LOVE DCI today. 2011's shows and watching clips and the like from those was a big part in my getting into the activity. The sound of today's corps is the sound I fell in love with (performance recordings are pretty much my favorite kind of music to listen to right now).

Personally, I don't mind electronics, as long as their used correctly. Correct use is of course quite subjective. I'm fine with it if it adds something, which it can do. Especially in arrangements, there might be bits and pieces that are best presented electronically. The show I marched this year had a brief synth feature before the final chord. The part was a pipe organ in the original piece, so a synth was the best thing to use. I'm not so fine with it in excess, pretty much. For example, if synths/canned recordings are used for an extended period instead of the brass/other pit to present a melody (nothing against synth players, of course). Teal Sound had a section like that in 2011 (for the record, I liked their show overall, just not that one section). In a nutshell, it all comes down to usage for me.

"Theme" as a term and the use thereof can be interpreted in a wide variety of different ways. Some themes are simply such as a show featuring music by a particular artist. Other themes might go deeper, presenting music that explores a particular idea or set of ideas. A theme often helps to make a show a complete and unified presentation. Specifically, the OP presented the question of getting rid of themes and going back to recognizable music. That seems to imply that a show with a theme must needs have music that is not recognizable, that themes and recognizable music are somehow mutually exclusive. Also, as many have mentioned, recognizability is extremely subjective. A show with a specified theme can just as easily have "recognizable"music as a show without. Eliminating "themes", as the OP put it, I think would be a bit too broad of a task. If this were to be done, would DCI mandate that a show must not have theme?How then would "theme" officially be defined?Would the corps not be allowed to have any sort of common idea connecting their music (one way a show theme might be defined)?

These are just a few thoughts on the topic from the perspective of a rookie.

First off - this dino says "great post"!

Themes in themselves are not a big deal. I generally ignore them anyway. What I do think is a problem is when the presentation of theme demands chopped up music and excessive dance to the point where it becomes mundane. This doesn't enhance, it detracts, and we seem to see it all the time. Dance, especially in the hornline, is much more dramatic when used sparingly.

my beef is not with any present marching members... the kids...they are rocking with talent. My beef is with th DCI establishment who took away some very fundamental items within the activity.

Edited by Kevin Powell

my beef is not with any present members... they are rocking with talent. My beef is with th DCI establishment who took away some very fundamental items within the activity.

the DCI establishment are the corpsso what im getting is you respect the kids but not the corps and their choices?..just curious...and maybe you said it before earlier..sorry If Im aasking you to repeat BUT what do you think was taken away.....now Im not asking what was added to the activity...what in your opinion was taken away

Themes in themselves are not a big deal. I generally ignore them anyway. What I do think is a problem is when the presentation of theme demands chopped up music and excessive dance to the point where it becomes mundane. This doesn't enhance, it detracts, and we seem to see it all the time. Dance, especially in the hornline, is much more dramatic when used sparingly.

Thank you! And as to what you are saying, that is a great example of it depending on how it's used. Themes, as anything else, can be misused. You bring up an excellent point.

I like the variety of how different corps create different types of shows, some using more dance/body than others. I can't recall one corps that I thought had too much for the show they chose to present. BK used a lot...it fit their show which ended up being my 2012 favorite. Crown used less...and I loved their show for the high speed constant motion. I'd hate to see all corps do the same thing.

I like the variety of how different corps create different types of shows, some using more dance/body than others. I can't recall one corps that I thought had too much for the show they chose to present. BK used a lot...it fit their show which ended up being my 2012 favorite. Crown used less...and I loved their show for the high speed constant motion. I'd hate to see all corps do the same thing.

I agree. Variety in show types/concepts/presentation is essential.

Edited by tubabeard42

What are the chances of getting rid of electronics? Is it really necessary?

What are the chances of getting rid of "Themes" and get back to playing recognizable music?

If DCI wants to make the consumer happy...is this the way?

Comments? (I am sure there will be plenty).

Here's what I think about the amps. Even though DCI opened the venue so that corps can use amps, I think the decision as to whether a corps uses amps or not should rests with the individual corps (and not with DCI). I've seen that some people like the amps and some people don't. I'd say they could be ok in some cases but not so good in other cases. I thought that the amps sounded great when the Cavaliers used them for their Samurai show and when Phantom Regiment used them last year. Thus, those are examples of where amps could fit. But, some Cadets shows in the past where there was too much talking and not enough playing, was an amp use that I personally thought could have been left (but that's my personal opinion).

I'd say the same thing about themes. Such decision should rests with the individual corps. I personally don't like it when almost ALL of the corps are doing themes and I too would rather here some recognizable songs and more grooves.

I think it was good that DCI allowed the use of amps to give corps more option. And I'd further says, for those who don't like amps, then contact your local drum corps and tell them not to use them.

Edited by En929

My tastes in music are all over the place. I have listened to things you've never heard about. The joy of being a music teacher is to stay current, have variety and also to go back in time. So I listen to music every day. I barely turn my radio on in the car.

get out there and listen to more music?