Carolina Crown 2013

Am I weird to say that I actually liked Crown's percussion book? More so than Cadets and BD?

I know it wasn't clean. But to me it fit the music much better. As a brass guy... all i hear from most lines is notes notes notes. I know a lot of corps primarily write the horn book first with probably a pit outline in place along with that. It makes sense.. most the music arranged includes melody and harmony... so you would need to arrange that first before you add completely original music to arrangement of the source music. It then makes sense for the battery composer to write a score. I feel like Crown's writer really wanted to use the drums to enhance the music. Not to overpower it. Or distract from the horn book. I find Crown's complete musical arrangements much more in sync with each other than other corps. Even BD where they supposedly write everything basically at the same time? I guess that could work too... I just don't like how they choose to arrange?

I try to stay away from talking about drum lines because I could easily make a fool out of myself. But clean vs dirty I can't tell as easily as musical and fitting to the music vs ramming notes or just drumming because we can. Maybe Crown was ramming notes? I mean the horns surely were...

Drum parts are usually the only thing that is truly original music in the marching activity when the whole show itself isn't original music. I feel like some writers are trying too hard to make the drumline stand out at alltimes. Save that for the drum break. I'd rather everything be in balance. And maybe that is why Crown had decent analysis scores. That and especially in the dome... you can't hear what is clean or dirty unless you are right on top of it... because if you take a step away it gets LOST... so the box wouldn't be able to make any real call.

I'm really just getting into the world of drumlines... it's a weird one that is for sure.

Anyway.. I really loved Crown's complete product this year. I was amazed the three times I saw the show live and every time I watched a video on Fan Network or wherever. An awesome show, a deserved championship. Made a lot of history this year. Seriously awesome product. Congrats Crown, KEEP BRINGING IT!

GREAT post.

1) No one has confirmed with T Hannum that he was just handed the brass book and told to "fit in his parts". That's purely DCP speculation. (Gotta love DCP memes).

However Klesch's arranging preserves the original to a very large degree. Interestingly enough PLC is a PERCUSSIONIST by trade. One would speculate the original perc parts were pretty challenging /tasty.

2) I agree 100 million percent that ENSEMBLE is important. It's my understanding that TH's book was very non-traditional in this respect: there was very little "snares ram", hand off , "basses ram", hand off, "tenors ram". Instead it more a constant ensemble feel in the writing.

Anyhow it's always amusing to read the DCP bloviating. There's no doubt Crown's battery had trouble getting that book clean. There's also no doubt in my mind that TH wrote an extremely difficult book -- it was just very different for DCI and a difficult read for most judges.

It will be interesting to see what happens off-season. I sort of hope that TH stays around. Crown kind of enjoys being non-conventional. It would be entirely in their character to keep heading off in a different direction.

A more traditional book would have had Crown with much more comfortable winning margins in most shows. That 0.5 really hurt them score-wise all season.

But alls well that ends well. That show was undeniably the best product on the field this year --narration, purple pants and all.

• Like 2

How on earth is Matt Harloff not deaf by now?

When those mellos hit their top note for a moment I lost them in the trumpet sound it was that in tune and I just started laughing because it was so absolutely insane. Man were they locked in. That's a finals warmup too. I would do unspeakable things to be able to hear how they sounded in person that night.

Can't wait to see what Crown can put on the field next year. This show was amazing, and can hopefully mean that they can build on this next year. Same with the guard talent, they were great this year! I'm sure the percussion program will continue improving in the next year or two, given that they keep the same staff. Been watching the encore videos, and they really nailed that last performance. It's cool that they got to perform one last time together.

I can't be the only one out there that thought the guard soloist in the ballad was really cute. Hopefully she wasn't an age-out. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Here's a great video focusing on the drum line. You can really hear how the drum book works with the brass book rather than standing out from it. I can't remember if it was said earlier in this thread or another but this year's drum book wasn't bad, it was just a different mindset than most other DCI drum books.

Edited by ShainaBassoon

Here's a great video focusing on the drum line. You can really hear how the drum book works with the brass book rather than standing out from it. I can't remember if it was said earlier in this thread or another but this year's drum book wasn't bad, it was just a different mindset than most other DCI drum books.

I personally loved the drum book this year.

I LOVED the drum book this year.

I think the video above is illustrative of how the book was written rhythmically to match the horns. I thought it was elegant as heck, and if you want to see the difficulty in the meters, watch this video of the drumline solo and pay attention to the drum major's conducting. While there's a pulse buried in there, the meter is all over the place.

Obviously, though, the judges felt differently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ8fn-wXCqY

Edited by garfield

Garfields_Kid mows the yard. When I came home a couple days ago I found this. He had cut it into the grass, then spray painted the colors.

"PPb" is in the middle, e=mc2 at the top, and "DCI Champs '13" at the bottom. It's quite large and he did it free-hand. I had to get a 16' ladder to snap a pic of it.

I gave him a pretty good score for design, but I dinged him in execution because the left and right tips of the crown are out of alignment. tongue.gif/>

Still, I thought it was pretty thumbup.gif/>, and it will stay in the grass for several weeks as a nice reminder.

KzTmV5L.jpg

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

Does anyone know if you can listen to the brass tape from Crown's Finals run this year? I'd LOVE to hear what that judge had to say...

It was up for a day before they took it down. Someone from the brass line leaked it (or something to that effect). The brass line wants to keep it to the brass line.