Picking up DCI kids for the last few weeks of DCA

Every year there are a few kids that jump into DCA corps after the DCI tour ends.

This even happened in "ancient times" when I marched with Sunrisers. :tongue: We added a DCI member or two or three from time to time.

While we are at it, has anyone jumped from DCA to finish a DCI tour? Would it be possible for a DCA young person to get a "leave" of a month or two to fill a hole on tour, then come back and finish the season in DCA?

I can't recall the details, but when I marched Bush in the 80's I think we had a horn player leave us for a few weeks to fill a blank on the DCI tour. After finals he came back and finished the season with us.

Peace,

Fred O.

BITD (1970's) was asked a few times by both Hamburg Kingsmen and Rochester Crusaders to fill a spot. Everybody did it but I don't think it is as prevalent today as it was back then.

BITD (1970's) was asked a few times by both Hamburg Kingsmen and Rochester Crusaders to fill a spot. Everybody did it but I don't think it is as prevalent today as it was back then.

I think it depends on how far back you are talking about. In my era we still had junior shows after VFW nats, into September, so it was not really logistically possible to fill a senior corps hole just for DCA champs. We had NJ states in Wildwood in early September adn the Boonton Harmony show around the same time. Before my competitive day junior shows went even farther in to September.

I do know of at least a small handful (2-4+) people who have won a DCI division II championship and a DCA championship in the same year...

in 2002, Brigadiers and Magic had a lot of overlapping staff - a few people were pulled from Brigs to go on tour with Magic for the last part of the season (and IIRC, they came back and did Brigs shows on the weekends), when the DCI season was over, they were back to being weekend warriors with Brigs.

LOL, we went thru a rebuilding time in the mid 80s and had 2 Cadet sops join us at the end of one season to fill holes. At the time we were just concerned about continuing operations and not placement. Think one of our staff knew some Cadets members and put out the word. Have said story before but punch line was the Cadets being asked:

"So how does it feel to win DCI and not even make DCA Finals a few weeks later". :tongue: