Record attendance at theater broadcast

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=f06be739-d0c2-4217-9f29-0d079747a063

43,000 in attendance is quite stellar when you contrast it with the live attendance even on finals night.

Great news.

Now let me throw some water on it...

Why the name "Big, Loud, and Live"? Does this describe drum corps to neophites? I could write the same headline about a tractor pull.

Are they intentionally avoiding the reference to drum corps in fear that most people will think it's a band show? (And, No, I've not asked them. It's not that important and it's just for discussion.)

The article doesn't mention anything about profits, but it's reasonable to think it's, at least, on the way to profitability else they'd not be bragging or continuing the effort. We'll see the profit in the 990's in a couple of years.

Should this be taken to the "wider" social internet?

[...

Why the name "Big, Loud, and Live"? Does this describe drum corps to neophites? I could write the same headline about a tractor pull.

Originally, the show was titled, "Fred," but people got confused and thought it was a waffle breakfast.

• Like 2

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=f06be739-d0c2-4217-9f29-0d079747a063

43,000 in attendance is quite stellar when you contrast it with the live attendance even on finals night.

Great news.

This is actually no surprise to me that so many people attended. People love drum corps. I just think there's not enough exposure of it. But when they're is, people do watch and listen.

• Like 1

tell your theater manager to turn it up

Yes; that generally works. When I went to the theaters to see the Classic Countdown, I asked to speak to the managers in advance and told them the audience they would have that evening would want the volume louder than typical audiences. (I went to a different theater each year.) To a person, each was surprised to hear that as they genuinely had no idea what drum corps was really about; and each asked me to find them after the show began to let them know what the audience was thinking. They'll work with the attendees as they want them to be happy. And happy attendees buy more popcorn and soda. (I'm speculating on that.)

Instead of me going after the managers, I then asked them to come in after the first corps performance and see for themselves what the audience thought. One that did asked the fans what they thought, and everyone yelled something like, "Turn it up!" That got his attention.

So...talk with someone before it begins and ask them to come into the theater to gauge the prevailing opinions. Those sound systems can rock the house if needed.

• Like 2

I think it also says a lot about the costs of traveling to finals and possibly to venue choice. hmm, see 15 for what $20 or pay all that finals can run?

good to see those numbers though

Edited by Jeff Ream

I think it also says a lot about the costs of traveling to finals and possibly to venue choice. hmm, see 15 for what $20 or pay all that finals can run?

good to see those numbers though

I don't think so. It's not as if thousands more from any one geography chose to attend finals when the changing venue brought the event closer for three decades. Yes, we saw that effect in Denver and then Pasadena when pent up Western demand was unleashed. With those two exceptions, we seldom saw a surge in attendance to anywhere near these kinds of numbers just because finals came to New England, the Mid-Atlantic, the Midwest, the South, the Plains, Texas or Florida. Never mind for quarter finals on a Thursday night.

What these numbers show is DCI successfully extending its product line (and revenue opportunities). This broadcast opens an entirely new market - one I'd argue is made up largely of people who attend finals seldom or never.

Indeed, the fact that more people see quarters today than saw finals in the peak year in Montreal represents a major achievement for an activity that's seen its foundation undermined over the past 30 years. Big win for DCI.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 1