More SoundSport and DrumLine Battle details released

You know, most of you look at this as a fan, and I do, too. But I also look at that from a show sponsor's standpoint and my initial inclination was not about starting a group or going and talking to bands in the area, I'm thinking about how to stage it to get its maximum impact at our show and get a bazillion kids to buy student tickets to watch their friends.

We're in central Ohio, I've got plenty of music contacts (even though that's not my day job). It's not too late to get this up and running long enough for the kids to group, find music, practice and be proud of it by July. But, where to start? (Like I have time to do this!) What are the first three things I have to do to make this a hit for my show. We've got a good line-up of corps, and we've got several drumlines that do Dayton.

I can get my hands on a dozen volunteers, businessmen and music people, to get on board and propel the idea. I have time to do this once. Our show is the end of July.

Think like a TEP and tell me...

What do you do?

well the key is how to tie this into the show.

is it pre show entertainment? that's tough because way too many people hang in the lot til "names" go on.

do you do it between corps? one of the biggest complaints I saw about TOC shows and their "extras" was there was never a time to get up, go to the bathroom, get food etc.

before retreat? With retreat now being DM's only, and with people being able to log on and get scores, more and more people bail. ( tho I did just notice DCI's mobile site isn't working).

well the key is how to tie this into the show.

is it pre show entertainment? that's tough because way too many people hang in the lot til "names" go on.

do you do it between corps? one of the biggest complaints I saw about TOC shows and their "extras" was there was never a time to get up, go to the bathroom, get food etc.

before retreat? With retreat now being DM's only, and with people being able to log on and get scores, more and more people bail. ( tho I did just notice DCI's mobile site isn't working).

It's possible if SoundSport & DrumLine Battle are done in an exciting, entertaining fashion it will change the culture of fans attending shows. If there was cool entertainment before a show, maybe people would come in earlier to watch stuff, then stick around inside & buy concessions. If we're talking SoundSport & DrumLine groups attracting their friends to see them perform, then those people will be in the stadium to see their friends perform: if that's the true goal of this stuff, to bring in new fans, this might be the 'gateway' to getting people interested in drum corps.

How to stage it? I would maybe try to do groups at intermission, maybe before the event as a "pre show" to get the crowd warmed-up? With really short interval times, and minimal setup/tear down for the groups (at least the Drumline thing) it could be easy to put it in during show gaps. Obviously it will depend on how many groups want to do it for your show, but I would think about putting them before show, intermission and/or after the last corps before awards.

Intermission I think would be a poor choice because (1) it'd cut down on concession/merch sales if there's a distraction; and (2) if you want to feature these groups as something real and interesting on its own, don't put them in the sideshow slot. Also, for myself, as a ticket buyer, I want a break, please.

Maybe start the show with it. Or make it the first thing after intermission (if DCI allows any such thing) to ensure more people see it. Assuming you'll have just a few groups competing, it'd just be like adding another corps to the show. You could still treat it like intermission if you must, but give folks a chance to take a break *and* buy stuff *and* see these new activities in action.

• Like 1

several local circuits had indoor percussion before WGI did. I'm not sure when TIA or CBA started indoor percussion in the Northeast, but I know KIDA had indoor percussion stuff going back to the 70's.

Actually, the two used to be combined in to one if you go waaaaay back (like I do! :tongue:/> )

In my Garden State corps days our corps guard (and many others in the GSC) competed indoors, and the "music" was the corps drumline. We stood on the sideline playing while the guard performed. There was no prerecorded music.

Edited by MikeD

Do you all think SoundSport couldn't stand on its own? Does it even need to be during/intermingled with DCI shows?

I had envisioned this as being more of an indoor competitive activity with close ties to the drum corps world... not as side attractions.

Just me?

• Like 1

From what I understand of the concept, SS is actually better as NOT part of a drum corps show.

The endzone, the mall, the parking lot of a major sponsor, the local water park as a "flash mob"...

I think to keep the SS and DLB not necessarily tied to a show will allow it to sprout its own roots. Surely, there's an opportunity at a local show (or a regional, for that matter) but that's not the focus, from what I've learned.

• Like 1

Actually, the two used to be combined in to one if you go waaaaay back (like I do! :tongue:/>/> )

In my Garden State corps days our corps guard (and many others in the GSC) competed indoors, and the "music" was the corps drumline. We stood on the sideline playing while the guard performed. There was no prerecorded music.

and balance issues were fewer

:tongue:/>