The 990's

In looking at the numbers and if my fat fingers are pressing the right buttons, the increases year over year are not that much different: $136,641 versus $155,891.

Not sure where that leaves your questions...

You are correct - my eyes jumped a line earlier. Still surprised to see expenses increasing so much in 2010.

As long as you're discussing organizational efficiency, here is a metric of efficiency that is often used where I work:

Revenue Generated per $ of Personnel cost

YEA:

$ 5,103,866 Gross Receipts

$ 1,356,711 Personnel Costs (Salaries, Compensation & Benefits)

$3.76 Revenue Generated per $ of Personnel Cost

DCI:

$10,828,969 Gross Receipts

$ 1,341,278 Personnel Costs (Salaries, Compensation & Benefits)

$8.07 Revenue Generated per $ of Personnel Cost

By this metric, DCI is 114.6% more efficient at generating revenue than YEA.

We'll have to see how other corps measure up in this category.

As long as you're discussing organizational efficiency, here is a metric of efficiency that is often used where I work:

YEA:

DCI:

Comparing this metric DCI vs. YEA is a bit unfair. I would expect DCI to have much highr revenue per employee than YEA because what DCI does isn't very labor intensive. Their gross margins should be higher as well. Assuming one is more efficient than the other really isn't correct, it's just a result of their different emphasis and operating model.

Comparing this metric DCI vs. YEA is a bit unfair. I would expect DCI to have much highr revenue per employee than YEA because what DCI does isn't very labor intensive. Their gross margins should be higher as well. Assuming one is more efficient than the other really isn't correct, it's just a result of their different emphasis and operating model.

Really, KAW?

What DCI does is not labor instensive?

Your argument might be correct if we were comparing a drum corps tour to a travelling girl's basketball team or the like. But this is all in the same idiom, and the folks at DCI make a whole lot more assets available to the activity than does YEA!.

I'm not saying that DCI is exemplary in their tasks (from the leadership on down) but, in this case, BobSmyth has the numbers right.

Didn't say it was fair. But at least it is real and fact based.

To connect some dots here, there was a certain G7 proposal that made the assertion that the corps themselves were so much more efficient than DCI that the corps could come in, take over, fire 50% of the office and the functions and operations of DCI would continue on without missing a beat thus freeing up significant amounts of cash that could go straight to the 7 corps. That doesn't seem like a fair comparison either. And yet, corps managements are making activity altering desicions based on such assertions.

YEA:

DCI:

BobSmyth:

Are these numbers from 2012 or 2011? Comp numbers seem to be off from mine.

YEA:

DCI:

Are you including contract labor in your personnel costs? I can game this number by paying most of my employees as contractors. Most design and instructional staffs are contract labor.

So, your metric would be more informative when comparing various corps if it also included contract labor in it.

Are you including contract labor in your personnel costs? I can game this number by paying most of my employees as contractors. Most design and instructional staffs are contract labor.

So, your metric would be more informative when comparing various corps if it also included contract labor in it.

Contract labor would be included in Total Compensation, would it not?

BobSmyth:

Are these numbers from 2012 or 2011? Comp numbers seem to be off from mine.

The numbers I am using are from 2011 which is the most recent year's data available.

They come from this thread - YEA post #157 and #134 for total compensation and gross receipts, respectively; same data for DCI in post #39 and #10.

I am trusting that you copied them correctly off of the 990's. :smile:

Edited by BOBSMYTH

Contract labor would be included in Total Compensation, would it not?

It depends on who is filling out the form.

Not every field on the IRS form is well defined. My experience has been that there is some variation in presentation and interpretation between preparers.