Sponsor Board

Just out of curiosity, does anyone actually use that forum? Let alone know about it? I went into it to see that the posts had hundreds on views and I wanted to know what the probability was that current marchers actually got a sponsorship for DCP members.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone actually use that forum? Let alone know about it? I went into it to see that the posts had hundreds on views and I wanted to know what the probability was that current marchers actually got a sponsorship for DCP members.

Given the choice between feeding a starving child in Ethiopia and sending a middle to upper middle class, collge educated young person to summer marching band, the marching band will lose out every time.

It can't hurt to have a good quality post on he sponsor board just in case. But I prefer to be asked and to make connections with people that way rather than have members expect me to hunt down a post on a message board.

Given the choice between feeding a starving child in Ethiopia and sending a middle to upper middle class, collge educated young person to summer marching band, the marching band will lose out every time.

While this cynical viewpoint may have some validity, the fact is that drum corps teaches those rich, spoiled, educated young people that the world doesn't revolve around them.

This training will likely benefit the starving kids of Ethiopia when those successful drum corps vets reach a cushy, sucessful adult-hood and consider what worldly programs they should support.

Furthermore, feeding hungry Ethiopian kids does nothing to change the governing class that has kept those Ethiopian families from rising out of poverty and supporting themselves. I, personally, would rather support a system that rewards the hard work and well-rounded viewpoint needed to make a true impact on the world. Drum corps does that.

• Like 5

but it doesn't lose out, because lots of people sponsor (partially, I don't think lots of people cover the entire cost) kids to march every year.

Personally, I would rather donate to drum corps than starving Ethiopians, because drum corps gives me more entertainment and I can see the results.

• Like 1

Given the choice between feeding a starving child in Ethiopia and sending a middle to upper middle class, college educated young person to summer marching band, the marching band will lose out every time.

This is a fallacious argument of Equivocation. The reasons to support the health and welfare of the kids in Ethiopia are vastly different from the reasons to support things like the arts. Moreover, for the posting of VOReason to even be considered as observably valid very few, if any, donors around the world would be supporting non profits such as Symphonies and Operas while in turn donating the majority, if not all, of their money just to charities like those which help starving kids in Ethiopia.

PS - Most of us at some point also use a similar fallacious argument as adults or children:

Mom: "There are starving children in Ethiopia; eat your creamed spinach."

VOPreason: "Here is an envelope with enough stamps to get it to Ethiopia!"

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Can't speak for the last couple of years, but prior to that, yes, it has helped (in a small way) some marchers. We set it up as a "can't hurt" option, and an easy way to hook up DCP members who might want to help and marchers who might need help.

Mike

It's always to good to get in touch with alumni and talk to some of last year's ageouts to see if they had sponsors and if those sponsors are interesting in continuing this year.