Corps Hosting Marching Band shows

I've been seeing corps host marching band tournaments such as Jersey Surf, and another corps that I can't remember. What if there was a DCI band circuit (not featuring our organizations performing mind you) around the country as a combo money-raiser for DCI and its member corps?

...based on a regional model.

Edited by Barifonium

Lemme get this straight, you're talking about regional circuits that feature marching bands run like drum corps. The contests the bands compete in are sponsored by DCI corps as a fundraiser/moneymaker.

Neat idea, but why would a person audition for said marching bands?

My understanding is that back in DCI's early days, there was talk of a beginning a band division. There was already a drill team division and a color guard competition in the pre-WGI days, so this could have been some truth to the claim. It may have been wishful thinking in the Boston area. Two marching circuits in the Boston area, CYO and Eastern Mass, did have band divisions at the time and many members of the bands switched to drum corps, so it may have been a hope of the band directors that DCI would have a band division that would be attractive so the bands could retain members.

Today there are few, if any bands not associated with high schools and few if any compete in the summer months. Schools are their homes and the fall is their domain. They may host shows but they may not be money makers. School related events generally just have to break even. Drum, corps that host band competitions probably do so for recruiting purposes and perhaps to connect with alums. Bands also have Bands of America as the DCI equivalent for bands, so there's not a need for a governing agency. My guess is the bands are doing just fine without DCI's help.

• Like 1

Basically what you're suggesting is a new woodwind class.......

Don't tell "The Hop"!

Today there are few, if any bands not associated with high schools and few if any compete in the summer months. Schools are their homes and the fall is their domain. They may host shows but they may not be money makers. School related events generally just have to break even. Drum, corps that host band competitions probably do so for recruiting purposes and perhaps to connect with alums. Bands also have Bands of America as the DCI equivalent for bands, so there's not a need for a governing agency. My guess is the bands are doing just fine without DCI's help.

Perhaps the corps could co-host a regional with Bands of America or something... idk.

Basically what you're suggesting is a new woodwind class.......

Don't tell "The Hop"!

no no no... DCI membership or productions by OUR groups would be completely separate from the scholastic groups. Our competitions and performances would remain in the summer, theirs in the fall. We (or whatever corps/organization is hosting) would only host groups from schools, such as what Jersey Surf is doing.

Edited by Barifonium

Phantom Regiment used to host a fall show for marching bands. I'm not sure if they still do. It's a good recruiting tool, plus a bit of a fundraiser.

Phantom Regiment used to host a fall show for marching bands. I'm not sure if they still do. It's a good recruiting tool, plus a bit of a fundraiser.

Phantom's been hosting for quite some time-at least since 2004.

In 2010, they moved the show from Machesney Park to the campus of Northern Illinois University in DeKalb. 2010 was not a good year for this show-there were 29 bands, but the judges absolutely did not know how to use the sheets-former Phantom DM Darian Sanders judged Visual Individual-a 10 point caption. He had 4 bands under 1.00, 12 additional bands under a 2.00, and the highest scoring band in the caption was Lake Park with a 4.20. At that show, the lowest band in Class A scored a 16.8, and 4 bands out of 29 scored over a 60.

It was much better scored in 2011 with only 17 bands-8 of which returned from 2010, and new BOA style scoring sheets.

2012 was just a big cluster#### with an announced date, having to cancel said date because the MAC conference rescheduled an NIU home game for their first date, rescheduling to the next week, and then cancelling because there were 2 other very good Chicago area shows that they just could not compete with.

We'll see what happens in 2013.

Edit: It's also not cheap to compete at this show-base entry is $300, and if you want a 50 minute pre-show clinic with one of the clinicians, it's an additional $300. There's also an instant feedback with a clinician, where he'll spend 15-20 minutes with the band after the performance discussing for an additional $150. I seem to remember this was all included in the base price before...

Edited by Dan Balash

^sounds complicated.

there were 29 bands, but the judges absolutely did not know how to use the sheets-former Phantom DM Darian Sanders judged Visual Individual-a 10 point caption. He had 4 bands under 1.00, 12 additional bands under a 2.00, and the highest scoring band in the caption was Lake Park with a 4.20. At that show, the lowest band in Class A scored a 16.8, and 4 bands out of 29 scored over a 60.

lol :blink: