Proposed Rule Change (2014)

Agree or disagree?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree or disagree?

You forgot apple pie, baby seals, fluffy bunnies and sunshine. Not to mention hockey.

I thought we agreed not to mention hockey.

I can’t believe that people are disagreeing with this proposal.

You must be apoplectic over the success of the entire Kardashian clan. And let's not even get into the "Gangnam Style" video.

I’m very surprised that there is not more support for good old American values. Perhaps the activity has become so far corrupted that it has attracted a fringe element that quinces its wicked desires by attending or participating in drum corps activates.

A quince isn't quite an apple and it isn't quite a pear and it primarily grows in China and neighboring countries. I don't think most people in this country know enough about the fruit to have really formed an opinion about it. I've had quince on my many trips to China and don't find it wicked at all, nor do I crave it enough while I'm there that I would consider my desire to be wicked. But, hey...maybe that's just me.

Maybe it’s too late to save this activity? How can people say no to the troops, children, America and mom?

Well, when you start dictating a religious prerogative as you originally did, you've got to expect that some people will react as they have. A corps doing a show about birds, a colors or seasons isn't spitting on the shoes of returning soldiers, kicking small children in the shins, burning a flag or flipping off grannie.

• Like 3

With all the G7 talk on DCP at least this post is upbeat, at least potentially. My guess is that it will get out of hand and locked.

Michael Cesario has suggested shows be more audience friendly, and I think this is being achieved, so positive is already covered. As far as protecting the nation's children, drum corps is so intense, kids involved don't have time for much else--covered.

Love of country and Christian values may be too close for comfort in regards to restrictions on religion and politics for DCP, but drum corps is all-American so love of country is covered. The same could be said for our Canadian friends, Blue Saints and Les Stentors. Les Stentors have members who want to lead the charge to bring DCI back to Canada, so for them that's love of country. As a believer, I see all kinds of ways God-given talents are used, and that's a Christian value that is shared by believer and non-believer alike.

The Hellcats and the Commandant's Own are always well recieved by drum corps fans, and the absence of the Commandant's Own last summer was keenly felt and the presence of the Hellcats was greatly appreciated. At DCI last summer, I heard some kids stop by the Marines' booth and thank the servicepeople. They were also asked to do push-ups and chin-ups since they were also recruiters, so we see respect and admiration of the troops.

So we don't need a rule change. Most of these proposals already exist.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

Forcing people to adhere to certain values make those values seem less appealing. I'm for the values you mention, but I'd rather the show designers have the liberty to think of them themselves. We've had shows that honored our troops (i.e. Blue Stars '09 and Cadets '02), and we've also had shows with Christian values (i.e. Cadets '12 and Pioneer '10). I disagree with this proposal because then the shows would just come off as forced and heartless. More creative freedom = Better shows.

Self-restraint.... must practice self-restraint... rock.gif

No but seriously, I am jackiechan.jpg everything about this post.

If serious:

You have committed the serious and unfortunate (and sadly common) fallacy of assuming everyone shares your values. Surprisingly, not everyone is you, nor would they wish to be subjected to your view of how things should be. Also that of speaking for large groups of people you not little to nothing about as though you were an expert.

Far too many people in this world want everything to according to only how they think things are/should be, and fail to recognize the reality and value that many people have many different viewpoints, which aren't necessarily greater or lesser than anyone else's.

You propose to reduce stagnancy by... imposing a set of mandatory themes that must be in every show? Seems that that reduces variety and increases sameness. If anything, THAT is stagnant. Shows would be samey, and after a while, if not right off the bat, things would get pretty boring. If everyone had a "big patriotic finish", that would get old fast.

But, seriously, I could rant for pages. If this is serious, this is incredibly close-minded.

If not, this is either terrible or brilliant (if there's a difference in cases like these) trolling.

Thank you very much, I'll keep my shows about dystopian futures, bird aliens, the apocalypse, and so on...

Edited by tubabeard42
  • Like 2

I can’t believe that people are disagreeing with this proposal. I’m very surprised that there is not more support for good old American values. Perhaps the activity has become so far corrupted that it has attracted a fringe element that quinces its wicked desires by attending or participating in drum corps activates. Maybe it’s too late to save this activity? How can people say no to the troops, children, America and mom?

I feel like I've just been trolled, but anyway...

What does that even mean? Working hard, and bearing the fruits of your labor? Drum corps has that covered. Perhaps the right to object to religious intolerance? If so, that certainly conflicts with certain elements of this proposal.

• Like 1

I agree with the original poster....Chief of the Moral Police. This activity has turned into a veritable cesspool of moral terpitude!

It all started when Corps started playing shows that include rock music. we all know that the 2/4

(snare hitting on the 2nd and 4th beats, while the bass drum lands on the 1st and 3rd beats) emphasis in the rythm of rock music

stirs the sensual/rebellious side of man. Therefore, we need to come up with a list of beats that inspire and uplift the soul of man,

not stir up the carnal flesh! I think a good starting point is to have all the staff make sure that shows are written in either 6/8 or 3/4 time to avoid the pulsing/thrusting rock feel....polka is a great way to stir up feelings of inspiration and patriotism as well, without bowing to the satanic, seductive, sweaty, lusty, heaving, pulsing beats from the sexy underworld!

Edited by Nine White Russians

I thought we agreed not to mention hockey.

Mmmmmm, if this was like hockey then WC would be locked out and OC plus DCA and the Alumni type corps would still be performing.....