Best Hornlines

Overlooked great hornlines (IMO)...

1993 Velvet Knights (one of the best 13th place shows ever)

1994 Cavaliers (one of their strongest horn-lines ever, great technique) (and much, much better than the 95 line which was part of a title-winning show)

1998 Phantom Regiment (stop me if you've heard this before: the visual book pooped the bed, but the musical performance was just fine)

1999 Blue Knights (Top 5 horn line as they revisit "Trittico")

2000 Phantom Regiment (see 1998; 4th place horn line, 4th place drum line, 7th place corps)

2002 Bluecoats (really thought they were underscored; great soloist in the closer)

2004 Phantom Regiment (gets lost in the 2003 love, but easily a Top 3 line that season)

2005 Academy [sam Pilafian coaching them on Shostakovich music; saw them in CA and was blown away by the huge sound (in fact; honestly, they were probably better than Vanguard, who had a rough year musically but was REALLY rough early in the season); maybe even better than their D2 championship line from the following year.]

I'd also throw 2009 Regiment in that mix. Say what you will about the visual/show design in general, but that hornline had some cojones. It's just too bad they didn't have the vehicle to use it properly. Kind of in the same vein as 98 and 2000, as you've mentioned.

Edited by poprocks
  • Like 1

PC this year for sure.

Bloo has always had some good lines IMO. Just look at the year they got shafted the Ott in 07! Cleanest and most controlled sound of all the corps that year. Every line 2010 and after were just great as well.

I really liked both the book and the sound of Troopers in 2011. That show was awesome!

• Like 4

2005 Academy [sam Pilafian coaching them on Shostakovich music; saw them in CA and was blown away by the huge sound (in fact; honestly, they were probably better than Vanguard, who had a rough year musically but was REALLY rough early in the season); maybe even better than their D2 championship line from the following year.]

Do there exist any recordings of Academy's 2005 show?

*Steps out of Mr Peabody's "Wayback machine".*

Has anyone here ever heard the 1979 Guardsmen? "Tiger of San Pedro" was on fire! "Greensleves" as the exit - Brilliant!

• Like 4

Must be a bunch of kids in here with no sense of history or exposure...Madison's horn lines were downright smokin throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's...Heck, just give a listen to 74' and 75'...pretty decent, oh wait, that's right, we won high horns in 75', Huh! go figure!...Mighty Fine Line!

These are good points, and I don't think anyone would legitimately argue Madison has not had some great horn lines over the years.

But seeing as this is the modern DCI World Class forum, and not the "historical" forum, I think it's fair to stipulate that many kids in here are thinking modern and not decades ago. Perhaps the most appropriate place to talk about Madison's awesome horn line in 1975 would be here: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/forum/59-historical-junior-corps-discussions/