Crown 2013 Faculty

Remove designers team, arrangers and admin from the above list and I think it's about 40.

Madison Scouts = 50.

Bluecoats = 36.

Haven't checked others.

Edited by mingusmonk

Remove designers team, arrangers and admin from the above list and I think it's about 40.

Madison Scouts = 50.

Bluecoats = 36.

Haven't checked others.

On Regiment's staff page, it lists 57 that includes administration, designers, and techs.

Edited by chaos001

Back in my day we had a Director, Caption Heads, and techs. Sometimes the drill designer or arrangers weren't that hands on, but for the most part each Caption Head did the writing for their caption. That being said, we may have had 50 staff in total through out the season, just most didn't have fancy titles.

I agree that calling the staff "faculty" in some cases is a stretch, but it is what it is.

• Like 3

Back in my day we had a Director, Caption Heads, and techs. Sometimes the drill designer or arrangers weren't that hands on, but for the most part each Caption Head did the writing for their caption. That being said, we may have had 50 staff in total through out the season, just most didn't have fancy titles.

I agree that calling the staff "faculty" in some cases is a stretch, but it is what it is.

While the term "faculty" may seem pretentious to drum corps insiders, it makes perfect sense from the outside looking in. If you're going to pitch your drum corps as a youth-oriented educational non-profit, using terms like faculty (and even supervisor and coordinator) make more sense to those unfamiliar with drum corps.

• Like 4

While the term "faculty" may seem pretentious to drum corps insiders, it makes perfect sense from the outside looking in. If you're going to pitch your drum corps as a youth-oriented educational non-profit, using terms like faculty (and even supervisor and coordinator) make more sense to those unfamiliar with drum corps.

Who the hell from the outside actually cares enough to check that deep into a drum corps? The only newbies we get are kids in band programs.

• Like 5

Who the hell from the outside actually cares enough to check that deep into a drum corps? The only newbies we get are kids in band programs.

Umm...the rest of the world (for example, businesses in your local community). A website is the face of the non-profit to the rest of the world. If someone sees the words "education" and "faculty", they probably will feel comfortable that they understand those terms. If someone sees drill designer or percussion caption head they might very well say huh??!? If you see your corps as part of a bigger picture things like that matter. If your attitude is "no one needs to understand this stuff if they don't already know about drum corps", well -- there's been plenty of discussion on DCP about the changing face of drum corps, finances and business models. No need to rehash it here.

• Like 2

Umm...the rest of the world (for example, businesses in your local community). A website is the face of the non-profit to the rest of the world. If someone sees the words "education" and "faculty", they probably will feel comfortable that they understand those terms. If someone sees drill designer or percussion caption head they might very well say huh??!? If you see your corps as part of a bigger picture things like that matter. If your attitude is "no one needs to understand this stuff if they don't already know about drum corps", well -- there's been plenty of discussion on DCP about the changing face of drum corps, finances and business models. No need to rehash it here.

Your scarecrow has bruises.

If drill designer is too obscure a term, then woe be unto the poor idiot who cannot understand it.

• Like 3

Just looked at the Cavaliers site and they had 66 from top to bottom. I guess that's the going rate these days.

Mike

i'm sure not everyone listed is full time

• Like 1

Supervisor : works from home or behind the scenes, makes final decisions, buck stops here for caption issues.

Coordinator : burns up the phone lines, organizes people, put out fires before they happen, lines up equipment/supplies, lines up field staff, works with other captions for changes in show.

Manager : feet on the ground, attends camps, direct contact with members, goes on tour, supervises techs, makes decisions on tour.

Arranger/Designer : preseason work, writing work and notes, attends a few camps possibly, can work from home.

Tech : poor college student, goes on tour, drinks beer, gets tan, cleans, wears sandals, grows beard, works hard.

Director : works 20 hours a day on tour, head honcho, gives speeches, diplomat.

Close?

Haha pretty close!

Only difference about Crown is that our arrangers and designers are with us for a lot of the summer, it still surprises me. And some of our techs are actually teachers at high schools and whatnot.

• Like 1

I'm calling shenanigans on this one. I can pretty much assure you that business owners aren't sitting around their offices eating gold flaked candy bars looking for websites that use the word "faculty" to pour their money into. Here is how that probably plays out:

Otto the Shop Owner: "Hey Bruno. Come check out the website of this fancy-pants marching band that got themselves some faculty."

Bruno: "Cool. Now can I get back to work doing something meaningful with my life?"

If a business owner in the community wanted to know what a drill writer is, they most likely will have a relationship with the organization already and can then just ask.

Plus, calling themselves faculty is somewhat insulting to the many hardworking faculty members on college campuses throughout this country.

• Like 7