Carolina Crown 2013

Just saw the video on YouTube - there is some amazing stuff going on over there!

I know people have been talking about the narration during the ballad and whether it's a good idea or not. I'm curious - does anyone know what the idea behind the narration is? I really like what I saw of the show in the video, but I can't quite figure out in that part of the show what a love story has to do with E = mc squared. This is in NO way a rip on the corps or show. As I said above, I really like what I see so far - it's more out of curiosity.

Any thoughts?

I noticed that too, besides playing EotB, there's nothing jumping out at me regarding the equation/physics/science. Perhaps it has to do with the forms? While I'm glad they're using a lot of EotB, I'm disappointed that they are using so little of Dark Side of the Moon. In any case I'm sure half the show will change by August.

The first time I watched this I was on a conference bridge for work and thought where's the Crown Sound? The next 3 times I was paying full attention and was not disappointed with the sound.

I don't mind the counting. The John and Mary part will take some getting used to but I'll wait to see the full product with unis before I say something like "I don't like it".

As for the uni, I posted last night that I didn't know about the stripe but it's growing on me and I really think the uniforms will look great on the field.

• Like 1

No!!!!!! Because criticism can only be about design and not performance!

Is this a Seinfeld reunion plot?

Not referring to talent or performance at all, promise.

All three shows have sections I love and hate.

BD opener and drum break are amazing, visually and musically. As of right this moment its my favorite design wise of the 3.

Crown, loved the ballad musically, hated the narration. Show doesn't seem "crown" to me. It seems a blend of cadets/bd. I think drastic changes need to be made for it to be the fan favorite.

Cadets, I've always liked the music. Show Definitly needs some work to convey the theme. Strong all around captions.

I think these three shows are very artistic and abstract in nature. While different, they're kind of similar. I don't think this will be your top 3 this year. Design wise, I think phantom or SCV could break in there. Ive yet to see cavies, but who knows right?

I do think it should be an exciting season. I want it to start already!

• Like 3

the video has been taken off youtube....glad i downloaded it before it was

OK , so yesterday I posted that this thread had a little of 100,000 views.....today the number has jumped from 100,000 to 119,256 views......unbelievable......

I totally get what you're saying, but if you listen to the recording, that's pretty much how the lines are read.

No offense to the young man performing it (and I'm sure he's not reading this anyway), but every time drum corps puts a microphone in a college kid's hands and says "talk," it comes off poorly. Professional voiceover people get work because they can do something very well that most people can't do without sounding stilted. Either hire a pro and have it recorded well, hire someone to come in and coach the performer toward a professional delivery, or drop it.

All that said, on balance, I think they're at a great starting point.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

THIS WEEKEND’S UPDATE…

So the preverbal “Cat is out of the BAG”……pictures of the uniforms, video clips and audio clips are floating around in the interweb. Nothing left to hide behind………except for pulling the rabbit out of their “Fake-Os” later in the season……… :ph34r:

Good luck to the 2013 Carolina Crown as the load up and heading westward. Safe travels and see in Charlotte at nightBEAT.

• Like 1

1370883465[/url]' post='3266085']

No offense to the young man performing it (and I'm sure he's not reading this anyway), but every time drum corps puts a microphone in a college kid's hands and says "talk," it comes off poorly. Professional voiceover people get work because they can do something very well that most people can't do without sounding stilted. Either hire a pro and have it recorded well, hire someone to come in and coach the performer toward a professional delivery, or drop it.

All that said, on balance, I think they're at a great starting point.

I meant in the original recording of the song, you hear a man recite those same lines in that same...for lack of a better adjective...weird voice. I wish I could find the link. I think he was told to sound the way he sounds.