Carolina Crown 2013

There's some Rolling Thunder in here, their parade tune (I think), and a couple of other things. I have to say, those guys at the beginning have some serious singing chops. Great arranging too.

This video just goes to show how great these guys (as well as any other ensemble that performs at TOC shows) are at performing, no matter what the task (drum corps show, small ensemble, singing quartet).

There is absolutely NO sound I like more than that of Crown's hornline. They're simply amazing.

• Like 2

Wait. What?

This is the part of Einstein on the beach that Crown masterfully omitted. Thank God!

• Like 1

Just got home from watching Crown in Bentonville, this time my seat was excellent, 50 yard line 3rd row center. Absolutely amazing seeing them that close and hearing the power behind the horns was unbelievable. Great Job!!

• Like 1

There's some Rolling Thunder in here, their parade tune (I think), and a couple of other things. I have to say, those guys at the beginning have some serious singing chops. Great arranging too.

This video just goes to show how great these guys (as well as any other ensemble that performs at TOC shows) are at performing, no matter what the task (drum corps show, small ensemble, singing quartet).

Go "Team Ronda!" and "Creamsicles"

Edited by splat-a-drag-a-phonium
  • Like 1

The more I listen/watch Crown's warmups this season, hear them play stuff like Rolling Thunder from the previous page, and hear parts of their show, the more and more I'm impressed with their contra line. Obviously the entire brass line is out of their minds talented, but every time I listen to that one youtube video where they're running some music from the closer and I hear how clean the contras are just rolling through that tempo and the runs, the more my jaw continues to drop off my face. I can't be the only one to notice this. What say you people?

Sorry, just found your comment which exactly expresses my sentiment made 7/12 after viewing the brass rehearsal at Mounds View H.S. in Arden, MN.

All I can say, contra tuba musicians is, WOW.

• Like 1

It's been corps policy for a while now. Not sure when exactly it started, but I think at least a couple years before I started (09). The guard was allowed to have facial hair for Rach Star, though, since it fit the show.

This is no surprise as so many of their design team/caption heads marched (Garfield) Cadets (of Bergen County) especially during the Zingali years where he really brought back the clean look for performance sake.

Some say a tie is like kissing your sister, which is why the tie with Cadets at DeKalb has garnered no comments on this thread and as few on the others. No one talks about that stuff.

More than the facial hair presence or absence is the comment made by a bando watching a Crown practice: "Do they take only people of one body type, trim/lean or is that what tour does to them?"

None of this may mean squat coming from me, but it's the end result of having seen this show as it's been getting tighter and cleaner a number of times this season, so at least accept the fact that it comes straight from the heart and soul.

First, I've been one of the loudest, whiniest nativists when talking about the use of electronics, amplification, narration, and anything else I can think of to pin on the Hop. In fact, I have consistently held that "Triple Crown" was the most annoying drum corps show ever fielded.

That person is now so alien to me, I'm inclined to narc him out to the Feds as a "person of interest."

This year's show is, to the best of my experience, the most amazing and electrifying I've seen in 30 years, and I see no reason why Crown should not only win Nats, but sweep captions. The horn book is so ridiculously intricate and complex, while being so wonderfully engaging that this is the first show I've ever seen where I, a drummer since my prenatal concert tour in 1966, haven't YET bothered to pay the slightest whit of attention to the battery.

In other words, I have to think high horns is a lock in the long run, anyway. Further, using the analogy of a baseball team, wherein one or two players performing at intensity and higher-than-average skill, more often than not elevate the play of their teammates, I can't help but think percussion will eventually dominate similarly.

At DeKalb, my seat was in a location where almost each of the seven corps' instructional staff and volunteers stood to watch their respective corps' performances. Following Crown, I turned and saw an older woman, in tears, who I assumed to be a volunteer. Briefly wishing she were an instructor (she might have been, for all I know), I remarked to her anyway that I sincerely hope they all were enjoying the ride, because there is nothing sweeter than your first DCI Championship.

Lord Angelica knows, they've certainly earned it.

:worthy:

Edited by HollywoodNeoCon
  • Like 9

So we are halfway thru the season now. Will Crown stick with this current ending of the show? or do they have something up their sleeve ready to pull out and surprise us all with? They have two days off next week prior to Atlanta and if they do I would suspect that is when we may see it.

So we are halfway thru the season now. Will Crown stick with this current ending of the show? or do they have something up their sleeve ready to pull out and surprise us all with? They have two days off next week prior to Atlanta and if they do I would suspect that is when we may see it.

I would almost 100% expect them to change it. Don't know when.