Best APDs 1980s

ajlemm

I was just looking out on the DCI audio downloads page for some of these. Why is it that the bundles from certain years cost $15.99 while other years cost $19.99?

If you want to see one corps blossom like a butterfly from a 'fine' corps that has great personality to a winning corps that dragged the activity into the modern world (and managed to maintained much of that personality), watch:

Cadets 81, 82, 83

The rest of the story: No corps from the east had won DCI since it's creation in 1972. The east was the birthplace of drum corps, but they couldn't win DCI. Other corps came close, 27th Lancers, Bridgemen, but scandal and/or other problems dashed their hopes and both corps fell down the order and eventually went bust. Fans in the east were as frustrated as fans can be. Then the Cadets suddenly exploded. This series is must-see TV!

What other 'series with a story' would people recommend?

Anything from '84 up is really great in that decade. It depends on what style you like.

There are so many good shows that flow very well musically. I'm certainly partial to those beautiful Jim Prime arrangements... But so many corps had great arrangements back then.

This made me think of two takes on Porgy and Bess. 1st take is Spirit '84. 2nd take is Star '88. Both are from Porgy and Bess, but both are so different musically. Blues in the Night (Spirit '84) and The Hurricane (Star '88) are pretty different stylistically. So we had two corps play from the same source, yet got very different sounds. That's special stuff!

I'd say:

Star '88 - Porgy and Bess - Overture (from Porgy and Bess) * I Can't Sit Down (from Porgy and Bess) * Summertime (from Porgy and Bess) * The Hurricane (from Porgy and Bess) * Bess, You Is My Woman Now (from Porgy and Bess) * Oh, Lord, I'm On My Way (from Porgy and Bess)

VK '87 Magical Mystery show - Magical Mystery Tour * Chinatown *Brazil * Canibal Fun Drum Solo * Surfer Girl * I Wish They All Could Be California Girls

Blue Devils '87 - Fanfare For The New * Harlem Nocturne * Enchinadas Arf * Free * Spanish Dreams

SCV '86 - Festive Overture * Pictures at an Exhibition

Cadets '86 - Christopher Street (from On The Waterfront) * Wonderful Town

Suncoast '86 - Adventures in Time

Madison '86 -Alex's Rag * Harlem Suite * Starlight Express

Blue Devils '85- Liferaft Earth * Trilogy * Karn Evil 9 * Piano Concerto No. 1 *First Circle

Suncoast Sound '85 - A Florida Suite - Overture * A Simple Song at Sunrise * Beach Frolic (from Florida Suite) * Cloudburst * Midnight in Miami

Madison '85 - Four Score and Seven * Ballet In Brass * Rhapsody in Blue

Spirit '85 Piano Concerto in F

Phantom '85 Symphonie Fantastique

Troopers '85- Symphonic Dance No. 3 - Fiesta * Third Symphony * Buckaroo Holiday (from Rodeo) * The Red Pony

Blue Devils '84 Bacchanalia * Latin Implosion * Karn Evil 9 * La Fiesta * Like A Lover

Spirit '84 - Porgy and Bess Overture - There's a Boat Dat's Leavin' Soon for New York (from Porgy and Bess) * It Ain't Necessarily So (from Porgy and Bess) *Blues in the Night * No One Together * I Loves You Porgy (from Porgy and Bess) * Bess, You Is My Woman Now (from Porgy and Bess)

SCV '84 - Fanfare and Allegro * Musika Bohema * On the Town * Tender Land

Edited by jjeffeory

Sam - you know LaFiesta was the bomb-diggity!!! :worthy: