More SoundSport and DrumLine Battle details released

Incidentally, a couple years ago, an amazing DCP reader mailed me some stuff from DCI's early years that I didn't have because I didn't come on board until 1975. One item is the DCI "guide to the contests" from the 1974 event, a one-sheet folded piece of paper creating a cover page and three pages of list of events.

In addition to the corps listed in Prelims, there was a Drill Team contest and a Guard Championship.

The Drill Team events on Thursday evening included the following: St. Francis Sancienettes, St. Patrick's Shamrocks, Piasa Indiana, Brigadetees, Lassies, Silhouettes, Buccaneers, St. Anthony's Imperials, St. Teresa Little Flowers, and Coronets.

The Guard Championship events on Friday evening included the following: Doremus, Vanguard, Cavaliers, N. Syracuse HS, Northmen, Chargers, Hurricane Cadets, Bucktail Wildcats, Ambassadors, St. Patrick's Shamrocks, Black Shield, Vanguard, Hamilton Squires, White Tornados, Zodiacs, Holy Family Defenders, Tri-Town Cadets, St. Anthony's Imperials, and Silhouettes.

easy entry into these events is a good thing, HOWEVER if they aren't smart about how they classify groups, this will get into one of those whoever has the most money and has the most flashy "stuff" will win. Just like in Drum Corps, they need to look for better ways to get the lesser funded groups to participate without everyone trying so hard to be like the Cadets or Blue Devils because that's what wins and that's all that matters (and then we lose corps).

Edited by dcibrando

I know I have trouble with patience, but I saw they mentioned on Twitter that they have groups from 17 countries signed up. Where's the registration form for US groups? Hurry up! :thumbup:/>

Mike

Do you think these ensembles from 17 countries were invited by DCI in a kind of "pre-registration" thing like the four mentioned on DCI.org?

This is a great piece of marketing if they did it that way... that way they can say from the beginning they're truly an International organization by recruiting outside the US.

Oh, I'm sure they did, so there's no "lead" time in getting it up and running - that's already been done, and the absolute best thing in the world to present here to get groups to sign up is an already-finished product they can point to and say, "join this." Again, whoever put this together *really* had their ducks in a row.

Mike

• Like 2

Another thing I just thought of (For Drumline Battle, anyway) Music rights. When you're restricted to battery, is that even really an issue? I don't claim to know, but my gut says "NOPE" which is another really good thing.

Another thing I just thought of (For Drumline Battle, anyway) Music rights. When you're restricted to battery, is that even really an issue? I don't claim to know, but my gut says "NOPE" which is another really good thing.

Probably not, unless you play a specific composition that is copy righted (for example, if someone were to play 'Diddy' note-for-note maybe)