"G7" v. "The Rest"

197 members have voted

1. 1. If the G7 and "The Rest" of DCI split who will you continue to support financially and emotionally?

• G7
    • The Rest
    • Opt out of the activity
    • Both

why not? if someone thinks that a corps is trying to hurt DCI, should they be cheered?

The KIDS aren't. They are performing music and doing drill not for control of DCI but for the fans of drum corps. That performance has nothing to do with politics. Don't buy souvies but cheer the kids. If you can't make that distinction than..... We won't get along... And your very wrong.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

The KIDS aren't. They are performing music and doing drill not for control of DCI but for the fans of drum corps. That performance has nothing to do with politics. Don't buy souvies but cheer the kids. If you can't make that distinction than..... We won't get along... And your very wrong.

Interesting conundrum you have set up for as audience members in that... it is apparently fine to you if Hopkins and Gibbs use the kids in presenting and communicating 'their own philosophical beliefs' (ie The Outhouse Zone or Dada reflected in a Mirror) but we as the audience cannot communicate back to Hopkins and Gibbs through those same kids.

• Like 6

Interesting conundrum you have set up for as audience members in that... it is apparently fine to you if Hopkins and Gibbs use the kids in presenting and communicating 'their own philosophical beliefs' (ie The Outhouse Zone or Dada reflected in a Mirror) but we as the audience cannot communicate back to Hopkins and Gibbs through those same kids.

Using the kids to Communicate their Philosophical beliefs?! This a joke right!? Did you march in a drum corps? And when you did, did you feel you were being used as a mouth piece for the director?

• Like 2

Using the kids to Communicate their Philosophical beliefs?! This a joke right!? Did you march in a drum corps? And when you did, did you feel you were being used as a mouth piece for the director?

This is not a joke; I spoke with many Cadet kids out on tour from 2005 - 2oo8, as well as BD kids out on tour 2008, 2010, and 2012 who marched those very esoteric shows and none of them ever asked, "When is crowd going to stop booing us?"; but many did ask, "When is the staff going to stop designing crowd booing shows?". This indicates that they were fully aware that the 'show concepts' being pushed by Hopkins or Gibbs were being booed not them as performers.

• Like 3

This indicates that they were fully aware that the 'show concepts' being pushed by Hopkins or Gibbs were being booed not them as performers.

I support the 150 marching members per unit. When I think of the corps, I think of them. I can only assume that the majority are not involved in the argument/debate and should therefor not be punished nor scrutinized for choosing to march in one of the corps that makes up the G7.

• Like 2

This is not a joke; I spoke with many Cadet kids out on tour from 2005 - 2oo8, as well as BD kids out on tour 2008, 2010, and 2012 who marched those very esoteric shows and none of them ever asked, "When is crowd going to stop booing us?"; but many did ask, "When is the staff going to stop designing crowd booing shows?". This indicates that they were fully aware that the 'show concepts' being pushed by Hopkins or Gibbs were being booed not them as performers.

This argument does not hold water with me. I have my own personal experiences which I don't want to go into detail but I know that people who boo during shows are the most disrespectful and selfish people in our activity. No amount of booing makes the experience of the marchers better as they have no control. You've just proved my point that booing frustrates the marchers and makes their abilities and hard work for naught.

Plus your talking about Show Design not behind the scene political leanings which is frankly different. Either way booing is not how you show your frustration about staff. For 11:30 minutes it's about communicating your appreciation for students. The rest if the time can be about your need to tell Gibbs what you think.

• Like 1

Maybe the KIDS should stop spending their membership fees on corps that don't have the KIDS best interest as a priority. Maybe directors will realize that their actions cause the members to be booed.

• Like 1

Maybe the KIDS should stop spending their membership fees on corps that don't have the KIDS best interest as a priority. Maybe directors will realize that their actions cause the members to be booed.

If you don't think the directors of the top corps don't have the members' best interests in mind, you clearly have no idea how those corps are run. At all.

• Like 1

Which side would you choose?

I wouldn't pick one over the other. One of the most enjoyable events last year was seeing the open class corps in Indy. There's some talent there! Taking nothing away from either the best of World Class, or the very entertaining shows of many of our open class corps - I'd be hard pressed to have to take one over the other. For 2013, I'll be in both Michigan City for open class and Indy for everybody.

I am a fan of drum corps!

edited to correct my doggone typos!

Edited by drumcorpsfever

This whole mentality of "I'm going home and I'm taking my ball with me" towards supporting the G7 is absolutely childish. If you like a corps and what they put on that field, support them. Who in their right minds would be willing to go up to one of the hardworking individuals at a G7 corps and say "I don't care how hard you worked or the level of excellence you are achieving. I refuse to support you"? I have friends on both sides of the fence here. If need be, I will be going to both set of shows. BOTH will be getting my money.

do you support all the hardworking politicians, or just the ones that are working towards the causes you support?

just curious...