Carolina Crown 2013

i can't be the only one who doesn't much care for it.... can I?

the narration is pretty irritating to me, especially the ballad "oh john i love you so much and want to have your babies bla bla"

The music, while having a lot of 'cool' parts, is not quite as engaging as last year, but by no means bad

hornline is great for this early though, :)

The "narration" is actually part of the original piece (as is the counting (as is a lot of the movement)).

http://www.youtube.c...vrny4hQ#t=3m57s

IMO they did an amazing job in maintaining the character of the original while adapting it very well to the medium.

Edited by corpsband

there is a full video of them performing the show on youtube. i have already informed crown and it might be down shortly.

• Like 1

I just played that video thru my vehicles sterio system while driving to work. Not watching the video ofcourse, but damm that horn line is amazing already. You never let me down crown! The Abbis section was awesome. The only thing I was listening for was that music they played in that teaser video. You hear a tad of it at the end but not much. Perhaps that's to be added. Overall from just listening to it I am very impressed. Even with the vocals. Which I know is part of the original Einstein on the beach.

the narration is pretty irritating to me, especially the ballad "oh john i love you so much and want to have your babies bla bla"

I think people will discuss the show a lot more than the uniforms when the year starts.

I saw the video early this morning and watched it about 5 times. To be honest, the first time I saw it I was of the opinion "What?". I have never listened to Einstein on the Beach in it's entirety so the narration in the ballad was a surprise. So I looked for a video of that section of his composition.

By the 3rd time viewing the video I was in awe. The people doing the vocals are quite exposed and so well weaved into the show. Every viewing showed something else even with the lack of a higher camera angle.

I still have the ballad going through my head. The only thing I would want changed right now is the ending of the ballad - too abrupt at the moment.

One final thought. This show is "out there" and I feel it will eventually be embraced by many. If The Cadets had done the same show, the negative reaction would fill an entire forum.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

The music, while having a lot of 'cool' parts, is not quite as engaging as last year, but by no means bad

hornline is great for this early though, :)

I like the spoken words used as syncopated effect. That adds interesting texture.

The "John and Mary" part, however, not so much. Same issue Cadets had with their attempts at it - if you are going to break the emotional mood set by the music with lines of verbiage, the vocal talent presenting it better be James Earl Jones caliber. It looked like the action they were presenting with the bench, etc. was self-explanatory, so perhaps the words will be trimmed/go away at some point.

• Like 1

They've already made some changes since I last heard them two weeks ago. And I like all of them! Good stuff!

No -- rotate leg at hip joint with the foot in tendu. They're usually in a nice wide 2nd position demi plié.

Imagine stepping on a bug with your toe and rotating your leg to make sure it's dead! Not sure if that's any sort of official name for it but it's often referred to that way.

Why did this post get a -1? He was giving information. I gave him a +1 just to combat the guy being a #########.

• Like 1

I like the spoken words used as syncopated effect. That adds interesting texture.

The "John and Mary" part, however, not so much. Same issue Cadets had with their attempts at it - if you are going to break the emotional mood set by the music with lines of verbiage, the vocal talent presenting it better be James Earl Jones caliber. It looked like the action they were presenting with the bench, etc. was self-explanatory, so perhaps the words will be trimmed/go away at some point.

I totally get what you're saying, but if you listen to the recording, that's pretty much how the lines are read. This is kind of one of those shows where you have to do a little homework to get what's going on. And I completely understand that some people won't care for it.