Drum Corps Injuries

Shin splints are pretty common at Phantom.

Oh boy...

Never marched a season in which someone didn't have a stress fracture

1352240598[/url]' post='3226814']

Guard people catching a rifle with the face comes to mind.

Or hornline members catching a rifle to the face......

• Like 2

Shin splints and knee tendons for brass players. Tendonitis for drummers. And as for guard... take your pick! Outsid eof all that though... Heat related illnesses have to be the most common!

Minor hand injuries are very common for guard members, particularly those in the weapon line. I have a friend who marched rifle with a top tier midwestern corps this past summer who told me that from the first day of move-ins through finals she didn't have a single day where she didn't have a jammed finger or bruised nail.

Those guys and girls that are in the colorguard are one tough bunch!

Edited by Beckham

I got shin splints both years I marched. Here's one of the most painful, yet amazing cures to splints:

Simply take a drum stick and roll it on your shin back and forth. OWWWWWWWWWWWW! Hurts just to say it, but I did this in 2007 and the next day it was like a miracle. But you have to do this for several minutes until the muscles roll back where they belong.

• Like 2

Simply take a drum stick and roll it on your shin back and forth. OWWWWWWWWWWWW! Hurts just to say it, but I did this in 2007 and the next day it was like a miracle. But you have to do this for several minutes until the muscles roll back where they belong.

Some of us track sprinters use a baking rolling pin to do our quads, calfs, and hammies. Have a piece of towel attached (glue, velcro, etc.) around it to cushion the pins wood or plastic surface. Cheaper than a foam roller or those beaded rollers that cost $25 or more. Maybe each corps should invest in a foam roller.

I'm wondering what kinds of drum corps injuries you've experienced, but more importantly, what do your instructors say to do about them?

I'm interested to hear your stories. How you handled it, how your instructors handled it, etc. I'm looking for both common injuries (e.g. sunburns, muscle cramps, sprains) and uncommon injuries (e.g. broken tibia, staph infection).

My age out season, 2005, I tore my Anterior Tibialis early in the season. This should have been a season ending injury. The injury itself prevents a foot flex, making marching almost impossible.

I spent most of the last part of spring training in daily physical therapy, took steroidal treatments over the course of the season (learning to do the injections myself so I could do them over tour).

I taped the foot into flexion and wore a different size shoe over that foot, so I could really double the tape up. This worked well on the forward marching, but I really had to "fake" the backwards march and the jazz run. The left foot is always in flexion (you can even spot me in the videos).

I sat out most of the basics/fundamentals over the course of the summer and limited myself to one run thru a day on rehearsal days (we sometimes did 2 or 3).

It was a very difficult season. Along with winning the "band aid" award at banquet (one of the most crushing things that has ever happened to me), I also ended up feeling like I held the group back the entire season.

The staff was very, very accommodating up until the last swing of tour. The tour itself was weighing on them, and seeing me constantly sitting out didn't sit well with them. I forced myself back in for every rep and every set for the rest of the season at about ATL. Couldn't have done it without Kevin Rabon. Tough love, but a guy that means a million bucks to me.

Surgery afterwards to remove scar tissue and reattach the muscle completely. Still walk with a limp if I haven't moved in a while, and haven't really been able to run on it since.

• Like 1