Hardest Hornline Books

Like someone said in an earlier post…there are many things that make a piece difficult.

But on that note here is part of communication I had with Bertrand Moren who is the Composer of the “Dreams” piece Crown did in 2012……………he responded with ”I was absolutely impressed by the very high quality of the players of the Carolina Crown. The brass and percussion sections are absolutely fantastic !!!! We played the piece "Dreams" a lot of times here, and it was already difficult to play it when sitting on a chair in a concert. Carolina Crown play it during making a so great show, so I think it is absolutely fantastic !”.

Edited by splat-a-drag-a-phonium

1988 Blue Devil is also a very hard brass book.

1988 BD is in my top 10 most entertaining shows of all time but, not most difficult!

I thought Crown 2012 were the greatest DCI Brass Line ever. For me they sounded just about perfect.... big, bold and beautiful.

Their inability to sound that way on the move really put me off.

And that really intrigues me. Why do brass players only rate other lines on just their sound? Drummers don't go gaga for how great a drumline tunes their drums; they go crazy for cleanliness. Why isn't clarity ever a huge talking point in the brass posts?

• Like 6

My criteria is a defined as a single tune, lots of notes in at least two voices, playing it up tempo, and playing it clean.

Therefore, being a dumb drummer, I will expose my lack of knowledge in all things brass and declare Rocky Point Holiday (Cadets 1982 and 1983) as one of the top ten most difficult horn books ever.

Edit: Those of you who are much smarter than me on such things, please feel free to critique my choice and educate me on why or why not RPH is a worthy choice in the category of "hardest brass books."

Edited by wvu80

I don't know how hard the books are, but Phantoms 89 - 96 shows (I'm sure you know these Boo :winky:/> ) always impressed me with the clarity in their articulation, when they play like that, you can feel it stab you in the chest, kinda like when a snare lines roll will lock, it just pops so much more than a bunch of dirty players. You can tell EXACTLY what they're playing.

Edited by DrumManTx