"G7" v. "The Rest"

197 members have voted

1. 1. If the G7 and "The Rest" of DCI split who will you continue to support financially and emotionally?

• G7
    • The Rest
    • Opt out of the activity
    • Both

Wow I support every corps, defend every marching member and some lowlife goes on negative rampage... What has happened to DCP?

Well calling people lowlifes does tend to #### 'em off......

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

So the original question really had nothing to do with cheering and or booing for shows. (side note: I hate booing at DCI. I show my displeasure through silence) The original question was more along the lines of financial support. For instance, if they split and there is a DCI fanpass and a MiM fanpass where would you send your money. If you don't to DCI (highly unlikely) do you continue or do you switch your support to MiM or do you split it 50/50. I really don't care who you cheer for because cheering doesn't pay the bills and keep organizations a float. Where is your money going?

Although the kids have nothing to do with this question, I ask you to consider the NW where maybe each year one top corps may make the trip out here and its always in late June, early July when the shows are never polished. If all there was left is the G7, drum corps would die in the NW. Thats for sure.

Considering the audiences of these shows are 50+% alumni of different corps (many of which have dissapeared long ago) there may not be enough fan base to sustain the G7. Just my hunch, but they would still not come out here to the NW. So, this would definately be the end of all drum corps within 10 years if they split off. Maybe not even that long.

All we would see are shows like Blast. Its fun to see, but reliving the old standards can only last so long. I certainly hope the G7 can truely investigate this with research and not just this is what I think.

Knowing those involved, its all about egos, not much else.

For those who truly love the activity (I have for 36 plus years), to support the "G7" who seemingly want to cause disunity and discord per Mr. Hopkins January 9, 2013 letter would exhibit disregard for the other 30 plus World Class and Open Class corps who are working hard to have the activity thrive.

I agree, and since Mr. Hopkins ##################, I support your conclusions even more.

Edited by JohnZ
filter circumvention - member suspended
  • Like 2

After my initial confliction and a considerable amount of thought on the matter, I've decided that I won't give them (the G7) any more of my money (I do have shirts for PR, SCV, Bluecoats, and Crown already), but I will still watch the shows since I want to appreciate what they put on the field while I still can. Politics or not, I'm not going to miss my first chance to see Crown live.

I also had some amount of concern over the new wave of supporting non-G7 corps (and that they're even referred to that way) because in some cases it felt like a matter of politics rather than supporting the corps for everything else they do. However, any kind of increase in support for corps is not ultimately a bad thing. If the G7 do end up leaving, all the others will need all the support they can get (they do right now as well, but still).

I only really got into drum corps a little over a year ago, and 2012 was my rookie season, so I'm still rather new to DCI, and I'm still figuring some things out. I'll most likely be buying shirts, or some other form of merch, from the non-G7 (though I didn't think in that frame of reference at the time) corps that I admittedly passed over at CA shows last season. This is a really interesting (one word for it) time to be new to the activity.

Lol! I didn't decide what corps I wanted to be in based on DCP... No one does... And you didn't either.

And to think that kids in Cadets or BD DESERVE the animosity of ppl more than kids in Crossmen or Pio is borderline insanity. How can anyone say that with a straight face! People who think like you hurt the activity IMO.

Cadets weren't saying that when they were out of Finals.

Crown wasn't saying that when they were in Div II.

Need I continue?

The LIFEBLOOD of this activity is in the ability to enter, sustain, and move UP the ladder!

Take away the ladder and you cripple the activity, PERMANENTLY...!

Is this so hard to understand?

• Like 7

I support corps through buying souvenirs, contributing to fuel funds, etc. and would probably do so at a DCI show or G7 show if it ever happened. As far as donating to a corps, I believe that it is important to support local corps first so if I am going to make a more significant financial contribution which I do, it would be to BAC, Spartans, and 7th Regiment--all wonderful organizations near my home and deserving of support. My guess is that I'd support BAC even of they were part of the G7 due both to locality and a belief in what BAC stands for and has for many years, which is why there is a G7 and not a G8.

If I were to live in a region that did not have a drum corps, I would probably contribute to a corps that shares my values. I'd want a family atmosphere that nurtures its members. I'd want a corps that has a strong local commitment (even though most BAC members hail from out of state, the corps is still Boston through and through and plays a significant role in our area). I'd want a corps that tries to instill what drum corps is all about and while I'd love to see the corps be a contender, placement would not be as important as the experience (the corps of course would feel differently). So my contributions would probably go` to a corps like Colts/Colts Cadets, Cascades, Pioneer, Pacific Crest or Mandarins.

• Like 3

Cadets weren't saying that when they were out of Finals.

Crown wasn't saying that when they were in Div II.

Need I continue?

The LIFEBLOOD of this activity is in the ability to enter, sustain, and move UP the ladder!

Take away the ladder and you cripple the activity, PERMANENTLY...!

Is this so hard to understand?

G7 are not taking away the ladder. During the time where Cadets were out of finals a lot of corps dropped off the ladder all together! And now, without any major changes from the G7 implemented they are still falling off that ladder (GMen, Teal) what's really crippling the activity isn't a G7 threat or Proposal it's DCI not making itself accountable to its members corps. No safety net or preservation/prevention strategies for corps with poor management and financial instability. I'd like that conversation to be discussed... Instead if worrying about who the next champion is lets worry about who the next to run into trouble will be and see what can be done. These Januals are usually focused around rule changes etc. but I think thanks to the G7 push it will be about more serious matters.

• Like 1

Lol! I didn't decide what corps I wanted to be in based on DCP... No one does... And you didn't either.

And to think that kids in Cadets or BD DESERVE the animosity of ppl more than kids in Crossmen or Pio is borderline insanity. How can anyone say that with a straight face! People who think like you hurt the activity IMO.

ah yes, the people that want DCI to stay together are the ones that are hurting it. The people they want to break DCI in half? no, of course they are not hurting it...