Carolina Crown 2013

1374341475[/url]' post='3289812']

agreed - the books get in each others way... Worried they may finish 6th or even 7th - that will kill a Gold. 4th would possibly be ok depending on the spreads.

One thing I know BD does, is one guy, Dave Glyde I think is his name, writes the entire book, brass and percussion, then Scott Johnson takes that and puts his touch on it...this is the reason their horns and percussion are so well integrated, and things just fit. If Crown had Cadets line I think they would be scoring about the same in drums.

It's a unique way to approach things. The book is written with brass and percussion together. Just about everyone I know writes the horn book then the percussion arranger does his thing. What's unique about that approach is how many people have the talent and ability to write a horn and percussion book at the same time as one piece?

Edited by JKT90

An observation about Crown. Hornline, visual, GE all awesome. Weakness is the drumline, but not in the way some have said (talent level). What occurred to me is this show was written for brass, and in the writing I've done, this show would be particularly challenging to write from a battery/field percussion perspective. The brass plays so many notes its difficult to write in a way such that the percussion can compliment them, or the music is slower melodic, again hard to write for. Just my opinion of course, but I would not want to be the one writing the drum book. It's almost as if they wrote the horn book and said here you go, write the percussion book. If they don't win, it will because the line finishes below 4th, and if that happens I think it's more to do with how hard the music is to write for from a percussion point of view. With that said, I'm hoping they pull it out.

Always wondered how the books are written. Still, when I saw Crown at Warrensburg they were amazing. Then when I saw them again last Tuesday in Bentonville. They just blew me away!Percussion was so much better and integrated into the brass book, and that was only 4 days after the Warrensburg show. So I guess I'm not too worried about it.By the time August rolls around they should be on fire!

• Like 1

Always wondered how the books are written. Still, when I saw Crown at Warrensburg they were amazing. Then when I saw them again last Tuesday in Bentonville. They just blew me away!Percussion was so much better and integrated into the brass book, and that was only 4 days after the Warrensburg show. So I guess I'm not too worried about it.By the time August rolls around they should be on fire!

That's how I have always seen it done, or done myself. You get a cd with the music, you get a conductor score and generally go through it with the director and drill designer and discuss Hits, phrasing, areas where you are exposed, etc and get a feel for how the piece flows...then you get in a quiet room and start listening over and over phrase by phrase while following the conductor chart, and slowly begin jotting notes down. I always looked for areas where the drum line was exposed, because that was where I added a little greater difficulty of execution, the writing can also hide exposed attacks or weak areas. I was always a slow writer and it took a looong time for me to get a piece written, I would rather focus on dynamics, technique and cleaning if I had a choice. What I would love is to sit in a staff meeting discussing what the next show will be.

Watch the link below. If this run was last night then no, there aren't many changes coming tonight.

Do we expect any new additions tonight?

Was just looking at the San Antonio thread and there's one thing that really is easy to find on almost every page. Everyone thinks the drum line is killing them........Is that really true? I mean I've read the recaps and everything and can pretty well understand them. Earlier in this thread it was explained that the battery is so low is because this is a brass book type show. Can the battery be turned around? How would they go about to dramatically improve them in time for finals? I'm still not worried and I kinda agree with the scores from tonight because it seemed Crown was a bit off tonight. I'm sure thats' a fluke because some of the things I heard/saw on the fan network broadcast I have never seen them make before. I still don't think Crowns' battery is going as bad as everyone's making them out to be but it seems they need a new routine or way of practicing to improve them for the road ahead.........your thoughts?

One thing I know BD does, is one guy, Dave Glyde I think is his name, writes the entire book, brass and percussion, then Scott Johnson takes that and puts his touch on it...this is the reason their horns and percussion are so well integrated, and things just fit. If Crown had Cadets line I think they would be scoring about the same in drums.

It's a unique way to approach things. The book is written with brass and percussion together. Just about everyone I know writes the horn book then the percussion arranger does his thing. What's unique about that approach is how many people have the talent and ability to write a horn and percussion book at the same time as one piece?

Wait a minute...the same guy writes both the horn & drum charts? Can someone confirm this? Just doesn't sound right to me.

Wait a minute...the same guy writes both the horn & drum charts? Can someone confirm this? Just doesn't sound right to me.

Dave Glyde was in the snare line there. He writes the brass book, and has for a while. I don't know how much of the drum book he writes. I wonder if he gives an outline, and Scott fills it in ....

Was just looking at the San Antonio thread and there's one thing that really is easy to find on almost every page. Everyone thinks the drum line is killing them........Is that really true? I mean I've read the recaps and everything and can pretty well understand them. Earlier in this thread it was explained that the battery is so low is because this is a brass book type show. Can the battery be turned around? How would they go about to dramatically improve them in time for finals? I'm still not worried and I kinda agree with the scores from tonight because it seemed Crown was a bit off tonight. I'm sure thats' a fluke because some of the things I heard/saw on the fan network broadcast I have never seen them make before. I still don't think Crowns' battery is going as bad as everyone's making them out to be but it seems they need a new routine or way of practicing to improve them for the road ahead.........your thoughts?

I don't think the percussion is "killing them". It is their weakest section but still time to go. My issue is the corps seems to be having more off nights and did they peak too soon? Overall, they are the corps most likely to win the gold. Maybe BD is cleaning up nicely but not sure that show is better. I think Cadets winning overall GE is more of a concern especially once they clean that guard. (Their nemesis). I still have Crown in #1 in Indy slightly over Cadets.