Carolina Crown 2013

I keep reading this and imagining how stunning that would have been. Talk about goosebumps! Just seeing the body limbs mimicking was amazing enough.

By the way, my band director brother says that they likely had wireless earpieces to coordinate one arm going in and another going out between the two "pods". Anyone know how they got the timing so right?

I'm still giddy over this show. I'm still seeing things in it that I've missed all year long.

I credit both Plan9 and fsubone; Plan for the beautiful quote perfectly placed, and fsubone for imagining it at the end of the show. It's a "what if?" I'll enjoy for a long, long time.

If you watch the show on the DVD, just play 2001 at the same time for that part. I'll give all credit to Plan9 for that idea, I just rolled with it and opined on how cool it would have been at the end of the show. Bringing back the Love Poem was pretty fitting, since it tied the whole show together. It is cool though to think about what could have been done.

I think they just practiced it over and over again in order to get the timing right. I don't know if headsets are legal to be used. Although wireless mics are okay?

Will there be a podcast, dvd extra or interview charting the 2013 show from conception to final product? I'm really interested in the thinking that went into producing this great show!

Could you imagine what would have happened if they had put that in as the narration right before the guy goes through the wormhole? I think every nerd in the stands would have had a mild heart attack at the exact same time.

Bah Plan lifted that right from my earlier post!

Lol just kidding Plan. I'm sure you never saw that post. And I certainly didn't know the "wormhole" effect was coming.

And I agree with you both -- would have been an AWESOME finals push. Especially if they were able to secure the actual audio.

Am I weird to say that I actually liked Crown's percussion book? More so than Cadets and BD?

I know it wasn't clean. But to me it fit the music much better. As a brass guy... all i hear from most lines is notes notes notes. I know a lot of corps primarily write the horn book first with probably a pit outline in place along with that. It makes sense.. most the music arranged includes melody and harmony... so you would need to arrange that first before you add completely original music to arrangement of the source music. It then makes sense for the battery composer to write a score. I feel like Crown's writer really wanted to use the drums to enhance the music. Not to overpower it. Or distract from the horn book. I find Crown's complete musical arrangements much more in sync with each other than other corps. Even BD where they supposedly write everything basically at the same time? I guess that could work too... I just don't like how they choose to arrange?

I try to stay away from talking about drum lines because I could easily make a fool out of myself. But clean vs dirty I can't tell as easily as musical and fitting to the music vs ramming notes or just drumming because we can. Maybe Crown was ramming notes? I mean the horns surely were...

Drum parts are usually the only thing that is truly original music in the marching activity when the whole show itself isn't original music. I feel like some writers are trying too hard to make the drumline stand out at alltimes. Save that for the drum break. I'd rather everything be in balance. And maybe that is why Crown had decent analysis scores. That and especially in the dome... you can't hear what is clean or dirty unless you are right on top of it... because if you take a step away it gets LOST... so the box wouldn't be able to make any real call.

I'm really just getting into the world of drumlines... it's a weird one that is for sure.

Anyway.. I really loved Crown's complete product this year. I was amazed the three times I saw the show live and every time I watched a video on Fan Network or wherever. An awesome show, a deserved championship. Made a lot of history this year. Seriously awesome product. Congrats Crown, KEEP BRINGING IT!

• Like 2

Bah Plan lifted that right from my earlier post!

Lol just kidding Plan. I'm sure you never saw that post. And I certainly didn't know the "wormhole" effect was coming.

And I agree with you both -- would have been an AWESOME finals push. Especially if they were able to secure the actual audio.

Clearly you just knew what a good idea it was. Would have been cool, when the Finals DVDs come out, I'm going to give it a shot to sync those two moments together. If all else fails, it gives me a chance to watch Crown again, and watch 2001. Win/win.

Congrats on the great season by the way. I'm sure you're a very proud dad right now. :thumbup: I made sure to congratulate your daughter as well.

• Like 1

Okay folks, quick question.

Sometime in late June or early July in either this thread or one of the several "I don't understand why/what Crown is saying" someone posted a Youtube video of Glass explaining the "it could get some wind for the sailboat" through his talks with a little boy. I have been scouring DCP trying to find this video to no avail. Can anyone help me out??

I love Crown's drum book and I'm a drumline guy. There is no shame in enjoying Thom Hannum's book.

Am I weird to say that I actually liked Crown's percussion book? More so than Cadets and BD?

I know it wasn't clean. But to me it fit the music much better. As a brass guy... all i hear from most lines is notes notes notes. I know a lot of corps primarily write the horn book first with probably a pit outline in place along with that. It makes sense.. most the music arranged includes melody and harmony... so you would need to arrange that first before you add completely original music to arrangement of the source music. It then makes sense for the battery composer to write a score. I feel like Crown's writer really wanted to use the drums to enhance the music. Not to overpower it. Or distract from the horn book. I find Crown's complete musical arrangements much more in sync with each other than other corps. Even BD where they supposedly write everything basically at the same time? I guess that could work too... I just don't like how they choose to arrange?

I try to stay away from talking about drum lines because I could easily make a fool out of myself. But clean vs dirty I can't tell as easily as musical and fitting to the music vs ramming notes or just drumming because we can. Maybe Crown was ramming notes? I mean the horns surely were...

Drum parts are usually the only thing that is truly original music in the marching activity when the whole show itself isn't original music. I feel like some writers are trying too hard to make the drumline stand out at alltimes. Save that for the drum break. I'd rather everything be in balance. And maybe that is why Crown had decent analysis scores. That and especially in the dome... you can't hear what is clean or dirty unless you are right on top of it... because if you take a step away it gets LOST... so the box wouldn't be able to make any real call.

I'm really just getting into the world of drumlines... it's a weird one that is for sure.

Anyway.. I really loved Crown's complete product this year. I was amazed the three times I saw the show live and every time I watched a video on Fan Network or wherever. An awesome show, a deserved championship. Made a lot of history this year. Seriously awesome product. Congrats Crown, KEEP BRINGING IT!

• Like 1