Cold War Music

Being totally out of the loop culture wise, I finally saw all the Godfather movies few months back via the DVR machine. Think it's G-III that has the subplot dealing with Micheal Corleoni(sp) and his buds getting kicked out of Cuba. But being a history buff I realized that it was pretty much factual with the names changed. At least Lee Stausburgs character (elderly gangster) matched Meyer Lansky (Lucky Lucianos partner) pretty well.

Godfather II centers on the family's move to Las Vegas and Michael's deals with Roth in Cuba ...

Andy "I married Sicilian" Lisko

Godfather II centers on the family's move to Las Vegas and Michael's deals with Roth in Cuba ...

Andy "I married Sicilian" Lisko

That's what I get for watching all three in a week or so... :doh:

Andy, spent some time in Sicily (near Mt Etna) for work and found out that a local way of speaking is to drop the vowel at the end of the word. Can't remember now if local meant Sicilian or the west part of Sicily. Made sense as my wife orders raviol instead of ravioli, etc, etc. Said she picked it up from her grandmother and that tough ladys' family was from Italy (no idea where) but could have fit into the G-father movies. :shutup:

Mmmm... what's Italian for "Off Topic"....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

"you stoppa that....capische?!?"

:rolleyes:

Scuza me ...

Ciao

"you stoppa that....capische?!?"

:rolleyes:

Picturing John gesturing with his index finger as he speaks....

He had travelled globally for the State Department to several of the African nations who were emerging from the period of European colonialism. The Eisenhower administration was very anxious to befriend them before the Soviets did and sent massive foreign aid their way. Visits by American musical artists were visible symbols of this outreach.

The continent of Africa was indeed a huge "proxy battleground" between the United States and Soviet Union during the Cold War.

Alot of good that one did huh? They keep rolling along, stronger than ever.

True.

But imagine setting that speech to music. I wonder what tunes we could use. LOL.

"And it's one, two, three, what are we fightin' for?..." :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

Slightly OT here....

But if you like Cold War stuff, I would suggest The Military Channel on cable.

All sorts of cool shows about various Cold War incidents/intrigue/secrets/methods of operation, etc.