Changes Made Only For Finals..

So with most of us only having Finals videos/DVDs, I am curious, have there ever been changes implemented just for the sake of Finals? One that comes to mind is PR 2011 with her committing suicide (Though you would never know it based on the DVD). However, was for example Garfield 1987 playing off the field just added on Finals night? Was BD's 88 exit also added on Finals?

Edited by ohbaby

So with most of us only having Finals videos/DVDs, I am curious, have there ever been changes implemented just for the sake of Finals? One that comes to mind is PR 2011 with her committing suicide (Though you would never know it based on the DVD). However, was for example Garfield 1987 playing off the field just added on Finals night? Was BD's 88 exit also added on Finals?

cadets 05, girl comes out as a judge.

pr 03 (although it was quarers and semis as well, they resolved the chord at the end), 06, they had the demons take someone else

blue devils 04, they 'trained' out of the stadium

i feel like there's a lot more

The Velvet Knights Shark (1994 (?)) comes to mind.

Also Bayonne collapse (1976) and Football Game (1980).

Both the Cadets and BD examples were being done that way weeks before Finals. The camera op was missed in 2011 because the crew didn't know that was going to happen. I've seen Tom Blair's flow charts for every segment of a show, and they are remarkably extensive. They were just caught off guard on that one because they weren't told about it.

The Velvet Knights Shark (1994 (?)) comes to mind.

Also Bayonne collapse (1976) and Football Game (1980).

The football game was supposed to be a lot more pronounced during the corps' warm-up. I knew about it ahead of time because I was at their rehearsal. The horns were playing the University of Alabama fight song (the World Championships was held in Birmingham) for the warm-up and that would have really riled up the local audience. Unfortunately, the corps was announced just at the beginning of the football game and the audience welcoming response was so big, very few realized the horns were playing the fight song.

The VK shark was in 1992. The corps was staying at a high school down south a few days before getting into Madison, (I want to say it was for the Sevierville, TN show, but it might have been for DCI South in Jackson), when the instructors spotted the shark prop in the band room. They inquired about it and the band director explained it was for a show the band had done the previous fall and if they would take it off his hands, they could have it...as long as they didn't ever bring it back.

I think it was 1992 in Madison that Phantom Regiment had their phans bring streamers for Finals, and had them toss them off the top deck of the stadium at the end of the show, helping support the fireworks streamers on the field. (I'm not positive about this and don't have the time at the moment to check out the DVD. Someone please correct me if it was a different year the corps did 1812, which would include 1983 in Miami and 1984 in Atlanta.)

2007 Bluecoats the person running away with the case is wearing an old uniform as opposed to the regular guard uniform at the end of the show.

I thought I remembered the commentators saying on the PBS Broadcast of 1978 that Santa Clara added a reprise of "The Bottle Dance" for finals. I know I saw them earlier that season but I don't remember "The Bottle Dance" in the show and do recall being surprised when I saw it on TV. Now this broadcast would have had Pete Emmons as the authority who all but said his own corps SCV probably wouldn't win that night. It also had Gene Rayburn and his lovely wife who no doubt loved what they saw but didn't know much about it and said all kinds of incorrect comments, so it may have been said but it may not have been correct. Does anyone know?

I think it was 1992 in Madison that Phantom Regiment had their phans bring streamers for Finals, and had them toss them off the top deck of the stadium at the end of the show, helping support the fireworks streamers on the field. (I'm not positive about this and don't have the time at the moment to check out the DVD. Someone please correct me if it was a different year the corps did 1812, which would include 1983 in Miami and 1984 in Atlanta.)

1983 PR added the kabukis the afternoon of finals! Had to work on them inside so noone saw (or it was raining?) lol

I thought I remembered the commentators saying on the PBS Broadcast of 1978 that Santa Clara added a reprise of "The Bottle Dance" for finals. I know I saw them earlier that season but I don't remember "The Bottle Dance" in the show and do recall being surprised when I saw it on TV. Now this broadcast would have had Pete Emmons as the authority who all but said his own corps SCV probably wouldn't win that night. It also had Gene Rayburn and his lovely wife who no doubt loved what they saw but didn't know much about it and said all kinds of incorrect comments, so it may have been said but it may not have been correct. Does anyone know?

That happened in Montreal in 1982. The crowd was so stoked that they screamed loud enough the horns on each side couldn't hear the horns on the other side. There was also a circumstance regarding the drum major count-off that has been mentioned on DCP a couple times. On the recording, the sides finished about an entire count apart.