What would you want to see at a drum corps museum?

There have been multiple efforts over the years to curate and display all of the incredible history of marching music, but most have run dry. What do you think are the most important points of the activity to showacase?

For example- should a museum focus on the past, present, or future? What kinds of community activities would you like to see? Would a travelling exhibit or a permanent collection be more appealing?

I'd like to see exhibits on the evolution of drum corps stuff...

•uniforms from heavy wool through washable stretch bibs that allow for greater movement, hat/shako styles

•flags from single colors and designs through multiple colors sewn together to new computer printed designs

•rifles from the heavy ones with the bolts built in to lightweight contemporary ones and Air Blades

•bugles from valve and rotor models to 2-valve and 3-valve models in G and into trumpets and bell-front tubas

•mouthpiece evolution, Jet Tone mouthpieces for screaming

•snare drums from rope-tensioned through evolutions of shells to accommodate additional strengthening and more lugs

•drum heads from calfskin to plastic and then Mylar and Kevlar heads and why those heads necessitated stronger shells and more lugs

•tenor drums from single drums to doubles, triples, quads, quints and beyond, plus the North tenors

•bass drums from single pitch to multiple drums

•drum materials from wood to composites to plastics (Ludwig Vistalite) and other materials

•mallet keyboards and timpani from models we had to carry to those in the pit

•Larry McCormick's flapjack timpani

•unusual pit instruments

•drum harnesses from plain leg braces through T-braces

•reinforced drummer harness vests and today's light-weight carriers

•stationary drum harness set-ups that people can stand inside to see what it's like to play snares, tenors and bass drums

•tracing of the controversy of amplification and electronics,•Astroturf and other artificial grass surfaces

•oscilloscope readings of reverb in famous stadiums, both open and enclosed

•a computer with elementary drill writing software to allow visitors to try their hand at creating a drill form

•souvie items from old-style buttons and t-shirts to today's offerings

•recordings from LPs and then cassettes to CDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray

•drum corps album art

•guard costumes from looking just like the rest of the corps to dance costumes

•sleeping arrangements from sleeping bags on bare floors and cots to Aerobeds

•sunscreen protection from the pre-SPF days to now

•hydration changes from plain water through electrolyte offerings

•food service changes from simple offerings on a table to the food trucks of today

•corps equipment vehicles from U-Haul trailers to step vans, fifth wheels and semis

•have an actual food truck and equipment truck parked outside at major shows for fans to walk through

•devices and training methods developed for athletic conditioning and injury prevention

•photos of each DCI World Championship stadium (including Division II/III-Open Class venues) showing view from performers' perspective

•tickets

•classic videos of DCI founders and Hall of Fame members talking about what they did

•more, more and more

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 7

Maybe some videos from when I marched where it doesn't cut away just before a good money shot of me! lol

• Like 1

Would a travelling exhibit or a permanent collection be more appealing?

Whether or not DCI stays in one place for many years a travelling museum gets my vote. It would not, with one rig, be able to stop at every show site, but over several years it should be able too. The major shows and finals week is a given each year.

A video of how current drills are created.

Edited by Ghost

A hands on exhibit similar to a science museum, where the physical differences between a G Bugle and Bb instrument are described complete with cross sectional illustrations, cutaway horns, etc.

The exhibit will then conclude with a large screen video of Carolina Crown's hornline playing their 2012 standstill rendition of Fanfare for the Common Man on their Bb intruments in its entirety while standing in an arc outdoors. A digital decibel meter would be displayed in the lower corner of the image as CC plays. Then, as the video continues to roll, they will be asked to pull their mouthpieces and put their Bbs on the ground in front of them, pick up 3-V G bugles already laid out, insert their mouthpeices and replay FFTCM with the same number of musicians. Given the telent level CC draws there is no doubt in my mind they could pull this off.

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 2

I'd like to see exhibits on the evolution of drum corps stuff...

•more, more and more

All wonderful suggestions! I think the Percussive Arts Society exhibit/experience right down the hall from DCI might have some of them covered already...

http://rhythmdiscoverycenter.org/uncategorized/drum-corps-international-hits-up-rhythm-discovery-center/

An opportunity to pick up equipment and spin or play is definitely way up on the list. What would you say to an integrated performance space for I&E, minicorps, or the new SoundSport and Drumline events?

• Like 1

Animatronic Michael Cesario & Steve Rondinaro.

For a dollar you can sit with them and watch your favourite show while they discuss it.

• Like 2