High Mark Time

In '84 we used quite a bit of HMT, like straight out of the gate in opener when our DM Andy McCarthy gave the MTH command to step off, then again before the sforzando section. A couple sections of Tenderland used it (once was at the pass-thru for 2 short counts, I think.) In '85 we used it toward the end of opener as the parallelogram in Festive Overture expanded, and in that case we did it with our lower bodies facing the goal line and horns towards the stands so the red stripe on the white pants would "pop" at the audience. I also liked '87 SCVs use of HMT at the end RCM as previously mentioned as it was so "in your face" and a wonderful visual exclamation point complimented by the "This Amp Goes to 11" SCV drum kick.

Edited by TRacer

1975 Scouts... the French horn line doing high mark time during their feature in Rhapsody in Blue. :thumbup:/>

Former drum corps Frenchie player here... it was hard enough to play those horns standing still, yet alone at high mark time, especially during softer passages like the one in Rhapsody. Awesome.

:ph34r:

I'll do you one better Fran! '76 Scouts, in the closer the last big push starts with the sops in an old-fashioned elbow-to-elbow front, with a nearly uniform HMT..what makes it special is it's at about 80 bpm..and at about FFFFF volume..If they'd had another week.. :thumbup:

They also had the big diamond/wedge explosion in 'Rhapsody' in '76 after the form was shifted side to side - everybody comes out of the form with the high step..Pretty Bad### for its time.. :worthy:

Pat

I miss the High Mark Time too, but with today's varying tempo changes you have to be quick on your feet, and that's hard to do while you're kicking your knees up.

Many corps use high mark time as a starting point for weight control and keeping the upper body still while moving the lower body, core control, all that good stuff. Start out slow doing 8 up 8 down with each leg. Also good at starting uniformity. Where does my toe point? When does my other foot come off the ground? how far up should I be at halfway? Good starting point... and a nice visual statement every so often in a show...

Otherwise.... thank goodness we have moved on! devil.gif

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

Doing it everyday the summer of 88' despite the fact we didn't do it in the show. To paraphrase visual caption head Charlie Anderson, 'we do it because it is hard'.

High mark time AND French Horns!

• Like 1