What State had the most competitions

The question is about the 1970's....stay on task people! LOL

One good indicator of how many contests a state had is just how many corps a state had.

For the first few DCI seasons here were the top junior corps-producing states:

NY-113

MA-61

NJ-45

WI-42

PA-38

NY-110

MA-64

NJ-46

WI-40

NY-104

MA-63

NJ-41

ONT-36

NY-100

MA-67

NJ-40

QUE-37

NY-98

MA-66

QUE-38

NJ-38

The question is about the 1970's....stay on task people! LOL

Keith, I realize that your question dealt with the '70's, but don't forget the people (and corps) that preceeded DCI. Drum corps didn't begin with the formation of DCI. To the contrary, and as you well know, there were many more corps in existence prior to DCI's establishment. Don't pass off the people who made your drum corps years possible in such a cavalier fashion.

I know Andy but I just wanted to talk about the 1970's. Although my guess is that the 1960's would probably see NY at the top as well.

Keith, I realize that your question dealt with the '70's, but don't forget the people (and corps) that preceeded DCI. Drum corps didn't begin with the formation of DCI. To the contrary, and as you well know, there were many more corps in existence prior to DCI's establishment. Don't pass off the people who made your drum corps years possible in such a cavalier fashion.

I know Andy but I just wanted to talk about the 1970's. Although my guess is that the 1960's would probably see NY at the top as well.

Just based upon the numbers that Brian put up a few posts ago, you're probably correct. However, the physical size of the state is so much greater than Massachusetts. This would lead me to believe that the shows in Mass. were generally of a higher quality overall. When you can put on a show with Boston Crusaders, St. Kevin's, Cambridge Caballeros, St. Mary's Cardinals, the Majestic Knights, I.C. Reveries, and a few others day after day, night after night (and all within twenty miles of each other), I think this quality level could only be matched by shows in North Jersey. But back to the Seventies....

Just based upon the numbers that Brian put up a few posts ago, you're probably correct. However, the physical size of the state is so much greater than Massachusetts. This would lead me to believe that the shows in Mass. were generally of a higher quality overall. When you can put on a show with Boston Crusaders, St. Kevin's, Cambridge Caballeros, St. Mary's Cardinals, the Majestic Knights, I.C. Reveries, and a few others day after day, night after night (and all within twenty miles of each other), I think this quality level could only be matched by shows in North Jersey. But back to the Seventies....

Yes the Quality of shows in NJ were amazing. On any given weekend there would be a show with Blue Rock, 27th, Garifeld, Boston, Muchachos , ST Ritas, Blessed Sac., Warriors, Bridgemen. A show sponsor would pick 4 or 5 from above and a couple of Garden State corps and you would have some line up.

OK, so I bit the bullet and decided to count up the number of junior contests that actually took place, were documented in the drum corps periodicals of the day and had scores (and that I had in my files).

I only did 1972, and here are some of the leading states for that year:

WI--52

NJ--41

PA--40

NY--36

IL--29

MA--26

OK, so I bit the bullet and decided to count up the number of junior contests that actually took place, were documented in the drum corps periodicals of the day and had scores (and that I had in my files).

WI--52

NJ--41

PA--40

NY--36

IL--29

MA--26

Thanks for the insight Brian. Perhaps another view of contests is by region? In the early 1970’s we were able to go to contests every weekend from early June to early September within the Great Lakes Region. Sometimes we’d venture down the Saint Lawrence to Quebec. Our corps hosted annual contests in the 1970’s. If every corps in the region hosted a contest, there may have been many contests in the 1970’s!

The map below shows major cities. Our contests were usually in smaller cities and towns of which there are many in the Great Lakes Region. There were also drum corps hubs in the east coast and west coast which is probably why Troopers traveled. Alberta’s hub (Northern Prairies Region) had a handful of drum corps (about 5 in fact) in the 1970’s. We traveled to the Pacific Northwest, California (North and South), the Midwest and to Great Lakes contests. That’s where the action was!

Great-Lakes-Map.png

1351029575[/url]' post='3224658']

WI--52

NJ--41

PA--40

NY--36

IL--29

MA--26

I do not doubt the numbers, because anytime I do I am usually in error, but the list of documented shows in Corpsreps and From the Pressbox often differ, and I know some of the shows I attended are not listed. I just wish we could return to a period where we aaid "So many shows, so little time." I began following drum corps in the mid 70's and also wish I kept my old copies of DCW and DCN as you seem to have done.

• Like 1

Tim I agree!

I do not doubt the numbers, because anytime I do I am usually in error, but the list of documented shows in Corpsreps and From the Pressbox often differ, and I know some of the shows I attended are not listed. I just wish we could return to a period where we aaid "So many shows, so little time." I began following drum corps in the mid 70's and also wish I kept my old copies of DCW and DCN as you seem to have done.