More SoundSport and DrumLine Battle details released

Banning all pitched percussion isn't much better... If you want to use trash cans that you put on the floor I don't think that really fits into the idea of it being a DRUMLINE. And I think the original idea is for it be just cymbals, snares, tenors, and bassdrums. Drumline Battle isn't supposed to be a super orignal/creative venue. It's supposed to be strictly drumline related in the old school sense. That creative cool Stomp, Blue-man thing you want, that belongs in SoundSport.

That's true. I guess I'm losing sight on what the focus is: entertainment + trying to keep costs down in order to make it doable for any group on a tight budget vs old school drum line-type battles. I guess the way this thing is worded, it really does sound like it will be straight out of Drumline the movie. I'm not sure that really interests me much, in that respect. I've never been one to get all hyped in the lot; I get a lot of people are, and I'm sure this will appeal to a lot of people.

I guess I'm more interested, then, in the SoundSport thing instead. If that's an anything goes type of thing, though, I wonder how that will work. How, for example, does a STOMP or Blu-man thing compete against, say, Star United mini-corps?

I picked up this thread again at about #20 and was more than a little surprised by Dan's contention, when I have conflicting information about who was "consulted" prior to its announement. From what I understand both WGI and DCA were on board with the idea for several days prior to the release. Both groups support the effort. Ream's explanation of how the two do not overlap is more to my understanding than Dan's. I was most pleased when a real authority on the issue finally piped in, that being Mr. Boo.

Dan's information may be sourced to someone who was left out of the planning and may be sour grapes. I've heard that this was one of the most controlled announcements by DCI in a long time - not many knew it was coming.

Boo expreses my opinion if WGI is grousing about this effort; they didn't threaten DCI as they grew so what's the big deal now?

Further, WGI is judged on a critical scale not envisioned by SS and DLB. Judges can be anyone, from the show sponsor to a judge working the DCI show to the local car dealer who supports the show - in fact, all of them! It's not about national placement. It's about local bragging rights, having fun with summer music on a football field, and getting school kids to the stadium to root for their team.

The open architecture of the idea makes it sufficiently different from WGI that the two don't compete for attention at all. In fact, local drum battle groups may become good enough to think about stepping up from fun to critique by organizing for WGI.

I just don't see the basis for all the angst about who knew and who didn't. It's unimportant.

And if it is a turf war (it's not), so what? This is a fight for relevence and if it means DCI steps on a few toes to win that fight then so be it.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 4

Imagine a smaller version of something like this for SoundSport. This is the Norwegian Royal Guard Regiment, performing on ICE! And those are US Garand M-1 rifles that weigh nine pounds each. (The arranger of "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" is Johann DeMeij, who wrote the "Lord of the Rings" symphony.)

Imagine a smaller version of something like this for SoundSport. This is the Norwegian Royal Guard Regiment, performing on ICE! And those are US Garand M-1 rifles that weigh nine pounds each. (The arranger of "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" is Johann DeMeij, who wrote the "Lord of the Rings" symphony.)

This reminds me of a similar gig I was in. Back in the mid 70's the 26th Yankee Division (MA) allowed a bunch of D&BC veterans to form the 26th YD D&BC which was not part of the band. Since, at the time, this was all new and there were no Army MOS numbers for D&BC, I was slotted as a sax player. It was comprised of mostly Crusaders with many other Boston area corps included. At our first AT (annual training) up at FT. Drum, NY we were invited to play at a military type tattoo at some castle. We played Fanfare For The Common Man. We began playing outside the castle, then marched inside to complete our "routine".

We set some sort of record that first AT with the number of cases of beer consumed. The band hated us because whenever we did a military function, we were statues when stopped. Plus, the Commanding General would have us play at any formal staff functions.