Glassmen have an opportunity to reinvent the way things are done

Baja: Either you are trolling or you have not a clue concerning the huge commitments and business/management expertise required to operate a rather large 'Corporation' such as the Glassmen. We are not discussing a local pee-wee baseball team consisting of neighborhood kids laughing about learning how to throw a ball and volunteer parents who do not know much more than the kids, but a nationally touring 'Corporate Entity' with well experienced performers and highly trained staff. Many on the staff put in 20, 30, 40, 50, 60+ hours in each week to maintain that 'Corporation'; and those professionals deserve just monetary compensation for their time/expertise. My guess is that your deeper issue is the idea that DCI and it's corps have become so top-end specialized the activity now 'requires' paid professionals, and that is your real beef.

No I seldom make posts or comments, mostly I like to post pictures on the "old drum corps photos" thread. The rather larger corporation you describe such as the Glassmen had 2 or 3 adminstrative folks. They probably did work 40- 60 hours on average per week. When tour came around, the staff probably amounted to 20-40 people working around the clock. But for only a week or two and then others took their place. It is up to those "professionals' whether or not theyn get paid. My expectations are that many would not work for free, but there are those that would.

It is true that DCI and it's corps have become so top-end specialized that the activity requires paid professionals. I am throwing out the idea that it may be time to change. Drum corps has evolved over time primarily due to the increasing costs. We now have shorter and shorter seasons, different touring models, musical instruments that are less specialized.

My expectations are that many would not work for free, but there are those that would.

Generally speaking, the people willing to do a job for free aren't the people you want doing the job.

At the DCI World Class level, I don't want volunteer drivers. I want paid professionals. I don't want volunteer staff members, I want professional educators. For Open Class and smaller corps, I get it. The volunteer model can work, at least partially. But at the World Class level? Not a chance.

• Like 4

I don't have the answer but this does go back to my post in the other glassmen topic about too many corps try or feel like they have to be and run like the blue devils or the cadets. Why is it this way? Has the competition side of things forced corps to push harder for things beyond their means and then they fold? It's gonna keep happening until we figure something out. This activity should NOT be about scoring the highest or playing on the newest equipment every year although I'm afraid it is

I don't have the answer but this does go back to my post in the other glassmen topic about too many corps try or feel like they have to be and run like the blue devils or the cadets. Why is it this way? Has the competition side of things forced corps to push harder for things beyond their means and then they fold? It's gonna keep happening until we figure something out. This activity should NOT be about scoring the highest or playing on the newest equipment every year although I'm afraid it is

This activity should absolutely be about scoring the highest, so long as it's a competitively-based activity (which it was when it was founded and continues today).

So long as judges overly reward "new", and "avante guard", and the "artiste" staffs, the corps with the most toys wins, and the more corps will go bankrupt trying to acquire the toys of the leaders.

Makes a good case for the stratification of classes, doesn't it?

• Like 1

Generally speaking, the people willing to do a job for free aren't the people you want doing the job.

At the DCI World Class level, I don't want volunteer drivers. I want paid professionals. I don't want volunteer staff members, I want professional educators. For Open Class and smaller corps, I get it. The volunteer model can work, at least partially. But at the World Class level? Not a chance.

Agree, but there are certainly exceptions to that rule. Consider all walks of life where professionals donate their services for the good of others; doctors, attorneys, law enforcement, dentist, auto mechanics... the list goes on.

... It is true that DCI and it's corps have become so top-end specialized that the activity requires paid professionals. I am throwing out the idea that it may be time to change...

Thank you! We now have your 'real' underlying reason!

• Like 1

Please see the 'real' reason behind the posting of Baja; he finally admitted that he has a problem with DCI engaging at the top world class level which requires professionals to be paid.

• Like 1

The best way to elevate the level of pay to artsy people is definately NOT to ask them to work for free.

Not sure I understand this comment.

It means that it sounds like you are taking advantage of creative industries, like many do. I'm reminded of a freelance writer (or photographer, can't remember) who was asked by their client "Hey will you come up with this brief for me? I'll pay you!" The joke was that you wouldn't tell that to your plumber. Of course you would pay, they're providing a service!