Crossmen 2013

Ray Fallon is deep

nah, just old. I'll probably be deep in the next few years or so - about 6' deep.

Just the first time I've been excited about a corps in a while.

Plus the '60s were my time, and as a Viet Nam Vet the Protest symbolism resonates, which I think is the point of doing a show like this.

Can't just be to have kids running with signs or we would just remember Suncoast '84.

• Like 1

If anyone is wondering about the Crossmen step-off time for Friday's show, it has been posted at DCI's site for the show.

Cincinnati Tradition 7:30pm ET

Troopers 7:47pm

Crossmen 8:04pm

Spirit of Atlanta 8:21pm

The Cavaliers 8:38pm

Bluecoats 8:55pm

Read more: http://www.dci.org/schedule/detail.cfm?event=1f34e416-9557-4af7-a9bd-35f7457c9123#ixzz2WhJ6yOL5

Hopefully, in this social media age, we'll see some tweeting and messages getting people's reactions to the show. Maybe we'll have the scores at 10PM, give or take.

Sunset is 9:04PM, BTW. That means all the corps will be stepping off in daylight.

Rumor has it there will be no scores until after the movie cast on mon

Rumor has it there will be no scores until after the movie cast on mon

I've read elsewhere that the Akron scores will be the only ones withheld.

this is not what your signature says! imposter!

:tongue:/>

I guess I need to update it. Should be fixed

As a big fan of Crossmen since 92, I was super happy when they made finals last year. Can someone who has seen them tell me why they are scoring so low when I was expecting a lot more. I thought they would be competitive with Spirit and now it looks like it will be a struggle just to finish 12th. I know it's early still but the trend out of the gate does not look good.

As a big fan of Crossmen since 92, I was super happy when they made finals last year. Can someone who has seen them tell me why they are scoring so low when I was expecting a lot more. I thought they would be competitive with Spirit and now it looks like it will be a struggle just to finish 12th. I know it's early still but the trend out of the gate does not look good.

Okay, I'll try to be as forthcoming as possible.

I was also someone whose expectations were higher, but I'm realizing now that I probably hyped myself into it.

While this year's corps has a decent number of vets--60 according to a Fred Morrison podcast--it also has some rookies. I think the corps is very talented musically, but I think they are still acclimating to the drill. So there is a lot of room for improvement there as tour goes on and they become more and more comfortable. I think the level of musicianship on the field will rise simultaneously.

I also think it's a show whose general effect will rise with performance level. It's a theme that works best when it is being sold. By it's nature, a theme called "Protest" requires a performance with tthe intensity of a real-life protester to work really well. That should come.

In terms of design, I believe the basics of the show are there, but I'm expecting more layers to be added and a few re-writes. If I were to guess, the ending may change and the drum solo will become more complex visually.

Overall, I think I forgot that the corps didn't arrive fully formed last season. They languished in the 62's for the first five shows and were in about 15th place. They are already ahead of that. So, I think the trend looks good.

I'm also realizing that in 21st Century drum corps it's just not easy any more to make big jumps in ranking within the top 12.

Seeing the corps on the field in Bowling Green made me more optimistic than just reading the scores online. We were sitting with some drum corps newbies and some experienced fans. Everyone liked the show, particularly the newbies.