What would you want to see at a drum corps museum?

Tape of Carmine Appice(sp?) (Vanilla Fudge/Rod Stewarts band/etc) doing DCI Finals and zoning out watching the corps..... Was he flashing back or just so into the show he forgot he was on camera.

Rondo: "That was great, don't you think Carmine.... Carmine?".

Carmine: "Oh yeah... great".

Tape of Chuck Mangione asking corps members what to do with the thrid valve on his horn to play DC. Answer "Cut it off". CMs face on that was priceless....

Thought of that with the It's Bootsy Baby... comments.....

Chance to "host" a DCI telecast with Steve Rondinaro. "YOU CALL THE SHOTS!"

Exhibit: "The Origin of Drumspeak"

Voiceover narration provided by: Ralph "Groovology" Hardimon

A video presentation showing clips of various drum / percussion rehearsals with particular emphasis on the terminology and origin of various things drum-related, such as:

-- how warmup exercises like "Cheesey Poofs" get their name

-- rehearsal excerpts: "Gern!! You're flam on that feature was sla-bamma jammin SPAM! It's supposed to be oodily-oodily gaak gaak oodily-gaak!! Kindly join the party!!" <ENGLISH SUBTITLES PROVIDING TRANSLATION UNDER VIDEO IMAGE>

A hands on exhibit similar to a science museum, where the physical differences between a G Bugle and Bb instrument are described complete with cross sectional illustrations, cutaway horns, etc.

The exhibit will then conclude with a large screen video of Carolina Crown's hornline playing their 2012 standstill rendition of Fanfare for the Common Man on their Bb intruments in its entirety while standing in an arc outdoors. A digital decibel meter would be displayed in the lower corner of the image as CC plays. Then, as the video continues to roll, they will be asked to pull their mouthpieces and put their Bbs on the ground in front of them, pick up 3-V G bugles already laid out, insert their mouthpeices and replay FFTCM with the same number of musicians. Given the telent level CC draws there is no doubt in my mind they could pull this off.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the purpose would be to demonstrate the superiority of the G Bugle?

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 1

There have been multiple efforts over the years to curate and display all of the incredible history of marching music, but most have run dry. What do you think are the most important points of the activity to showacase?

No Drum Corps Museum would be complete without a mural of this :

http://www.123rf.com/photo_17438653_sun-block-cream-doodle-illustration.html

Edited by BRASSO

No Drum Corps Museum would be complete without a mural of this :

http://www.123rf.com/photo_17438653_sun-block-cream-doodle-illustration.html

It might not be a bad idea to have a health and sports medicine display.

[quote name='comeonfhqwhgads' timestamp='1359268174' post='3242676']
It might not be a bad idea to have a health and sports medicine display.
[/quote]
Electrodes are attached to the body of a museum-goer after they don the full tenor drum assemblage, and then they're sent around a jogging track at 180 beats-per-minute, instructed via a beep to for forward, backwards and sideways in both directions. Their heart and respiration rates are measured before, during and after. This will only happen after they sign a release that they are in excellent physical conditioning. An EMT will be waiting at the end, just in case. At the end, they'll be presented a button that reads, "Drum corps members are [i]superior[/i] athletes."

• Like 1

As much audio and video as possible.

I'd love to see old music as well...good old hand written stuff