The Cavaliers announce 2013 design team

god i love the month after finals. the amount of guaranteed disasters predicted already...

It is funny how many people last year were correct... granted it wasn't a disaster, but it was a pretty significant drop in placement.

That being said, I'll wait and see before I make any major predictions. But Cavies gotta watch it. They'll get lost back there if they don't find some consistency soon. And it wasn't just design that was an issue last year.

god i love the month after finals. the amount of guaranteed disasters predicted already...

Yep: every staff change announcement is followed by either:

"Sweet: they're going to go from 6th place to 1st in one, maybe two seasons!!"

or

"D#$#it: they're going from 3rd to out of finals this year"

It is funny how many people last year were correct... granted it wasn't a disaster, but it was a pretty significant drop in placement.

That being said, I'll wait and see before I make any major predictions. But Cavies gotta watch it. They'll get lost back there if they don't find some consistency soon. And it wasn't just design that was an issue last year.

Almost no one? Nearly all of the votes on DCP were for no to small impact. 2 out of 61 people voted for a significant drop.

• Like 1

About the Cavies’ new staff, we’ll see. I don’t think their brass book did any favors to the visual so I dunno, is it enough?

Not a fan of 1 and done in a creative team design medium but I get it and sometimes its better to cut your loses than to dig that hole deeper - more so at a top level program like Cavies – go cut your teeth somewhere else, in a different tier

But, I really like that Regiment got a medal to some staff that hadn’t gotten one before, even if it wasn’t their caption in the medals – it widens the pool of ‘proven’ available design talent and is good not just for some resumes but for the entire activity –its opens its up a bit as certain designers seem to have a lock on the medals. I wanted some more medals for new blood from Cavies, I still do. Good luck

Almost no one? Nearly all of the votes on DCP were for no to small impact. 2 out of 61 people voted for a significant drop.

I was a vote for little to none, I wanted to believe it, next time I won’t

In a way, even though I totality get the drop for Cavies last year and Regiment in 2009 – it bugs me because it seems all design related as the talent in the membership as well as, most the instructional elements were the same

It suggests that at the top level, from 9 up (or perhaps 7-up) that much of what is being judged and ranked is design – not what’s laid out on the failed (sic) and the staleness of the placements seem to back this up – tie this into the ‘what does BD victory mean thread’ and pass out the placements now

In the days of tick, design may have suffered but a good corps could come out of nowhere and be rewarded – I miss that.... about the closest we get now is the 12th place corps which might not even be the 12th place corps but, ah pageantry judging

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 2

The top level of administration of the Cavaliers, the decision makers, have taken notice of this past season. Changes have been made, and more are being made. 8th place doesn't sit well with this group of people, it's foreign to them to be compared to Boston and Spirit. No disrespect to those groups but when is the last time Boston and Spirit have been compared to The Cavaliers?

Sometimes you take a risk in staff, show design, rehearsal technique, etc... sometimes you hit a homerun, and sometimes you strike out. But they have taken note. Don't think for one second that the staff at the Cavaliers are sitting around going "Well, goodness.... I can't believe we didn't win. We had the sunglasses and everything..."

It's not happening. There is an agressive and ferocious hunger to "right the ship". People are getting hired and fired. It's serious.

Enjoy the success of the Blue Devils and Crown this season. They had great shows, and great execution. Come november, The Cavaliers will once again be working to earn your support.

• Like 3

The top level of administration of the Cavaliers, the decision makers, have taken notice of this past season. Changes have been made, and more are being made. 8th place doesn't sit well with this group of people, it's foreign to them to be compared to Boston and Spirit. No disrespect to those groups but when is the last time Boston and Spirit have been compared to The Cavaliers?

Sometimes you take a risk in staff, show design, rehearsal technique, etc... sometimes you hit a homerun, and sometimes you strike out. But they have taken note. Don't think for one second that the staff at the Cavaliers are sitting around going "Well, goodness.... I can't believe we didn't win. We had the sunglasses and everything..."

It's not happening. There is an agressive and ferocious hunger to "right the ship". People are getting hired and fired. It's serious.

Enjoy the success of the Blue Devils and Crown this season. They had great shows, and great execution. Come november, The Cavaliers will once again be working to earn your support.

Since you asked, I will answer. While the Cavies have certainly won the big bowling trophy more than Boston, it would be disingeuous to suggest that the two corps have never "been compared" with each other, especially in the most recent decade in the DCI era.

2012-Boston over Cavies (7th vs 8th)

2011-Cavies over Boston (3rd vs 8th)

2009-Cavies over Boston (4th vs 7th)

2003-Cavies over Boston (2nd vs 6th)

2002-Cavies over Boston (1st vs 5th)

2000-Cavies over Boston (1st vs 5th)

While you probably didn't mean any offense, your comment regarding Cavies being uncomfortable around corps like Boston and Spirit are the reason while alot of people bristle at the apparent hubris of the "G7" corps, whether intended or not.

No offense.

• Like 2

1347559069[/url]' post='3217823']

Since you asked, I will answer. While the Cavies have certainly won the big bowling trophy more than Boston, it would be disingeuous to suggest that the two corps have never "been compared" with each other, especially in the most recent decade in the DCI era.

While you probably didn't mean any offense, your comment regarding Cavies being uncomfortable around corps like Boston and Spirit are the reason while alot of people bristle at the apparent hubris of the "G7" corps, whether intended or not.

No offense.

I think I am stating what the rest of the drum corps world has already stated. We are not used to seeing the Cavaliers as a "bottom 6" drum corps. At least not since 1984 and 1997. It's a competitive environment, everyone is working to create the best product they can, and each organization has it's own set of unique challenges that influence what you see come finals night.

Your above stats are correct... in this current decade only once have The Cavaliers and Boston been in the same conversation (2012). The other years? Not so comparable. Do you understand my comment now? Thanks for illustrating it, but I didn't say "never been compared to..." I said "foreign" meaning "out of the oridinary".

• Like 3

I was a vote for little to none, I wanted to believe it, next time I won’t

In a way, even though I totality get the drop for Cavies last year and Regiment in 2009 – it bugs me because it seems all design related as the talent in the membership as well as, most the instructional elements were the same

I admit i was one of the two votes (I think cmathis was the other). I felt guilty all season :-(

It suggests that at the top level, from 9 up (or perhaps 7-up) that much of what is being judged and ranked is design – not what’s laid out on the failed (sic) and the staleness of the placements seem to back this up – tie this into the ‘what does BD victory mean thread’ and pass out the placements now

In the days of tick, design may have suffered but a good corps could come out of nowhere and be rewarded – I miss that.... about the closest we get now is the 12th place corps which might not even be the 12th place corps but, ah pageantry judging

I hear what you're saying about designer vs performer. Does the 'what' and 'how' get overshadowed by the 'who'? It's a really good (and age-old) question.

• Like 1

No offense.

I absolutely agree. However, I also believe that Yoda didn't mean for it to sound condescending....but it did! In fact, this year proves that sometimes the difference between top 3 and top 8 is simply the design and not the organization, CI nor MM attitude.