Do they do this?

DCP is in no way an honest representation of the fandom.

. . . and you know this to be true. How?

I'm open to suggestion. If there is a more free and open source of drum corps opinions in one place, I'd like to participate there. Link?

. . . and you know this to be true. How?

I'm open to suggestion. If there is a more free and open source of drum corps opinions in one place, I'd like to participate there. Link?

There is a difference between a more open and free place available, and the content of this particular open and free place actually being representative of the fandom. Skewed information is, in fact, skewed information, regardless of whether or not there is a better source.

• Like 2

My guess? People from corps probably read DCP posts to gauge fan reactions in the summer months, to learn what works as far as public relations is concerned, and get a feeling of how corps is received overall. They may also make sure there are no unauthorized videos posted as we recently saw with the Colts or out and out slander as we've seen as well.

As far as G7 matters, matters concerning governance, judging, and other concerns that fill many DCP posts, they probably pay little if any attention believing we do not understand the intricacies of the issues, and in many cases they may be correct. I know I have been convinced that I have all the answers, even though I've never managed a drum corps. The only problem is my answers don't fit the questions.

In short, they look at what is helpful, and pay little attention or ignore the rest.

Edited by Tim K

Actually, I agree with you. DCP'ers are, likely, the most ardent fans of the activity. Most fans are not as involved in drum corps discussion as we are here.

While there are no research studies to prove it, there are strong and compelling indications that the most lovely ladies and the most handsome men in the Drum Corps fan base hang out here.

Edited by BRASSO

There is a difference between a more open and free place available, and the content of this particular open and free place actually being representative of the fandom. Skewed information is, in fact, skewed information, regardless of whether or not there is a better source.

To me, "skewed" indicates surreptitiously controlled to mislead. I just don't see that on this site. This entire audience is free to publicly accept/reject any position, and to receive consideration equal to what preceded.

I accept your view, but don't agree with it.

• Like 1

Ok here's my "research."

2012 DCI finals attendance: 17,820

DCP members with 1+ post: 12,020 (5800 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 10+ post: 6,580 (11,240 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 50+ post: 3,320 (14,500 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 100+ post: 2,300 (15,520 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 200+ post: 1480 (16,340 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 500+ post: 720 (17,100 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

And that doesn't even factor in which of these members marched BITD, recently, staff, new fans, old fans, etc

Internet forums are rarely an honest representation of opinion within said activity.

• Like 3

To me, "skewed" indicates surreptitiously controlled to mislead. I just don't see that on this site. This entire audience is free to publicly accept/reject any position, and to receive consideration equal to what preceded.

I accept your view, but don't agree with it.

For data to be skewed does not require any deliberate attempt to mislead. You're creating a definition to a word that doesn't exist.

I agree that this is a pretty fair and balanced place as far as moderation goes. The skew for the data doesn't come from restrictions on this site. It comes from who populates it. I know plenty of fans of varying opinions who never post on this site. I've heard points of view in conversation with friends and fans of the activity that I've never heard on this site. The people who populate this board are often the most passionate in regards to their viewpoints. That doesn't account for the "silent majority" of fans who have an opinion but don't voice it here. An online message board is hardly akin to a random survey in terms of statistical integrity, and as such can not be assumed to be an accurate representation of a population.

We can talk all day long about whether or not people are free to post their opinions on this site, and we'd probably agree (otherwise we wouldn't be on this site). That doesn't change the fact that its not an accurate representation of the drum corps population as a whole. I think if you took an unbiased survey of the general drum corps population (members, staff, fans etc) asking about the major topics being discussed currently in our activity, and compared it to the opinions reflected here, you'd find some pretty wild inconsistencies. From a statistical perspective, that's called skewed data.

The box office?

The box office only tells one part of the story. There's a group of people who are going to attend no matter what because they have friends and family involved in the activity. Wanna spot trends and desires? The box office doesn't give you that information. If there is a problem, the box office is a lagging indicator of what's going on and it could be too late to tell what's wrong and fix it if we use the box office as a metric.

Ok here's my "research."

2012 DCI finals attendance: 17,820

DCP members with 1+ post: 12,020 (5800 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 10+ post: 6,580 (11,240 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 50+ post: 3,320 (14,500 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 100+ post: 2,300 (15,520 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 200+ post: 1480 (16,340 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

DCP members with 500+ post: 720 (17,100 fewer than attended finals in a single year)

And that doesn't even factor in which of these members marched BITD, recently, staff, new fans, old fans, etc

Internet forums are rarely an honest representation of opinion within said activity.

You must learn about polling and statistical sampling and how it is used in the real world. We do not have to poll everyone in a population to infer things about that population. We take a sampling of the population. Of course the people that post here are a subsection of the population, so it's difficult to infer everything from the opinions here. We (DCP posters) are a good source to find out some trends though.