Drumline Battle and SoundSport

I think this is cool! gets more people into this type of activity! i dont want to see this turning drum corps into something different tho... this is opening the door for other ensembles, not opening the door to change drum corps... can we just leave it at that? i think we would all enjoy that

• Like 1

There's much I don't know about this yet, but I'm thinking more along the possibilities of what we saw at the end of the movie "Drumline" than what WGI is already doing with full competitive marching winter percussion ensembles. My understanding is this is not going to tread where WGI already is. There's a lot of stuff out there that hasn't been developed to its full potential and John's on to something here.

When I googled Thailand Drum Contest it looked just like WGI. So if that's the idea...

• Like 1

I wonder if this will be sanctioned at local TEP shows.

Can I get a competition at Dublin? What, before the corps show?

It's brilliant to get kids to the stadium to support their local drumline.

(I smell Bob Jacobs' fingers all over this. :thumbup:/>/> )

EDIT: It could be this is all DeNovi's doing, so I don't want to take anything away from him if it is. :thumbup:/> to him, too. Heck, :thumbup:/> to everyone who got this up and running!

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

When I googled Thailand Drum Contest it looked just like WGI. So if that's the idea...

I should have been more specific. There are drum battles much more like the ending of the movie "Drumline."

I find it funny to see all the "meh" comments, when this is what DCI should have been promoting the moment Blast! opened. But hey, better late than never.

If you want small town drum corps to come back the way it was 50 years ago, forget it. It's not going to happen, because the marching bands have stepped up their game. THIS, on the other hand, offers a performance opportunity for those who don't have a ton of money but still want to have a competitive format that involves movement and music and has a connection with DCI. It's a VERY good development for the future of the activity.

• Like 7

I'm having a very hard time coming up with any criticism of the concepts here.

Scaling back ensemble size: Good thing

Scaling back venue size: Good thing

Leveraging new technology (The interwebs) to reach a wider audience AND reduce travel needed for groups to compete: Good thing

Delivering shorter, more focused products: Good thing

Also confirmed: No age restrictions. VERY interesting.

Edited by ScoutMello
  • Like 3

Don't they already do this, though, at least for Winter Percussion? From the release this looks to be branded/supported by DCI and will be year-round but is that the only difference? In any case, think it could be exciting. How soon before they add color guard as well and take on WGI do you think?

No grounded equip. 2 to 31 members. Routine under 2 minutes. 12 yards X 12 yards. All ages.

Doesn't resemble WGI percussion much at all.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

Will this be a DCI-named competition, or will it be totally run under the Drumline Battle and SoundSport names? Actually makes a difference as to how it could be presented.

I'm all for battery-only battles. Bring on some old-school notes. :) Especially if you could set up battles via video - how about a Korean drumline vs. an old-school alumni-corps style line vs. a WGI-esque ensemble vs. ...

As for an "all age" SoundSport, you might as well ask Star United if they plan on doing it, so if need be we can get the trophy engraved early.

Mike