A question regarding this week's DCI Spotlight

Tim K

Usually when a corps is being featured as the Spotlight of the Week, Michael Boo lets us know. We'll assume he didn't this week due to the Veterans' Day holiday being celebrated on Monday. This week the 1976 Cavaliers show is featured and it's vintage Cavaliers performing "Porgy and Bess" with a style and swagger that is all Cavaliers yesterday and today. In his description on the DCI website, a young and nameless "mallet keyboard" player is mentioned, and this person who loved to philosophize on drum corps went on to write about them. I'm assuming we all know the name of that mallet keyboard player.

Now as I watched the clip, I noticed a close up of a young mallet keyboard player. Mr. Boo, is that young man you back in the day?

Usually when a corps is being featured as the Spotlight of the Week, Michael Boo lets us know. We'll assume he didn't this week due to the Veterans' Day holiday being celebrated on Monday. This week the 1976 Cavaliers show is featured and it's vintage Cavaliers performing "Porgy and Bess" with a style and swagger that is all Cavaliers yesterday and today. In his description on the DCI website, a young and nameless "mallet keyboard" player is mentioned, and this person who loved to philosophize on drum corps went on to write about them. I'm assuming we all know the name of that mallet keyboard player.

Now as I watched the clip, I noticed a close up of a young mallet keyboard player. Mr. Boo, is that young man you back in the day?

Mike basically said in his spotlight column that it was him. Lean and mean!

• Like 1

Yes, that is me indeed.

I did not provide a link to the story or last week's and hope to be able to do so again soon. In the meantime, I must ask that no one else does, either. There are some behind-the-scenes issues being worked on by others and until a resolution, I'll remain a loyal reader and contributor to DCP and I'll support the goals and aspirations of all associated with this wonderful community of drum corps fans. That's all I can say and I ask others that if they truly enjoy my contributions and respect my work, to please not ask any questions of me or anyone else for now. Thank you much.

Where's Colombo when you need him?

Columbo is dead, but maybe Granny Smith could put on her Agatha Christy hat...

Nonetheless, I blame Hoppy, as well as electronics, woodwinds, and sampling.

ps - in before the close!

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1

That's all I can say and I ask others that if they truly enjoy my contributions and respect my work, to please not ask any questions of me or anyone else for now. Thank you much.

I can't imagine what carrying the keyboard around for more than one summer did for your back in later life.

What I do know is it did not affect your writing skills nor your sense of humour.

• Like 1

I can't imagine what carrying the keyboard around for more than one summer did for your back in later life.

What I do know is it did not affect your writing skills nor your sense of humour.

Truly, I don't think it hurt me in the long run. But when we went to the t-brace for 1977 and I moved to the heavier marimba, my back was screaming and I had to have frequent chiropractic adjustments by someone on staff. (He was a big bus driver who could just pick me up and shake me out, and I would hear my entire back pop as the compressed vertebrae went back into place.)

It might have even honed my writing skills, as I was determined to get into an occupation that never required any heavy lifting.

As for my sense of humor; I think that was sealed when I was one-year-old and pulled a wooden high chair over on myself, hitting and breaking my nose and causing me to sound like a duck when I talk.

• Like 2

Mike basically said in his spotlight column that it was him. Lean and mean!

I find it hard to believe I was ever that thin. But then, in college, I was anorexic for awhile; but I never told anyone. It resulted from an extremely traumatic experience a couple days before I left for college, before I transferred to the music college in Chicago, which allowed me to find out about Cavaliers. In a number of ways, I've said that drum corps saved my life. (And that's not an exaggeration.) I know it's had a positive impact on countless lives, and that's why we've got to do whatever we can to keep it alive and encourage it to thrive.

• Like 2

Where's Colombo when you need him?

i was too busy turning up the collar on my trench coat.

seriously, if what I hear is true, it'll all be worked out

• Like 1