Carolina Crown 2013

I bet they sing. Either individuals in mics or the whole group.

Oh, I hope not. I prefer drum corps to adapt works from other forms to their idiom, not try to recreate the other forms.

• Like 2

That could work well for them.

From what I heard in the camps, if you're looking for this piece to be a major part of the show, you may end up disappointed.

What, exactly, is so wrong with something being "atonal?" It's still music!

Annnnnnnd, someone missed the joke. :tongue:

• Like 4

I don't see the joke. I think it was some swipe at BD for the music that they put out in 2010.

I believe that was intended to be the joke.

• Like 2

I believe that was intended to be the joke.

Ahhhh that's not a joke, that's just stating what BD does with a little stank on it. People forget that the BD was awfully close to Crown in brass the whole summer and even topped them at various points. And one could make the argument that BD could have taken Ott at retreat, if not won brass at least one of the last three nights. "Jokes" like these perpetuate the myth that Crown somehow has brass immunity and the blue devils are on some free ride with the judges.

• Like 3

Ahhhh that's not a joke, that's just stating what BD does with a little stank on it. People forget that the BD was awfully close to Crown in brass the whole summer and even topped them at various points. And one could make the argument that BD could have taken Ott at retreat, if not won brass at least one of the last three nights. "Jokes" like these perpetuate the myth that Crown somehow has brass immunity and the blue devils are on some free ride with the judges.

It's not really a myth. Their brass has been very successful in the eyes of the judges over the past few years. The same judges that have been putting BD at the top overall. As a matter of fact, I believe BD won brass the year they played the "atonal" show in question. No, Crown is not infallible when it comes to brass performance. But I think they have begun to establish themselves as the "corps to beat" in that particular caption.

Much like BD is the corps to beat overall in any given year.

• Like 4