Carolina Crown 2013

Would be cool to see them do a Philip Sparke show. Cadets did one in '97, and it was awesome! Especially that crazy run at the beginning, kind of like Crown's run this year in the show. thumbup.gif

Also, I think Sara Bareilles would work great on the field. I'm holding out hope that Bluecoats or Crown will do "Hold my Heart".

Yeah the Coats could definitely pull off her music as well.

Guess nobody else wants to play Crown designer :-)

Anyway I love Klesch's touch with pop ballads. Seems to bring out what's really great in a song and still create just amazing drumcorps moments with them.

• Like 1

Anyway I love Klesch's touch with pop ballads. Seems to bring out what's really great in a song and still create just amazing drumcorps moments with them.

OK...I will play along. My first hope is that there is a Bertrand or PLC original composition in the works (which I have expressed to a few on the design team). But in second place I would love a show played around PLC's Immortal. I DO think they will continue the brass band piece(s) this year.

Anyway I love Klesch's touch with everything. Seems to bring out what's really great in every piece of music and still create just amazing drumcorps moments with them.

FTFY.

OK...I will play along. My first hope is that there is a Bertrand or PLC original composition in the works (which I have expressed to a few on the design team). But in second place I would love a show played around PLC's Immortal. I DO think they will continue the brass band piece(s) this year.

I sure hope they continue the brass band pieces next year. They fit drum corps, specifically Crown, more than most music I've heard.

Edited by cmathis

Hmm...the time frame would fit on this too: 2 year lead time on a commissioned work :-) That's a pretty exciting idea (especially if there's a visual concept they have in the filing cabinet that's just searching for the right music) !

FTFY.

I sure hope they continue the brass band pieces next year. They fit drum corps, specifically Crown, more than most music I've heard.

OK. Point taken. But I still have a particular enjoyment of his pop music ballads (Wild Horses, Angel, BohRhap).

And yes yes yes to the Brass Band stuff. Perfect fit for Crown and a very deep pool that's mostly untapped.

Oh man oh man YES!!! Crown turned me on to Lovatt-Cooper this year and the Black Dyke Band has me hooked on Immortal. This song is just screaming to be played by a capable DC hornline!!! In second place, I wouldn't mind an original PLC composition.

Do you know if he would consider such a thing for a drum corps? Is he even aware of the activity? I would contribute $$ to Crown to help them pay for that for sure.

Edited by Medeabrass

When it comes to Paul Lovatt Cooper, I agree wholeheartedly with the idea for Immortal on a DCI field but for my money, I think Where Eagles Sing would translate extremely well too. I could feel that in a show about air and it's movement. A more uplifting type show that just leaves stadiums ringing with the pure brass sound. I'd really like to see something like that.

Erte Productions Winter Guard 1985...good stuff...one year of existence and they won with this music....I'm ready..

Erte Productions was a renaming of the Massachusetts guard Quasar (see http://colorguardhistoricalsociety.ning.com/group/quasar ). 1985 was their final year.

Zingali had been on their staff -- perhaps from the beginning of that guard. Their prelims performance in Dayton was magical; finals was excellent but didn't have the same special tingle.

I got the 4-CD "Einstein on the Beach" set after that WGI show. It was a real blast to hear that Philip Glass music again this summer. It was the very first time I've actually enjoyed amplified voices in a drum corps show.

My other favorite Zingali WGI moment was Emerald Marquis in 1990 in Buffalo. They were performing Candide. There was a moment of the show of solos by a flag, saber, and rifle. The rifle did 3 behind-the-back catches and throws in a row. I recall hearing the famous Zingali "Hup! ... Hup! ... Hup!" in the audience. I believe that was the last WGI show that Zingali attended.

Just a brief aside, but preorders are up in DCI's store and there aren't any licensing problems with Crown's show. I don't know if I expected them or not but I am relieved the show can be seen in full.

Just a brief aside, but preorders are up in DCI's store and there aren't any licensing problems with Crown's show. I don't know if I expected them or not but I am relieved the show can be seen in full.

I won't assume that those are the only cuts until I get the Blu-ray in hand. LOL! I just know that things can change. Look at 2008. DCI didn't know about the problems with Phantom's show until after the first batch of DVD's were created and ready to be shipped.

I do want to say that it feels like there are fewer rights issues, so far, this year than in past seasons. So, that's good.