What State had the most competitions

I'll throw in NY only because there were alot of corps there.

BITD Illinois had quite a few shows too!

CT and MA had quite a few as well but, I doubt that any state could top the number of shows that were held in NJ ...

:-)

I am going to agree with Andy on this! :thumbup:

"Agree With Andy":

Me three. Looking back all those many years, it seems that almost every weekend we were going to a show in "Jersey". Patterson, Clifton, Bayonne,Audubon, Newark, Wayne, Jersey City, and Fairlawn to name a few.

So many memories from so long ago......

Elphaba

• Like 1

OK, heres a question. Does New Jersey have more drum corps today than any other state? I'm including DCA corps in this lineup too.

California had 14 junior corps active this year (this includes parade and exhibition corps), while NJ had just 4. Add in the seniors/alumni/Shriners from CA, and I don't think NJ has as many.

As for the state with the most contests, you have to think about all the circuits that NY and MA had.

Edited by Northern Thunder

Massachusetts hosted quite a few national competitions, most notably CYO Nationals and the World Open, as well as a good number of smaller shows. As far as local shows, Massachusetts had three circuits: Eastern Mass, CYO, and Mayflower. Some corps competed in all three, some in two, and a few in just one. In some years from Memorial Day Weekend until the week after Labor Day, there would be a competition in Massachusetts every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, on some Saturdays there would be afternoon and evening competitions. While I can't say for certain about national shows, I am sure Massachusetts is in the running if not the leader for the most local shows.

Massachusetts hosted quite a few national competitions, most notably CYO Nationals and the World Open, as well as a good number of smaller shows. As far as local shows, Massachusetts had three circuits: Eastern Mass, CYO, and Mayflower. Some corps competed in all three, some in two, and a few in just one. In some years from Memorial Day Weekend until the week after Labor Day, there would be a competition in Massachusetts every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, on some Saturdays there would be afternoon and evening competitions. While I can't say for certain about national shows, I am sure Massachusetts is in the running if not the leader for the most local shows.

Tim is correct in what he says, except that there were even more contests than he indicated. Back in the Fifties and early Sixties it was not unusual to have a contest on Wednesday or Thursday night because all the weekend dates were full. And back then the outdoor season was even longer than he indicated. It would start on the last weekend in April in Newburyport and finish in mid-October.