The 990's

I guess I wasn't clear enough. "Fans", in my context, was limited to the people who pay to see SCV perform in either a parade or a contest.

If they lose their current "spectators" it would have little impact on their revenue. If they lose their MM and their current fan base, they'd still have more revenue coming in than most other corps, and 2x or 3x times more than many of those corps.

In contrast, if they lost their bingo fans it'd be a disaster.

You were clear enough. My facetiousness is what lacked clarity.

Okay, so for us finance-light folks, are there apples-to-apples comparisons that we can make? Is it pretty consistent that Program Service Revenue is the money the corps itself makes in the course of a year (excluding bingo et al?). Seems that way; I just wonder if I'm missing something...

Mike

No, Mike, I think you've got it right. I think of "Program Service Revenue" as what the corps "earns" through performances, and "Other Income" is any "external" funding like bingo, etc. While it's not always the case, depending upon what the auditors put into the various categories and line items, "Program Service Revenue" would end if the corps folded or stopped performing. "Other" income would, supposedly, continue despite the corps. It's debatable whether "Gifts, Grants, etc" would continue if the corps stopped performing.

I think we'll begin to see some dramatically different pictures emerge as we go down through the corps.

One of the other pictures that's interesting to me is the comparison of how much each corps spends to put its production on the field (Program Service Expenses, or the Statement of Program Service Accomplishments). For instance, did BD's show reflect the nearly $1.7-million they spent on it in 2011? We know what the judges thought in 2011; Cadets spent half-a-million LESS on their show, so did Cadets get a better return on that investment?

Edited by garfield

No, Mike, I think you've got it right. I think of "Program Service Revenue" as what the corps "earns" through performances, and "Other Income" is any "external" funding like bingo, etc. While it's not always the case, depending upon what the auditors put into the various categories and line items, "Program Service Revenue" would end if the corps folded or stopped performing. "Other" income would, supposedly, continue despite the corps. It's debatable whether "Gifts, Grants, etc" would continue if the corps stopped performing.

I think we'll begin to see some dramatically different pictures emerge as we go down through the corps.

One of the other pictures that's interesting to me is the comparison of how much each corps spends to put its production on the field (Program Service Expenses, or the Statement of Program Service Accomplishments). For instance, did BD's show reflect the nearly $1.7-million they spent on it in 2011? We know what the judges thought in 2011; Cadets spent half-a-million LESS on their show, so did Cadets get a better return on that investment?

well that house did look pricey

:tongue:/>

well that house did look pricey

:tongue:/>/>

Yea, imagine what they'd have spent had it come with walls and a roof!

:tongue:/>

Seriously, if you were Dave Gibbs, was the expense "worth it"? From a business perspective? From a programming perspective?

Or, a different way: Did BD's kids get $3,333 "better" experience than Cadets' kids?

Yea, imagine what they'd have spent had it come with walls and a roof!

:tongue:/>/>

Seriously, if you were Dave Gibbs, was the expense "worth it"? From a business perspective? From a programming perspective?

Or, a different way: Did BD's kids get $3,333 "better" experience than Cadets' kids?

well........

they probably got more downtime.

as acreator I do see their side as well as the financial side. I mean, you have this vision, it costs a bunch, then you roll it out and it doesn't win....was it worth it financially? But BD was in the hunt all year, even beating Cadets the week before finals, so you have no idea.

it's like with MLB...some teams will pay whatever for a free agent if they think it'll work and they will win. Sometimes you're the Yankees. Sometimes you're the Marlins

Bluecoats

Revenue

Program Service Revenue

Membership Dues

2008: $236,722

2009: $311,936 (plus $75,214 [31.7%] from 2008)

2010: $328,159 (plus $16,223 [5.2%] from 2009, plus $91,437 [38.6%] from 2008)

Competitions and Programs

2008: $203,734

2009: $211,053 (plus $7,319 [3.6%] from 2008)

2010: $263,711 (plus $52,068 [25%] from 2009, plus $59,977 [29.4%] from 2008)

Camp Fees

2008: $105,994

2009: $101,401

2010: $101,100 (basically flat across all three years)

Total Program Service Revenues

2008: $546,450

2009: $624,390 (plus $77,940 [14,3%] from 2008)

2010: $692,970 (plus 68,580 [11%] from 2009, plus $146,520 [26.8%] from 2008)

Bluecoats

Revenue

Other Revenue

Net Revenue from sales of assets other than inventory

2008: $25,911

2009: ($2,744) a loss

2010: $52,252

Net Revenue from gaming operations

2008: $154,983

2009: $80,942 (minus $74,041 [47.8%] from 2008

2010: $77,245 (flat from 2009, minus $77,783 [50%] from 2008)

... If they [sCV] lose their current "spectators" it would have little impact on their revenue. If they lose their MM and their current fan base, they'd still have more revenue coming in than most other corps, and 2x or 3x times more than many of those corps.

In contrast, if they lost their bingo fans it'd be a disaster.

Bill Cook stated way back in the 1980's that Bingo was the "cash cow". And for corps today in States where bingo is still a viable option that still seems the case; so much so that according to a reading of the SCV 990 an overwhelming majority of their revenue still comes from Bingo and not spectator/fans. However, this begs a question: If the revenue stream from Bingo today is so massive, massive enough that the loss (or gain) of 'spectator' revenue would have little impact, then why would the G7 directors be so concerned about other corps partaking in DCI show revenue? One could argue that many States are causing Bingo establishments to fold due to increasing regulations and they are afraid that will happen in CA; but if SCV (or BD) lost bingo, all of the DCI show revenue would not make up for that bingo loss. So, again, if spectator revenue is such a small, very small, part then why try to relegate, or eliminate, the other corps?

Thanks LincolnV. I've been a little perplexed by the lack of comments in relation to the number of page-views, but I understand that this is probably the driest subject matter in the history of DCP.

As long as page views continue, so will I.

Will someone give G a hug please!