Carolina Crown 2013

Yeah.. but not many people recognize that. They see drill that isn't whiplash drill and automatically assume that it is easy.

And I've been very vocal on how I disapprove of Leon May's drill for the most part. Some cool stuff to watch. And it is honestly amazing the level they are able to perform their shows, because their drill sets them up for failure in many captions. In fact, I don't think they get the music credit they deserve because of the added environmental demands from the drill. And color guard staging is not one of Leon's strong points. However, Jamey Thompson is one of the best in the game. Gaines was pretty #### good also. I also enjoy Ed Devlin's staging a whole lot, and Crossmen do get credit for that, but the actual dirll for the corps proper is boring as hell. Let's see how many times I can reshape this arc.....

I don't know if I'm right or not, I'm pretty sure Crown has had that same drill writer for quite a few years, but something like 3 or 4 different vis caption heads and staffs that I'm aware of. Yet no one has quite been able to get the hang of the "look at all the stuff I can do on pyware!" style he has, to me anyway. Like I said, people have observed how well Crown can score in visual for how messy than can look, 09 circa Allentown comes to mind so maybe my idea of what should be a good feet score is different than the actual definition that's on the sheets. But May does have a style, there is definitely consistent syntax and vocabulary he speaks with and I especially enjoyed the 80s Cadets and 93 Star quotes and allusions I thought I perceived in the drill writing in 2012.

But I think hands down the best drill writer of the last few years has been whoever the person or team is at BD. Nobody balances and stages the field quite like them. Does anyone remember the 45 degree funhouse mirror reflection effect between high and low brass at the hit in the Laura ballad in 2010? Just genius. People (erroneously) pointed out how easy and lacking of marching in drill sets 09 was but I thought that show had the best drill ever written at the time. I could talk about Cabaret Voltaire for a long, long time, that show is beyond genius. Just a clinic on how to write thoughtful, unique drill. they deserved those 20s on the sheets and then some.

Recent thread summary:

A. I think these captions were judged correctly but those captions were not.

B. No those captions were right on and these captions were complete nonsense.

C. Don't really like Crown -- gonna post in their thread to see if anyone of their fanboys freak out.

D. Phantom's show was not easy.

E. Phantom's show was way overrated.

Now that you've got all of that out of your system, here's some more PLC:

(kinda like TLC only better!)

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

But I think hands down the best drill writer of the last few years has been whoever the person or team is at BD. Nobody balances and stages the field quite like them. Does anyone remember the 45 degree funhouse mirror reflection effect between high and low brass at the hit in the Laura ballad in 2010? Just genius. People (erroneously) pointed out how easy and lacking of marching in drill sets 09 was but I thought that show had the best drill ever written at the time. I could talk about Cabaret Voltaire for a long, long time, that show is beyond genius. Just a clinic on how to write thoughtful, unique drill. they deserved those 20s on the sheets and then some.

I'm sure that someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Jay Murphy (and company) writes the drill at BD and has 4ever and a day.

I've never been a huge fan of that writing, but his staging is done very well. I remember Michael Cesario gushing over his drill writing abilities as far back as 1987 or 1988.

He is very well respected and we can not argue with that for sure.

Todd Ryan (and company) is in charge of the marching technique et cetera of the members ( OK, I'm not sure that he still is, but he has been there 4ever and I'm sure it would be news if that changed). I have great respect for this guy for sure.

BD's drill since around 07 or so has bored to me death. And I don't think it has really been all that good. I guess it works on the sheets well... it's not my cup of tea really, and is not entertaining to me. I'd take Leon May's writing any day over BDs. And I had a good long conversation with BDs drill writer and a couple of other staff members over a couple of beers at a bar in Allentown. I respect what they do. But I just do not like their shows. And after that conversation.. I feel like they are in their own little world. There really are good intentions.. they always design with the fans in mind, according to them. I just think they are at a disconnect with many fans. They are doing what they like to do, and they assume that everyone will love that. I really can't blame them.. how are they gonna design a show that their heart isn't in?

I would expand on my thoughts and reasoning more. But this is the Carolina Crown 2013 thread... and I'll let the conversation go back to Crown.

• Like 4

Recent thread summary:

A. I think these captions were judged correctly but those captions were not.

B. No those captions were right on and these captions were complete nonsense.

C. Don't really like Crown -- gonna post in their thread to see if anyone of their fanboys freak out.

D. Phantom's show was not easy.

E. Phantom's show was way overrated.

Now that you've got all of that out of your system, here's some more PLC:

(kinda like TLC only better!)

Crown fanboys never freak out!!

I have enjoyed the brass band postings though. Great genre of music. So happy Crown is exploring it and bringing it into drum corps more. It's obviously very compatible with our activity.

Crown fanboys never freak out!!

I have enjoyed the brass band postings though. Great genre of music. So happy Crown is exploring it and bringing it into drum corps more. It's obviously very compatible with our activity.

Bertrand Moren was pretty happy with Crown playing his stuff (not to mention impressed with how well they did it).

PLC is apparently a pretty hot commodity in the brass band world. I think it's very cool to see Crown exploring this genre.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

I don't know if I'm right or not, I'm pretty sure Crown has had that same drill writer for quite a few years, but something like 3 or 4 different vis caption heads and staffs that I'm aware of. Yet no one has quite been able to get the hang of the "look at all the stuff I can do on pyware!" style he has, to me anyway. Like I said, people have observed how well Crown can score in visual for how messy than can look, 09 circa Allentown comes to mind so maybe my idea of what should be a good feet score is different than the actual definition that's on the sheets. But May does have a style, there is definitely consistent syntax and vocabulary he speaks with and I especially enjoyed the 80s Cadets and 93 Star quotes and allusions I thought I perceived in the drill writing in 2012.

Just because it looks cool on Pyware, doesn't mean it'll work on the field. The computer doesn't tell the human element into play when it creates the drill and sets it in motion. Pass-throughs and routes don't always work out. Even if Crown had hit every dot on the charts perfectly, it would've still had front-to-back spacing and pass-through issues.

I'm sure that someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Jay Murphy (and company) writes the drill at BD and has 4ever and a day.

I've never been a huge fan of that writing, but his staging is done very well. I remember Michael Cesario gushing over his drill writing abilities as far back as 1987 or 1988.

He is very well respected and we can not argue with that for sure.

Todd Ryan (and company) is in charge of the marching technique et cetera of the members ( OK, I'm not sure that he still is, but he has been there 4ever and I'm sure it would be news if that changed). I have great respect for this guy for sure.

I agree that I'm not overwhelmed and super impressed by what their drill does, but, most importantly, the right people are in the right places at the right times.

• Like 2

Thank you, Michael Klesch and Crown, for introducing the activity to Lovatt-Cooper. Maybe this will be your Crowning Achievement thus far. Thanks too to those posters who have shared individual clips of his works for us to hear. I can easily imagine Immortal and Hero on the DCI field with the right brass lines and soloists. Yes, they are relatively unknown pieces to the Common Man, but I believe the audience (and judges) would fall in love with them as I have.

• Like 3