Empire and SoundSport

...or they 'field' multiple performance groups.

Perhaps Empire could have a junior group and an all-age group? Or stay completely all-age and do A Group and B Group?

so is it your opinion that the soundsport will not work?,...........not a shot, seriously asking,.......

No, I think it can work, but I think it has to be done in conjunction with other DCI/DCA events in order for it to work. I just don't see an all mini-ish corps size competition or performance based circuit drawing a lot of crowds to be able to sustain itself.

No, I think it can work, but I think it has to be done in conjunction with other DCI/DCA events in order for it to work. I just don't see an all mini-ish corps size competition or performance based circuit drawing a lot of crowds to be able to sustain itself.

The thing is, it's not designed to be focused here in the US. Any US based groups that they get are bonus. This is really an international activity.

really?,..........I must have missed that,....

From the presss release:

“With a rapidly growing, passionate, informed, talented and engaged fan base throughout the world, and strategic alliances already in place with marching music associations in China, Hong Kong, Japan, Indonesia, Korea and Thailand, new opportunities are developing at a breathtaking pace,” said DeNovi. “Combined with the existing awareness and presence of the drum corps activity throughout Europe, Asia, South Africa, South America and beyond, our goal is to create another avenue to unite the world through music and performance, to promote teamwork and the pursuit of excellence, and to have a heck of a lot of fun in the process.”

Drum Corps International Executive Director and CEO Dan Acheson echoes DeNovi’s enthusiasm.

“We want to expose the largest possible global audience to the greatest attributes of what we have come to know as the DCI experience. The levels of excellence achieved by our touring groups are truly remarkable, however the financial and practical costs, related learning curve and inherent startup risks associated with our existing business model make it difficult for us to bring new ensembles into our world as participants,” said Acheson. “Through the creation of these two extremely exciting initiatives, we intend to vastly expand our footprint and aggressively pursue opportunities to engage more people in appealing new ways.”

Acheson continued, “While serving the groups which comprise our collective fraternity will undoubtedly remain our primary day-to-day responsibility, the potential created by the addition of DrumLine Battle™ and SoundSport® to our portfolio is staggering. The possibilities for successfully extending our reach to introduce an enormous number of new people around the world to what we do are electrifying.”

Kinda hard to miss, but I think the real purpose of this is to tap an untapped market for additional revenue. Expecting that American audiences are going to pay to see an aboriginal pygmie mandolin and steel drum ensemble going up against Edge, to me is a bit of a stretch. But Europeans would pay to see most anything.

• Like 1

DCA never "really" embraced the mini corps idea anyway. It is only a part of the Friday night social activities. I

DA

Edited by nngs9

DCA never "really" embraced the mini corps idea anyway. It is only a part of the Friday night social activities. I

DA

I think mini corps dropped a few balls too. way too much drama in some cases, and the programs never really seemed to go out there and be different from a small drum corps on a stage, some moving, some not.

• Like 1

Believe me Jeff...we tried to get some consistency within the way we would be judged and sheets, etc., but we were turned away. The company line was that it was part of the Friday night festivities, and that is all they wanted it to be. No one can truthfully deny that wqas the case.

Kevin Hassan, on the other hand has been approachable in this regard. He has listened to these concerns, and may be able to do something about it.

Don Mercurio, I have no idea what you are talking about.

DA