The Cavaliers announce 2013 design team

Not gonna lie, not sure they took a step forward here, especially in the visual department.

This is a HUGE step UP! Alan Spaeth is at the top of the creative game! His insights and contributions alone will be an added plus for The Cavaliers. Also, Mitch and Alan have collaborated on numerous projections around the globe. Adding Bart Woodley to the mix makes this one heck of a creative force!

Great percussion staff already in place ...

Wonder if there are any other announcements or if they are bringing back the rest of the day-to-day team? Either way ... great step forward.

I've marched Mitch's drill. I've seen what he did in 1994 with the Cavaliers, and various HS programs. I saw what he did with Bluecoats and Troopers.

So did the members of The Cavaliers in 1994 who finished 4th at DCI. Mitch;s drill design helped for 4th place in Visual GE and Visual Overall. He had a pretty good run at Plymouth and Kell winning BOA High Visual Twice (I think) and more than a few Regionals. Pretty great run with Aimachi in Japan and in Thailand.

I have judged Spaeth's drill and seen it at the HS level.

Speath doesn't really write drills as much as design input. Winston Churchill and Flower Mound are two of the top Texas bands. Plymouth had a phenomenal run with Spaeth's concepts and contributions

So yes, I have already decided what I think it will look like.

So, if you judge and you are arriving with preconceived notions ... I am not sure I would want someone like you judging my child's groups.

I apologize for creating an opinion based on the past work I have performed, watched, and adjudicated.

I guess next time I should just wait til they come up with a musical and visual trainwreck like their 2011 program before I pass judgement.

Mitch and Alan had nothing to do with that concept so assuming it would match that is a little unfair. Again, if you do judge and you are holding on to these preconceptions about groups and designers as your preference or not I am afraid I would make sure you did not judge in any of our local circuits or would at least highly recommend a retraining course.

• Like 3

scvbrass- I was referring to the comment that I should not pass judgement on their new designers when they haven't even had a design meeting.

And you have a right to your opinion about my thoughts on certain designers before I see the product, but don't most people on here do that all the time?

And furthermore, don't most judges do that? Take a look at some of the threads on here when judging panels are released and the flames start flying about who will be up and down in different captions based on the panel.

Having thoughts about various designers as a judge is something that ALL judges do, and it will never go away.

I'm sorry if I am not getting googly-eyed over this announcement, I just call it like I see it.

• Like 5

Jesus. They haven't even brainstormed a show concept yet and you have already decided the visual package won't be worth it.

This place is why I drink.

Awww there you go making up reasons to drink. thumbup.gif great post!

One suggestion to the design team: avoid "Don Juan"!

Both times the Cavaliers have included that Strauss tune in their repertoire (1984 & 2012), they finished eighth.

• Like 1