More SoundSport and DrumLine Battle details released

While at first I was skeptical, the battle idea is growing on me. Most urban areas already have drumline competitions, the there is WGI......but this is different. I'm kinda excited to see what people "bring" to the battle ground. I'm even thinking about starting something myself. You could literally put something together pretty quickly and get out there. I think almost any existing drumline could whip up a battle plan and fire a few rounds in their spare time, then go back to DCI or WGI or School without missing a beat.

I agree with many in saying Sound Sport and Drum Line will not encroach in any way with what WGI is already doing.

If WGI had wanted to add something like either of these activities, they've had plenty of time to get around to it.

Also, although cooperation between the 'major marching-arts orgs' is nice, nobody has any obligation to consult with all the orgs to partner/make sure they're on board/etc with new program offerings. This is a proposal of two activities that would further support the marching-arts. It doesn't need everybody in the industry's sign-off before launching.

If WGI wanted 'all instruments in a gym' or a drumline battle, they'd had more than a few years to do something about it. And, like others have suggested, as nice as the 'global and national' view of this is, this gets off the ground if its supported 'locally'.

Now that I've had a minute to wrap my head around it, I'm pretty excited by the 'blank slate' aspect that both present.

Anything that gets more people moving with an instrument in their hand is good in my book. Anything else is short-sighted or 'protectionist'.

• Like 1

Sometimes I'm amazed by your Imagined expertise in every subject.

Fixed that for you Mr. Boo...

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 5

I think almost any existing drumline could whip up a battle plan and fire a few rounds in their spare time, then go back to DCI or WGI or School without missing a beat.

I think this was their plan all along, and it's a brilliant stroke.

Mike

• Like 1

When WGI was formed, I thought it was a great move and I didn't think it was encroaching on DCI's domain, even though DCI had a summer guard championship at the World Championships. When WGI, which was solely a guard organization, decided to expand into marching percussion, I thought that was a great move and I didn't think it was encroaching on DCI's domain, even though DCI had several years of running shows that just happened to include percussion, while WGI was all about rifles, flags and sabres.

Don't forget at the time there was a BOA-style winter percussion Championship, as well as a huge PAS winter percussion championship before WGI formed. WGI essentially eliminated the BOA thing (this was before BOA was called BOA, if I remember correctly), and the PAS thing is still cool but now only really relevant to a few college programs.

WGI is the apex of the indoor activity, as DCI is to outdoor. it's not everything. Hell, there are indoor circuits out there that still use their own sheets and not the WGi sheets

EXACTLY!

Here in Southern CA, we have two huge local winter percussion circuits (and a third not-so-huge one): one of them us aligned with WGI, the other has their own sheets. The one aligned with WGI is where the big-time contenders (and those wanting to compete with the contenders) compete, and annually seemingly populate the ranks of WGI finalists & medalists: Pulse Percussion, RCC, Mission Viejo, Ayala, Chino Hills, and many others.

The other circuit, is typically made up of either newer lines looking to get some experience under their belts before committing to the finances of competing on the national scale, or for lines with smaller budgets & staff who still want a place to compete and develop over the winter, but don't want to go "all-in" with the WGI big boys. If you were to combine the two circuits, there would be no way logistically to hold any competitions or a circuit Finals: there would literally be hundreds of units (if you combine the two So CA EASILY has the most competitive units per-capita than any other STATE). Each circuit serves a fairly specific (and large) group of people, and each circuit does pretty well for themselves.

I see this new DCI venture as having a similar relationship with WGI: same but drastically different. They can BOTH thrive & grow (or in WGI's case, continue to grow past the bulging seams it already has), both offer incredible performance opportunities for members, and both entertain the hell out of crowds.