The 990's

In 2011 (990 filed but not yet posted by Guidestar) we experienced a drop in bingo revenue of about $70,000 which contributed to a reduction in our net assets (fund balance). In response to a bingo game whose profitability had dwindled to practically nothing,the Bluecoats board made the decision to purchase a building and move the bingo game. This became a prudent financial decision when the State of Ohio changed the bingo laws and allowed more than one organization's bingo sessions to take place in the same location. The building we purchased already had a bingo tennant as well as other rental income. So instead of paying to rent someone else's building for bingo, we are receiving income from renting our building and are building equity in an asset.

That was a really smart move. It's great to see an organization that can take action instead of being blown about by the winds of fate.

Is there an all-inclusive post somewhere that has your broad take on every corps so far?

So, let me get this straight...

You applaud that there's more to the story besides a "cursory" look at the 990s, but you want my cursory overview on every corps in one, all-inclusive place?

:blink:/>

Did you read the very first post of this thread?

• Like 6

The Bluecoats

Revenue, Expenses, and Net Assets

The Bottom Line

Total Revenue

2008: $931,205

2009: $835,372

2010: $924,166

Total Expenses

2008: $899,523

2009: $940,712

2010: $958,883

Net Revenue

2008: $31,682

2009: ($105,340) a loss

2010: ($34,717) a loss

Net Assets

2008: $301,768

2009: $228,108

2010: $193,390

Actually, Perc, to soften the snarkiness of my last post, if you use the index in the first post of the entire thread to find the corps in which you're interested, you'll find a post similar to the above for each corps. It's kind of a "bottom line" summary description with the posts that follow containing a more granular look behind these numbers.

There is not (yet) a summary post of ALL corps, but I am working on one.

Part of the problem with this approach, however, is what prompted btracht (Bryan) to add his post: A summary doesn't tell the whole story and there are situations where the whole story is a more-complete picture than the summary can provide. I recognized this conflict before I started, which is why I decided to post more than just the summary pages. I leave it up to the reader to either end at the summary or follow along in the detail to try to get a more complete picture.

While Bryan's input about 2011 and 2012 is useful and helpful, the fact is that his explanation of the 2008 to 2010 numbers was (mostly) evident in the more granular posts (I'll work on the issue of depreciation later tonight). Part of the problem with posting numbers, however, is that most people's eyes begin to glaze over immediately after they've finished reading the summary post, even when a clearer picture is usually presented in the more granular posts. Simply, the summary post may not tell the story, while the follow-up granular posts fail to hold most people's attention.

Bryan's information is mostly useful in reassuring that 2010's two year old numbers don't, necessarily, represent the corps' financial picture today. I would suspect that, like BD, we should see 'Coats' 2011 990 up on Guidestar in a short time and, when they appear, I'll amend the information here.

Edited by garfield

Wait wait wait wait wait. You mean that there's a lot more to the story than just a cursory look at the public 990's?!

No need to be snarky.

Thanks btracht for your additional contributions! They are very welcome! And thanks for your service to the Bluecoats! :worthy:/>

Edited by skywhopper

So, let me get this straight...

You applaud that there's more to the story besides a "cursory" look at the 990s, but you want my cursory overview on every corps in one, all-inclusive place?

Yep, that about sums it up. I applaud the fact that it's silly to make assumptions on an organization based on just the info on the 990's (as I said originally somewhere at the beginning of this thread). And as you said, if I remember correctly, while that is true the 990's do give us a bit of insight into the financial state of each group. So yeah, while I don't think it's prudent to jump on an organization based on the findings of your reports (is that a fair word? You're not really passing any judgement, making wild assertions, but merely saying "here's what the numbers say, and looking at what the organization lists here MIGHT be a reason why"), it still worth a read. I apologize if my recent Bluecoats post that I made in response to a Board Member clarifying things after people were freaking out over your report upset you: it wasn't meant as any sort of slight or criticism at you (if anything, I absolutely loathe how many people on DCP are quick to pronounce the death of an organization or the activity in general and I tend to be quick to criticize said soothsaying).

Did you read the very first post of this thread?

Yes; a month ago when you started this review

• Like 1

Actually, Perc, to soften the snarkiness of my last post, if you use the index in the first post of the entire thread to find the corps in which you're interested, you'll find a post similar to the above for each corps. It's kind of a "bottom line" summary description with the posts that follow containing a more granular look behind these numbers.

There we are: that's not so hard, is it?! :tongue:

Thanks

There is not (yet) a summary post of ALL corps, but I am working on one.

Part of the problem with this approach, however, is what prompted btracht (Bryan) to add his post: A summary doesn't tell the whole story and there are situations where the whole story is a more-complete picture than the summary can provide. I recognized this conflict before I started, which is why I decided to post more than just the summary pages. I leave it up to the reader to either end at the summary or follow along in the detail to try to get a more complete picture.

I understand that, and I appreciate the way you've seemingly set this up on your first post. Instead of going through dozens of pages trying to find a specific corps, or if I want to compare one corps to another, or, say, the G7 directors corps to DCI's, we have a great place to start looking. For example, if I want to analyze the last few years of SCV 990's, I now know I can start post 469 and find my way around from there. You're right, that is a more legit/honest approach. I personally would prefer to read all the info of a certain corps when you're reporting is complete (I'm not one to like being "left hanging" when I read anything & like to finish reading writers' thoughts on a subject/story/plot point, etc :tongue: )

I apologize if my recent Bluecoats post that I made in response to a Board Member clarifying things after people were freaking out over your report upset you: it wasn't meant as any sort of slight or criticism at you (if anything, I absolutely loathe how many people on DCP are quick to pronounce the death of an organization or the activity in general and I tend to be quick to criticize said soothsaying).

Regarding the underlined part - did I miss something? I do not see any posts freaking out or pronouncing the Bluecoats dead.

• Like 2

Final note: SCV's 990's are so utterly complete that they even include complete amortization schedules as well as complete investment statements for 2009.

Not only are their on-field programs consistent year in and year out, but their financial support programs and auditor's reports are complete and consistent as well.

Thank you for this compliment! If anyone feels the need or interest to further explore their assumptions about us, do not hesitate to message me. I'm really proud of the financial accomplishments I/We have been able to achieve in the last 5 years.

• Like 3